Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

5 years and 303 protectant

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 12:34 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Default 5 years and 303 protectant

My build is 10/14/04 and I've only used a damp cloth and air dry for the interior as per owners manual.

It seems that the ebony interior was starting to look a dull light black gray. I've only used distilled water, but I guess it's aging, but not to a good color. Last month I saw my friends '06 Z06 interior and he used 303and it looked pretty good.

I've been hesitant to use anything, especially if it dries anywhere near wet, like Armoural.

Well, I broke down after 5 years and tried 303 a few days ago. It took a few hours to apply. You have to get in all the crevesses because it's quite a color difference if you don't. The toughest part is where the dash meets the windshield. The dash slopes down and you have to get the 303 down in there. Then you have to get the windshield clean because the 303 got on it, which mars the 303...it just takes time and effort.

I hope it stays on and I don't have to constantly touch it up.

All in all it looks great. I wonder if you applied it when you first got your car, like mine 5 years ago, how it would look now?

Last edited by ufso; 11-30-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

303 is good stuff!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 02:02 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

It is something that needs to be applied on a regular basis to keep the protective qualities present.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:40 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ZaneO
It is something that needs to be applied on a regular basis to keep the protective qualities present.
Yeah, but I'm not looking for the protective qualities. I never leave it in the sun for long periods. If I do, then I use the windshield protector, or whatever its called.

I just wanted my interior to look new again with very rare touchup...and that I hope it does...the less work the better!

Last edited by ufso; 11-30-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/glass-master-pro.html

303 is indeed a great product for interiors and offers great UV protection. If you are having a hard time getting those hard to reach areas and yet removing from glass, consider the Glass Master. With a change of the bonnet you can do both activities with ease. Best part, it also gets the small area around the HUD on C5/C6's.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ufso
My build is 10/14/04 and I've only used a damp cloth and air dry for the interior as per owners manual.

It seems that the ebony interior was starting to look a dull light black gray. I've only used distilled water, but I guess it's aging, but not to a good color. Last month I saw my friends '06 Z06 interior and he used 303and it looked pretty good.

I've been hesitant to use anything, especially if it dries anywhere near wet, like Armoural.

Well, I broke down after 5 years and tried 303 a few days ago. It took a few hours to apply. You have to get in all the crevesses because it's quite a color difference if you don't. The toughest part is where the dash meets the windshield. The dash slopes down and you have to get the 303 down in there. Then you have to get the windshield clean because the 303 got on it, which mars the 303...it just takes time and effort.

I hope it stays on and I don't have to constantly touch it up.

All in all it looks great. I wonder if you applied it when you first got your car, like mine 5 years ago, how it would look now?
The first question I would ask is why did the dashboard turn gray?

Is it from UV damage (is the car parked outside/subject to a lot of UV rays) or is it from a film, possible caused by the wiped owns with water.

Similar to how a car gets water spots, wiping the surface with a damp towel (and leaving behind water) will leave some mineral deposits behind which can, over time, gray the finish.

Did you notice any gray color transferring to the towel as you applied the 303.

will lightly clean the surface so it might have removed any mineral residue, but how long it lasts will depend on how clean the surface it was applied to was.

In general like to clean the dash with a mild APC like Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner diluted 10:1 or 1Z Einszett Plastik-Reiniger and towel dry. This will ensure the surface is clean and the protectant you choose will last longer.

Because 303 has a light cleaning ability and UV protection there is a good chance that if you used this frequently the interior would not have grayed to begin with.

Todd

Old 11-30-2009, 05:19 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TH0001
The first question I would ask is why did the dashboard turn gray?

Is it from UV damage (is the car parked outside/subject to a lot of UV rays) or is it from a film, possible caused by the wiped owns with water.

Similar to how a car gets water spots, wiping the surface with a damp towel (and leaving behind water) will leave some mineral deposits behind which can, over time, gray the finish.

Did you notice any gray color transferring to the towel as you applied the 303.

will lightly clean the surface so it might have removed any mineral residue, but how long it lasts will depend on how clean the surface it was applied to was.

In general like to clean the dash with a mild APC like Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner diluted 10:1 or 1Z Einszett Plastik-Reiniger and towel dry. This will ensure the surface is clean and the protectant you choose will last longer.

Because 303 has a light cleaning ability and UV protection there is a good chance that if you used this frequently the interior would not have grayed to begin with.

Todd

If you look at any ebony interior of an early '05, and nothing has been applied to it, you'll see that the color has changed slightly.

I've used distilled water because it's as clean as you can get.

I only followed the owners manual in reference to cleaning the interior.

Like I said, I hope it lasts a long time without constant touchups and I didn't see anything on the soft dark towel that I was using while appling the 303.

Anyway, thanks for the added info, but a bit too late for me.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ufso
If you look at any ebony interior of an early '05, and nothing has been applied to it, you'll see that the color has changed slightly.

I've used distilled water because it's as clean as you can get.

I only followed the owners manual in reference to cleaning the interior.

Like I said, I hope it lasts a long time without constant touchups and I didn't see anything on the soft dark towel that I was using while appling the 303.

Anyway, thanks for the added info, but a bit too late for me.
If you used distilled water then mineral deposits cannot be the problem. I think you will get good life out of the 303, glad it looks better!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TH0001
If you used distilled water then mineral deposits cannot be the problem. I think you will get good life out of the 303, glad it looks better!
Thanks!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Einszett cockpit premium . It won't leave ANY wet greasy residue . If just makes your plastic and vinyl parts look new . It's the best IMO
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by arkus
Try Einszett Cockpit Premium . It won't leave ANY wet greasy residue . If just makes your plastic and vinyl parts look new . It's the best IMO

I too love the look, because its new and natural. But for those looking for a matte appearance, there is no better than 303. Thats why we carry both, for personal choice.

http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html
Old 12-01-2009, 02:10 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually have both also . I use the 303 for exterior plastic and rubber trim .

Get notified of new replies

To 5 years and 303 protectant

Quick Reply: 5 years and 303 protectant