Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Can I use Z-5 only on my dd?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:26 PM
WesternNY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I use Z-5 only on my dd?

I used all the steps on my black vette years ago but stopped using it when I sold the car. I really liked the way the Z-5 filled in the minor swirls and made it shine.

I have a black car again with a lot of swirl marks that pop up after a couple washes. I liked being able to layer the Z-5 and use in between washes to help with the swirls.

Can I just use the Z-05 or do I need their base AIO or something? And does the Z-5 offer any protection?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Z5 does offer protection, as it is a really excellent sealant. However, for the best appearance, you should have the swirlmarks removed by polishing.

If you don't have a polisher, you can have a detailer polish your car, then you can start layering Z5.

Polishing is not absolutely mandatory, but it will definitely look better.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:48 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 457 Posts

Z5 is great stuff but offers very little ability in hiding/filling swirls.
You need to machine polish your car then use Z5.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:37 AM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Z-5 by itself does offer some protection provided the paint is prepared properly.

To get the maximum protection you would need an activator product either ZFX, Z-AIO or Z-CS.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
WesternNY
Advanced

I did have it buffed out last year but the paint is pretty beat and shows lots of little scratches that I wanted to touch up.

I wanted to use Z-5 but didn't know if I needed to use a base coat of Zaino for it to work. I've heard mixed things on that.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Default Yes & No

Good advice above. Z-5 used alone on a regular basis will protect and keep your finish shiny, but as with any protectant, preparation is a fundamental step necessary for good bonding and shine. If the finish has not been cleaned and buffed RECENTLY (washed, clayed and machine polished), you should do this to get the maximun shine out of the finish (paint/clearcoat). Then using Z-5 on a regular basis should be OK to retain that level on shine. Depending on the level of departure from the manufacturer's recommendations for preparation will effect the bonding of the Z-5 which in turn determines how long it will protect and maintain its shine.

Last edited by Onyasix; 05-23-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:58 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 922 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by WesternNY
I did have it buffed out last year but the paint is pretty beat and shows lots of little scratches that I wanted to touch up.

I wanted to use Z-5 but didn't know if I needed to use a base coat of Zaino for it to work. I've heard mixed things on that.

ZAIO is one of the few Z products I have not used, but in your case it sounds like just the right product. Follow with regular use of Z5 and you should be good to go.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

short answer is yes
Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Blue Demon Owner
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleper
short answer is yes
BUT......

Z-AIO makes a great base, then as many coats of Z-5 as you want but, as Sal Zaino says, the final coat should be Z-2 as it has higher reflectivity than Z-5. Oh, and Z-6 spray in between. I like to finish all of the above with a coat of Z-CS clear seal, the easiest of all. Just wipe it on and let it dry. I get 8 to 9 months durability this way.

WOLFDOGS, step on in here! The Forum's resident Zaino expert, with the greatest shining black 'Vette I have ever seen!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:57 PM
WesternNY
Advanced

I'm asking if I can get away with just one step and you are adding 5 more. You're going the wrong way.

I'll do the AIO if I need it but didn't want to waste too much time and money on the daily driver.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WesternNY
I'm asking if I can get away with just one step and you are adding 5 more. You're going the wrong way.

I'll do the AIO if I need it but didn't want to waste too much time and money on the daily driver.
The Z-AIO was produced for those that do not want to go through the more lengthly procedures involving Z-2, Z-5, ZFX, etc. AIO alone may be your best choice for your daily driver.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyasix
The Z-AIO was produced for those that do not want to go through the more lengthly procedures involving Z-2, Z-5, ZFX, etc. AIO alone may be your best choice for your daily driver.
True...
Old 05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I used zpc to get some water spots off my GFs ca, then added 2 layers of just Z-5. called it a day

Get notified of new replies

To Can I use Z-5 only on my dd?

Quick Reply: Can I use Z-5 only on my dd?