Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Drying the Corvette with air compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drying the Corvette with air compressor

Hey guys and gals, a question on drying the Corvette.

For the first time today I used a leaf blower (200+ mph) to dry my car. I was previously using a cordless vacuum that did a decent job but took too long. The leaf blower was 40 bucks so I figured why not.

As well as the leaf blower worked, it got me wondering about those of you that use air compressors to dry your cars. What kind of PSI and volume capacity are you using to dry the car?

The leaf blower is a bit heavy and loud, just wondering how much cash I'd sink into an air compressor if I chose that route.

Thanks for your input!
Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 PM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a pretty decent air compressor, but it still don't have enough oomph to get the job done. And my leaf blower is gas powered, tried that once, and ended up with tiny little oil speckles on the paint. I just buy cheap shammys, use them once or twice, and toss em. I do use my compressor to blow out the mirrors, lights, and a few little nooks and crannies.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've tried the leaf method and thought it was more effort than it was worth. If the car is waxed, as all good vettes are, I just do a final rinse with no nozzle on the hose. Most of the water just sheets off and the remainder is very easy to dry off. If I plan to wax it right after the wash, I use compressed air to blow the water out of places it likes to hide like around trim, mirrors, lights, etc. I suppose there is some risk of very fine scratches if the compressor has some foreign matter in the tank or hose but I've never had a problem with it. I wouldn't bother trying to do the whole car with it though.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:32 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

I have a fairly large air compressor that I use to use to blow out the mirrors lights, etc. I tried using it on the rest of the car but it didn't work well. The wife bought an electric leaf blower (225 mph) that does a great job. It is a little heavy and very noisy. So noisy that I have to wear ear protection. Would love to buy one of the Master Blasters........someday.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:40 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a new "Blow Dryer" for my car, it was used only a few times... I never heard of it its a "Monica Lewinsky" and was used by a guy who lives in the next town to me "William Jefferson Clinton"... He seems like a nice enough guy, but said his health prevents him from doing too much physical work, he has his car detailed now...

After I use the "Lewinsky" one or two more times I'll give a full report on how well it works...The wife wants to know why I have to take it out with me when I go to Cruise night...

I'll think of something.... I WILL be renting it out for you guys who want a quick Blow Dry for your cars...
Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't use my air compressor to dry the car. I do, however, use it sparingly to blow out some of the cracks and crevices (such as around the side markers, the rear spoiler, side mirrors, tail lights, the trough around the cargo area, etc.). I'll also use it to blow some of the water off the wheels. I'm careful to always bleed and vent the compressor to remove any moisture.

Mine's a Craftsman 160psi with (I think) a 30 gal tank and its enough to drive most any tool I might want to use. Compressor prices can vary depending on brand and capacity. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I know Sears has them on sale from time to time.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:42 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

It's expensive, but the Air Force Master Blaster does a great job.

Heated, clean, dry and powerful air blasted from a nozzle on the end of a vacuum cleaner type of hose.

It's easy to maneuver into the tight spaces and works great on the nooks and crannies as well as the car in general. Wheels are especially easy to dry with this.

Several Forum Vendors sell them.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I don't use my air compressor to dry the car. I do, however, use it sparingly to blow out some of the cracks and crevices (such as around the side markers, the rear spoiler, side mirrors, tail lights, the trough around the cargo area, etc.). I'll also use it to blow some of the water off the wheels. I'm careful to always bleed and vent the compressor to remove any moisture.

Mine's a Craftsman 160psi with (I think) a 30 gal tank and its enough to drive most any tool I might want to use. Compressor prices can vary depending on brand and capacity. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I know Sears has them on sale from time to time.
I also have a Craftsman 5HP and use it to blow out mirrors, crevices etc. It works very well on the chrome wheels....after blowing 95% of the water off them, I can go back with a towel and get the few remaining drops. I wouldn't buy a leaf blower just to dry the car...my compressor gets used for many other tasks also.

