Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

First Experience with Master Blaster dryer poor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Macbeth182
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also own one. For 1 thing ... you can have NOTHING ELSE I MEAN NOTHING ELSE on the same circuit as it or you will blow it. End of story. The point of it (imo) is not to dry the car faster. The point of it is that it is one less item that touches your car. You will have less swil marks because of this item. Keep using it ... you will learn some quick tricks on how to make your job shorter!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I went this route JUMBO

The jumbo vac 'n blow. It is basically the same thing as the Master Blaster with one engine, but it also vacuums as well. It wall mounts, and has a ton of hose and attachments. I find it dries the car just fine. It takes a little bit longer then my blower, but not much.

So I am able to dry the car, vacuum the car, and I also use it to blow dry my Rottweiler and Lab after baths. You think a dog likes sticking their head out the window? They love the vac n' blow.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by indyf1
This high powered dryer sounds like a great idea with reports that it cuts drying time by 2/3rds. I was impressed with the quality and build of the unit.

The first thing I noticed is that switching on both motors for full power, blows my 15-amp circuit breaker within a minute - so I have to pay an electrician to put in a 20-amp outlet in my garage. If I want to dry it in the driveway I'm going to have to find a thick high power extension cord that is not any longer than necessary, according to an electrician.

I tried drying my black Vette in the garage having made sure to keep the car all wet through the washing process. It is nice to be able to dry off the brake discs.

It took me three times as long to dry it as it does with towels. I did use the low power setting for half of the job. I was surprised at how the water did not just disappear right off the hood, but just kept spreading thinly around. There is also constant rewetting from water blown out of crevices.

Once I was done, I noticed dirt streaks all over it. It looked worse than when I began. I had to wash the car again and dry it with towels.

The car is used and new to me, but the surface feels smooth as if it is polished and waxed. Perhaps a new polish and wax job will help.

I am guessing that the main problem is my hard well water, although it hasn't been a problem when I use towels to dry it. I contacted a plumber who is going to hook me up with a spigot to use in my garage that comes out of my water softener. (Note: there are inline water softeners available for your hose if you choose.) He also noticed my 40-gal water heater is way past its prime and I will be installing a new 65-gallon one. He said he can rig a spigot off of that so that I can use hot soft water to wash the car. Does anyone know if using hot water is a bad idea? Would it be better to have a Y put in so that I can adjust temperature, perhaps use very warm water for wash and cold for rinse?

Once all these jobs are done, which may take weeks, I'll try and post results to see if these three jobs (new outlet, polish/wax and soft water rinse) make the Master Blaster live up to its reputation.

At any rate, if you have hard water and 15-amp circuits, you might want to consider the extra cost involved for using the Master Blaster.
It definitely takes less muscle than using towels.
I have had similar results with the MB on my black C5 with hard water. I think the hard water is the main culprit. I now wash the car, then use the MB just on the seams to flush all the grit out that water will not release by itself, then rinse the entire car before using the MB for the final dry. Because of the hard water I still get a duller finish than with towels so I have to go over everything with Z6 or Z8 as a final step.

I don't consider the fuse tripping to be the fault of the MB. In most cases if I start the fans one at a time, it will not trip the fuse.

You do have to watch the outlet hose on the unit itself and make sure it has a straight path. If the hose has much of a bend at the connection, the hot air will burn a hole right through the hose!
Old 08-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vette Suspension
Use my Toro leaf blower and WOW.... is that thing powerful.
Toro's Power Sweep - 160 mph - 14,080 ft/min

Toro's Utra Bower Vac - 235 mph - 20,680 ft/min

Metro Master Blaster:

..........Single motor - 332 mph - 29,250 ft/min

..........Both motors - 664 mph - 58,500 ft/min

Last edited by Onyasix; 08-30-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:59 PM
tdekany
Racer

Originally Posted by PJC6

I use my electric leaf blower, then the water blade and then my towels, takes 5-10 minutes.

Be careful with the waterblade. I'd not use it if I cared about the condition of the paint. m2c.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onyasix
Toro's Power Sweep - 160 mph - 14,080 ft/min

Toro's Utra Bower Vac - 235 mph - 20,680 ft/min

Metro Master Blaster:

..........Single motor - 332 mph - 29,250 ft/min

..........Both motors - 664 mph - 58,500 ft/min
Ever poor too much milk in a glass and not drink it all? Sometimes having too much is just a waste.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Ever poor too much milk in a glass and not drink it all? Sometimes having too much is just a waste.
That adage has no metaphorical significant to this particular subject.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Never Say Never
Melting Slicks

You got him on that one old buddy. Great point also.

Last edited by Never Say Never; 08-31-2009 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Onyasix
That adage has no metaphorical significant to this particular subject.
You got him on that one. Great point also.

