Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Leaves/debris in Microfiber

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaves/debris in Microfiber

Is there any way to get dried up leaves and small debris out of microfiber towels? I have been washing with microfiber rejuvenater and picking them out with limited success. I have a towel scratch in my deck lid from a small leaf. My only other recourse seem to be to toss the towel.

Any suggestions?

Dan
Old 06-24-2010, 09:19 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Dan
Is there any way to get dried up leaves and small debris out of microfiber towels? I have been washing with microfiber rejuvenater and picking them out with limited success. I have a towel scratch in my deck lid from a small leaf. My only other recourse seem to be to toss the towel.

Any suggestions?

Dan

To be honest, your best recourse is to toss the towel.

If you have tweezers and a good magnifying glass, I'm sure you could pick one out to somewhat of a useable standard in several hours, but when you amortize the time it took you vs. the cost of a new cloth, it's probably better to be safe and get a new one.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 AM
James92
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Dan

Any suggestions?

Dan
Turn your contaminated towels into wheel cleaning and interior wipe down towels. Your leaf debris will not scratch those surfaces unless, you have a piece that is very stiff and has a sharp point on it. Just try to get the obvious larger pieces out by using a piece of duct tape or a good sticky lint roller and you should be able to pick up anything that would harm those surfaces.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:12 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

downgrade them indeed to a place where it wont harm. I find it best to store MF towels in ziplocks, a seperate cabinet with doors, or those storage bins. They are indeed buggers for picking up anything they come in contact with so no other laundry and no dropping them.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:34 AM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sux when you're removing sealant or polish and the mf towel comes across the ground, picking everything up. Phooey! I have several like that. You can spend a lot of time trying to pick them clean or you can resign them to other chores. The other posters have given you the two best options.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TH0001@properautocare.com
To be honest, your best recourse is to toss the towel.

If you have tweezers and a good magnifying glass, I'm sure you could pick one out to somewhat of a useable standard in several hours, but when you amortize the time it took you vs. the cost of a new cloth, it's probably better to be safe and get a new one.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:04 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
downgrade them indeed to a place where it wont harm. I find it best to store MF towels in ziplocks, a seperate cabinet with doors, or those storage bins. They are indeed buggers for picking up anything they come in contact with so no other laundry and no dropping them.

garbage magnets!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

I had the same situation a couple of weeks ago. I went to a show on grass and as you would know it I drug two of the MF towels in the grass. I spent three hours with a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass to get all the debris out. In the end I got everything that I could feel and see out but I still retired the towels to non-painted surfaces. I replaced them with 540 MF.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:36 AM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys,
I was wondering if anyone had a brush technique or the like. I do relegate the bad ones to undercarriage of wheels. I really need to start putting the used ones in a sealed container prior to washing, as these are the worst just sitting in a pail in the garage.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Go to a pet shop and get a flea comb.

I inspect all my towels after drying, both visually and a quick wipe with the palm of my hand as I fold them.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:15 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

You can not "comb" the debris out. The micro-fiber is so fine it traps foreign matter like grass, leaves and such. A magnifying glass, tweezers and your sense of touch is the only way to rid you towels of most unwanted debris. That being said, I don't believe you can get it all. I retired my towels to non-painted surfaces. If you have a dark color car you can do serious damage by using a contaminated towel. Don't take the chance!

I always store my MF towels in an airtight plastic container to keep anything from contaminating the otherwise clean towels. I am very careful when it comes to touching the paint with anything.

Only use a MF cleaning agent to wash the towels. Never use fabric softener or most laundry soaps. MF cleaning agents are very cheap and do a great job. Always air dry when you can or dry on low heat to damp.

All this works for me!

Last edited by cmonkey713; 06-26-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaves/debris in Microfiber

Quick Reply: Leaves/debris in Microfiber