PS Wayne, its so dry here, I have never been able to get any condensation at all out of the drain....funny.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 AM
BowTieBob
Instructor

Another vote for the Air Force Master Blaster. Best thing I have used yet to dry the car. Works great on the motorcycle also.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Marc Lefebvre
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a Toro electric leaf blower I bought at Home Depot for $70. It was the most powerful one I could find with an air speed rating of 235 mph. It is lightweight but is loud. It works awesome. I have a good routine now and it takes me about 10 mins. to do the car. It comes out very good with no water spots at all. Best $70. I have spent, works great on my Harley too.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:49 AM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I do the very exact thing.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:04 AM
ABNRGR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BowTieBob
Another vote for the Air Force Master Blaster. Best thing I have used yet to dry the car. Works great on the motorcycle also.

Just used mine for the 1st time last week.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:31 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
I've tried the leaf method and thought it was more effort than it was worth. If the car is waxed, as all good vettes are, I just do a final rinse with no nozzle on the hose. Most of the water just sheets off and the remainder is very easy to dry off. If I plan to wax it right after the wash, I use compressed air to blow the water out of places it likes to hide like around trim, mirrors, lights, etc. I suppose there is some risk of very fine scratches if the compressor has some foreign matter in the tank or hose but I've never had a problem with it. I wouldn't bother trying to do the whole car with it though.
It can still take me another 20 minutes using a Craftsman 230 mph leaf blower to get rid of most of the water. But before using leaf blower the California Water Blade works great for fast removal of water.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:48 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

We have an in-ground pool that needs to have the lines blown out (35 ft length) of all water in order to put antifreeze in the lines so they don't freeze.

Considering this thing forces water to shoot about 15 feet out of the these lines I tried it on the car last summer and holy crap, it worked awesome.

It's a cyclone blower (tiny little 12"x12" box - yellow) and it's sole job is to provide force for blowing out water.

I'll look up the manufacturer and part number. I know it wasn't cheap, it was like $400 but it sure works great and it's no louder then a shop vac.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 AM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Have a look at the Air Force Master Blaster. Hi speed, heated air unit designed specifically for the purpose of drying off the car. I use a water blade for bulk water removal and then the Master Blaster.

I have them available and they are currently on sale.

http://www.theredlion.us/afmb.htm

I also have a special package running right now with the Master Blaster and Metro Vac sold as a package.

http://www.theredlion.us/mbvcombo.htm

Last edited by talon90; 02-21-2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:50 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
We have an in-ground pool that needs to have the lines blown out (35 ft length) of all water in order to put antifreeze in the lines so they don't freeze.

Considering this thing forces water to shoot about 15 feet out of the these lines I tried it on the car last summer and holy crap, it worked awesome.

It's a cyclone blower (tiny little 12"x12" box - yellow) and it's sole job is to provide force for blowing out water.

I'll look up the manufacturer and part number. I know it wasn't cheap, it was like $400 but it sure works great and it's no louder then a shop vac.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
It's expensive, but the Air Force Master Blaster does a great job.

Heated, clean, dry and powerful air blasted from a nozzle on the end of a vacuum cleaner type of hose.

It's easy to maneuver into the tight spaces and works great on the nooks and crannies as well as the car in general. Wheels are especially easy to dry with this.

Several Forum Vendors sell them.
What is the cost of this and do you have any pics of what this looks like?

Get notified of new replies

To Drying the Corvette with air compressor

Old 02-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Airforce Master Blaster all the way! Buy one today from Paul (talon90). You WILL NOT be disappointed as it is simply the best!
Old 02-21-2010, 08:09 AM
pmj341
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by jpee
I just bought a new "Blow Dryer" for my car, it was used only a few times... I never heard of it its a "Monica Lewinsky" and was used by a guy who lives in the next town to me "William Jefferson Clinton"... He seems like a nice enough guy, but said his health prevents him from doing too much physical work, he has his car detailed now...

After I use the "Lewinsky" one or two more times I'll give a full report on how well it works...The wife wants to know why I have to take it out with me when I go to Cruise night...

I'll think of something.... I WILL be renting it out for you guys who want a quick Blow Dry for your cars...
I might want to rent it for my vacation in Tenn, I have one at home
it's old but works great
Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Cybernetic Medic
Exactly how I dry my car, except that after rinsing it with the nozzle off the hose, I do use a leaf blower. BUT, I don't try to get the car completely dry with the leaf blower - I just get the bulk of it off then use a towel. I sometimes do use a compressor for the small areas.

A compressor going through one of those nozzles doesn't put out near enough volume for the entire car.

Quick Reply: Drying the Corvette with air compressor