Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Detailed my dealer painted replacement top . . . and more

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 10:05 PM
BlueSpeed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Detailed my dealer painted replacement top . . . and more

After having my C6 roof panel replaced under recall, the paint on the replacement top was perfectly matched however it was full of swirl marks. Not wanting to take it back and with the help of this forum's "search" button I decided to tackle a full detailing project myself here's what I used:

Meguiars clay
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover w orange pad
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze w white pad
Zaino Z-2
Zaino Z-6
Simichrome for the exhaust tips
PC 7424xp
Meguiars Hot Rim All wheel cleaner (I will not use again as it is too strong and it stained my rotors and faded the stickers on my wheel caps- it does clean very well though) I will try P21S wheel cleaner next
Meguiars endurance tire gel

First off, as many have said before, it's ALL in the prep work. The car was first clayed, the clay is an amazing product and was surprised at how much contaminants it picked up from the paint, then I only polished the top with WG TSR since it was the only area with swirls, then the whole car was polished with WG FG, at this point the paint was very smooth, shiny and swirl free. For the final sealant I went with Z2 although I have used WG Deep Gloss Sealant in the past with good results.

It was a full days work but well worth it, the car now has that wet look and the metallic pops.

Last edited by BlueSpeed; 05-24-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Shazaam ..... absolutely gorgeous !!

your absolutely right on wheel cleaners, stick with something safe yet effective like P21S or Griots. I use both on my uncoated Iforged wheels and highly recommend them. Thanks also for using our polishes !

Quick Reply: Detailed my dealer painted replacement top . . . and more