Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Optimum No Rinse car wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 06:55 PM
kmk56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimum No Rinse car wash

It has been cold for the last 3 weeks and I need to wash the car. It has been out in the snow a bit and is dirty. The wheels are also pretty dirty. Should I use Optimum or would it be a major task or if it is too dirty do I take a chance of scratching it.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:22 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

ONR is well lubricated, just remember to follow the directions. Many use ONR all the time due to water restrictions and rules in certain rental (apartment) settings.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
comes in smaller trial size, and gallon sizes too.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 01-11-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 PM
Innovative714
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have always washed my vehicels or customers cars the traditional way using a quality automotive soap, 2 buckets and grout sponges...After all the posts on the different forums and the raves I thought I would give ONR a try. Just purchased my first gallon, used it to prep a F360 Spyder, loved the results.........

The method I used was a 2 bucket ( 1 bucket for ONR 2 ounces : 4 gal H20 ) the other bucket was just pure water for rinse out. 2 large MF towels one for wet wipedown application the other for drying. I left all the lowers, rockers, wheel well arches, diffuser and rear bumber areas for last. After the initial prep, the vehicle was thoroughly clayed, rotary polished, D/A polished, D/A waxed.....

I would definately use ONR again as a substitute for a tradition full vehicle bath if water limitations apply. ( If vehicle is EXTREMELY dirty I may be more hesitant...and may suggest visiting a coin wash first for a pre rinse to remove heavy build up then follow up with ONR)

Last edited by Innovative714; 01-12-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I bought a gallon of ONR and tried it out on my truck and wifes car and was pleased with the results. used it alos on a couple of detail gigs on older muscle cars to dont do too well with water being sprayed on them.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:49 PM
ELECTRONC5
Instructor

Default Onr

Got a sample, used it for the first time 3 wks ago..VERY pleased!! I probably woudn't use it if there was a lot of road salt, etc. At least on the Vette..maybe on my truck..:<) It's a real time/body saver when it's cold!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Storm2313
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ONR works perfectly...

I have to tell you after trying it out for myself and seeing how easy to use this product is it definetly is worth the money. I have read different methods, but I keep my vehicle real clean other than dust from the garage and use it as a detailer which is the best I have used..Removes bugs and tar with ease...

My suggestion on dirty wheels is to spray and let sit on the wheels for around 2 minutes (make sure you use deionized water to protect from spotting) the stuff is amazing on how it actually flows the dirt and grime off...

I have also used it as an additive to a traditional Detailers Class Meguiars Blue car wash and my god between the suds and slickness it was pretty unbelievable...I still believe if your car is real dirty your better off hitting it with a pressure washer or hose to break free the majority of the big stuff and to get in all the nooks and crannys..

I also would recommend a light spray when drying the car to remove any newly formed spots that may appear if you miss a spot drying..It really has a place in all our detaling gear..
Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/dp-rinseless-four-in-one.html

We updated our own blend, DP Line, for those looking for an alternative 4-1 product and rinseless wash. I would love to see/hear the results
Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 AM
0Autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do prefer traditional washes most of the time, but no-rinse washes do come in handy quite a bit. Whether I'm working on a classic car that I don't want to directly hit with a hose, or weather is not permitting a wash outside, or I'm just looking to clean the bugs off the front clip of my car....the list goes on. Give it a shot - you might be surprised at how easy it is to use, and how well it works.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I just tried out ONR on my C5 yesterday for the very first time and was very happy with the results! Because my car had some salt on it I ended up going over the paint twice just to be sure, but when I was done no dirt showed up as I was drying off the finish.

Has anyone tried the DP stuff and ONR to compare which they like better?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:21 PM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Originally Posted by Autogeek.net
I do prefer traditional washes most of the time, but no-rinse washes do come in handy quite a bit. Whether I'm working on a classic car that I don't want to directly hit with a hose, or weather is not permitting a wash outside, or I'm just looking to clean the bugs off the front clip of my car....the list goes on. Give it a shot - you might be surprised at how easy it is to use, and how well it works.
do forum members get a discount ?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:21 PM
RaskyR1
Racer

Originally Posted by kmk56
It has been cold for the last 3 weeks and I need to wash the car. It has been out in the snow a bit and is dirty. The wheels are also pretty dirty. Should I use Optimum or would it be a major task or if it is too dirty do I take a chance of scratching it.
I'd suggest a good rinse at the coin-opp first. With ONR a few factors come into play that I took from my post over on Autopia.
  • Location is a huge factor IMO. ONR may work well on a regular basis for those who live down south, but up here in the snow and salt covered roads a pre-rinse is a must....and at that point I'm not sure it's any faster that a traditional wash, but it is much more convenient.
  • Some paints are simply more prone to marring than others....my Acura being one of them. ONR works great in the summer when I only have a light dust from a few days of driving, but it marred the heck out of my paint in the winter when I tried it covered in sand/salt without rinsing it first.
  • For cars that haven't been washed in several month or vehicles that were never really maintained well, ONR simply does not have the cleaning power of traditional car soaps. For cars like this a traditional wash is far more effective.

I love using ONR when it is the better option, and it will always have a place in my arsenal, but it will never fully replace a traditional wash for me. What works for one person doesn't always work for everyone else either.

Rasky

Last edited by RaskyR1; 02-23-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Optimum No Rinse car wash

Quick Reply: Optimum No Rinse car wash