Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Tipping?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:42 AM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tipping?

Do you tip your detailer? I mean, he does the work, cash goes to him so do you tip above the cost of the detailing?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

I would say if you are very happy iwth the results........YES, i would tip him. After all, we tip our servers, paper boys ect.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:32 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by MThomas
I would say if you are very happy iwth the results........YES, i would tip him. After all, we tip our servers, paper boys ect.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 AM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

sometimes I get one, most of the time I dont....

delivering pizza's in high school, tips were always very nice to get and you always remembered the good tippers and made sure their pizza got there quick and hot.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:15 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't see the need.
Contract for work at an agreed upon price, do the work, pay for the work.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:40 AM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I tip myself as I am the detailer
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I get tips very often, but never really expect them. It is nice though.

Josh
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For whatever it's worth...

I've never paid to have any of my cars detailed as I'm a detailer. But I make it a practice in life to tip generously anytime I get great service and especially if the place I'm at is a place I frequent on any kind of regular schedule, for example a favorite restaurant. I find it insures continued top notch service and if the person taking care of me is genuinely doing their best and usually their very best, I like to recognize it.

When I detail cars, I always pour my heart and soul into the job; I quit doing daily drivers probably a week or two into my detailing career as I was lucky to somehow continually meet owners of "Special Interest" cars and get their business.

Point being while I might pour my heart and soul into a daily driver, it wouldn't be the same as pouring one's heart and soul into a really cool 1959 Corvette for example when you machine compound and polish every square inch of paint on the car...

If it has paint... it gets polished...

This is me wiping M16 off the lower panels of a 1959 Corvette after doing a multi-step rotary buff-out.

But regardless of whether you're paying a detailer to work on your Toy, (whatever it might be), or your Grocery-Getter, even after agreeing on a set price, if they do a good job, give them a tip.

Most detailers I've known in my life detail cars because they have a passion for the craft, rarely do I ever meet anyone that's doing this kind of work only motivated to make a buck.

So if your detailer does a good job, tip them. If they do an out-of-this-world GREAT job, then let them know, not only tip them but make the transaction an over-the-top win/win deal by giving them some word-of-mouth business.

If they do a great job for you, chances are very good they will do a great job for your buddies and if you buddy's cars look like Swirl City, definitely,

Ask your detailer for a few extra business cards and do a little pro-active promotion of their business for them.

A tip is nice, heck I'll do a cartwheel in the front yard if I get a tip, but most detailers live or die by word-of-mouth-advertising and most are not very good about asking for referrals, so step up to the plate and help them out a little if you're in a position to, like at the next club meeting when you notice your buddy Steve's 1972 Corvette looks nice except for all the swirls in the paint.

Pay it forward...

Last edited by MikePhillips; 04-07-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys! Shall I assume the standard 20%?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:20 PM
RaskyR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshVette
I get tips very often, but never really expect them. It is nice though.

Josh
Same here.

I think Mikes post really hit it home though. We do pour are heart and soul into these jobs.

However, getting a response from the customer like DJ Mayo recently received on one of the detailing forums would mean a LOT more to me than getting a tip.

Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Guys,

I'm the owner of this particular car and I just wanted to stop in say that it's really jaw dropping at what DJ was able to achieve with it. I had no idea the shape it was in, prior to seeing the before pics. I mean, I knew it had some swirls but I guess that there was so much wax/filler in there, that it was masking the true issues.

I did my homework on DJ before tossing my keys to him for a week. It's one thing to hand over the keys to my E-Class or R-Class, but this car is a completely different animal. The others are daily beaters, but this car is my dream car, my passion, my marital affair. I read nothing but good things about him, so I loaded up the family and they followed me for the 100+ miles down to see him. We chatted for a few minutes, I left the keys and made the 100 mile trip back home, with a 4 year old and 20 month old nonetheless.

I got daily updates from DJ, as I'm sure he was very aware of the tremendous trepidation, I had, associated with leaving a 600+ hp supercar in the hands of a complete stranger. I told him it was okay to do some smokey burnouts as long as he took pictures and cleaned up his mess in the fender wells, though.

As you can see, the results were nothing short of jaw dropping. I'm one of those dummies that just assumed black cars are black cars and swirls are part of the contract. I wasn't quite prepared for what I saw. I'd never seen black look so......well.....BLACK! Truly a testament to his dedication, hard work and stratospheric skill set.

I was a giddy child, with a new toy. Got nothing but thumbs up and stares the whole way home. AND IT WAS NIGHTTIME!

As DJ mentioned, the dolts at the tint shop thought they'd do me a favor and wipe down the car with a MF cloth after installation. My knees almost buckled when I saw the huge sweeping clean spots on an otherwise road salt and dirt covered car. After having a spirited conversation with the owner, they agreed to pay for the damages. But not before offering to have their "detail guy" clean it up. "No chance" I said. I'm going to the guy that others go to, to learn how to do this stuff. True to their word, I handed them the bill and they handed me cash. Twas an accident, but still hurt like hell as the car hadn't even been washed since DJ transformed her into the work of art she is.

The second time he worked his voodoo on her, it was a much easier task. Six hours instead of 5 days, and I came to his shop equipped with a laptop and energy drinks. The waiting room is equipped with comfortable furniture, flat screen TV and internet access. I did some work, watched some of the NCAA tourney, and even gave DJ a hand with the car.

The ride home this time, was a different story. It was a daylight, top down drive home. I counted 4 thumbs, countless stares and one guy in a Prius flipped me off. No, really, he did. Maybe it was the V12 Biturbo badge, not sure though.

I can't say enough about the work that this man does. Truly an artist in his field and a great guy. Maybe those burnouts are still an option....

Thanks again, DJ.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:23 PM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RaskyR1

However, getting a response from the customer like DJ Mayo recently received on one of the detailing forums would mean a LOT more to me than getting a tip.

Great point, can't believe I left out taking a moment to post some feedback to whatever forum you call "home" to provide a cyber tip...

Good point Rasky!

Old 04-07-2010, 12:25 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

How come we don't tip for the great utility services we recieve or the great service from the IRS? Anyone tipped them for being audited? Just saying. LOL I've been known to leave a tip larger than the cost of my meal. What's a shame is when people do a mediocre job and expect a tip instead of seeing the tip as recognition of great performance coupled with personalized service. Anyone can bring a plate a food or wash a car, but a true servant does more than that. They give whole heartedly without being "fair" minded. I've met many a server who based their level of service based on what they thought the person was going to tip. They made their future come true. That person tipped very little because the service was poor. That my friends, is the common way of the world.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jpuli28
Thanks guys! Shall I assume the standard 20%?
That's the norm I like to use...

Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

When I detail for others, I charge what I feel is fair for the job. If they tip, that's great, but I don't expect it. However, *I* try to be a generous tipper where I can when others take special care of me.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:41 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

Mike your dead on. I love when I get tipped by a customer, it shows me they feel like they got more then they paid for, which most of the time they do. But I have to say, the WOW expression is what I hope for most even over a tip when someone is "speechless" after they see there car, it makes all the effort and pride I put into it worthy.
After all most of us started out doing this to our own cars and realized we were good at it. Because we took pride in our effort.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have been self-employed for 35 years. I charge a "premium" top-tier rate to all my clients - so that they have a right to expect outstanding service to begin with. I have never received a "tip" (just like most Doctors or Lawyers, etc,). To me, a "tip" would be a possible client referral or repeat business (not a monetary gratuity). Fortunately, I have never had a one-time client - all have been "repeat clients" and nearly all have referred me to others. In fact, I have never spent one dollar in advertising my services! To me that beats ANY "gratuity".

In my opinion "tips" (while well intentioned) just lead to prejudice as they soon become "expected" - just human nature. That said, I do tip at restaurants and for pizza delivery - not to get good service, just in hopes that they will not do something unspeakable to the food before I receive it. So, in my case, a "tip" is not for great service, but rather a form of expected "extortion". A bribe that has become necessary thanks to someone else who made a person feel like they were not properly compensated to begin with for their efforts. After that it just gets into a "tipping war" to see who is willing to pay the most for the same service.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:05 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like just about every detailer here I never expect a tip (EVER) but am lucky to have some very generous clients who appreciate good work. I have even tried to turn down some rather excessive tips, but get the cold shoulder.

I don't think it is necessary to tip a detailer unless you know they are giving you a price break (maybe meet them in the middle if the work is awesome?) but then if they are making it obvious you are getting a price break and keep mentioning it, I wouldn't tip them in that case either.

Get notified of new replies

To Tipping?

Quick Reply: Tipping?