Master Blaster, does a (C6) body good!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Never Say Never
You got him on that one old buddy. Great point also.

Thanks. Sometimes you can overdue it. No point in wasting money. It really makes no sense. If you have a Toro or similar why go spend good money on something that MAY be a little faster? Use the money for something else like Mods, tires, whatever. But, never waste money.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:14 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

I think you're missing the point guys. If you haven't tried it, then you don't know what you're missing. You're speaking as though change is bad. Give it a try if a friend has one, then speak from that knowledge. Until then, you're holding onto a fortress that doesn't exist, except in your heart. People can be very pleased with a leaf blower. I know I sure was, but what is it about human behavior aka attitude that despises listening and learning towards something new and better. Holding onto old ground doesn't win battles. It just keeps you entrenched.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GotChrist?
I think you're missing the point guys. If you haven't tried it, then you don't know what you're missing. You're speaking as though change is bad. Give it a try if a friend has one, then speak from that knowledge. Until then, you're holding onto a fortress that doesn't exist, except in your heart. People can be very pleased with a leaf blower. I know I sure was, but what is it about human behavior aka attitude that despises listening and learning towards something new and better. Holding onto old ground doesn't win battles. It just keeps you entrenched.
I'm certain the Master Blaster is a good product. Point is if the Toro blower works fine why waste money? You can also go by the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". The Toro works OUTSTANDING for my drying needs. I have a feeling the Master Blaster would save me maybe 2 minutes of drying time. Now to spend all that money just to save a few minutes seems to be a colossal waste of money to me.

Now those that like their MB, that is great and I'm certain it is great. For my needs and many others the Toro or other yard blower works just fine. And as far as I'm concerned the Toro is almost to powerful for my needs. I often turn the speed down.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjob
I'll post a positive review.

I am pretty fussy with these things.

I think if you keep a good coat of wax / polish you will find the blaster easily blows water off. I tried using the blaster on my dd and it didn't work nearly as well.

My drying time with the blaster is down to 15 - 20 minutes. I do the door jams, under the hood and hatch area, wheels and exhaust.

It gets the water out of the hidden areas.

Yeah, an expensive solution but worth it to me.

As far as electrical concerns, I use mine on a standard 15 Amp circuit and have never had a problem, (just don't turn on both blowers at the same time).
Does an awesome job quickly and I never had a problem with my 15 Amp circuit breakers tripping.

Last edited by j_digi454; 08-31-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:43 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

I'm certain the Master Blaster is a good product. Point is if the Toro blower works fine why waste money? You can also go by the saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". The Toro works OUTSTANDING for my drying needs. I have a feeling the Master Blaster would save me maybe 2 minutes of drying time. Now to spend all that money just to save a few minutes seems to be a colossal waste of money to me.

Now those that like their MB, that is great and I'm certain it is great. For my needs and many others the Toro or other yard blower works just fine. And as far as I'm concerned the Toro is almost to powerful for my needs. I often turn the speed down.
I understand that and appreciate your feedback. My point is this forum has a lot of people that speak against something, even though they've never tried it. Make sense?

There are other reasons the MB is so enjoyed. For me it was not having to stand 3 feet back with my leaf blower and ensure I didn't scratch the paint. Moving with a light wieght hose is pretty nifty as is having heated air. If its not worth it to you, it's not worth it, but let's speak from knowledge tempered with experience.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

I understand that and appreciate your feedback. My point is this forum has a lot of people that speak against something, even though they've never tried it. Make sense?

There are other reasons the MB is so enjoyed. For me it was not having to stand 3 feet back with my leaf blower and ensure I didn't scratch the paint. Moving with a light wieght hose is pretty nifty as is having heated air. If its not worth it to you, it's not worth it, but let's speak from knowledge tempered with experience.
Vehicle damaging was one of my biggest concerns when I was using my leaf blower and the weight alone is also tiresome. Since purchasing the MasterBlaster, I have found many other uses besides just drying the car finish; cleaning debris out of the engine compartment, blowing dust and debris out of the interior, blowing water/moisture out of mechanical parts after cleaning, and blowing debris from wheel wells and undercarriage. It takes the higher velocity of the MasterBlaster to achieve successful results for these other usages.

If you are on a tight budget, I would not necessarily recommend that you spend your money on the MasterBlaster. It's similar to purchasing a new Vette; if you don't have the money to spend for a Vette, you may want to settle for a Mustang. I think that this adage may be a more appropriate metaphor for this subject.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Vette Suspension
Le Mans Master

Often problems or potential problems are extremely easy to solve and even easier then you think. The potential scratch issue is certainly a problem. But, a few penny's and that worry is no longer.

All you need to do is take some very good duct tape and wrap it on the nozzle of the leaf blower and the potential problem disappears. Works like a charm just like the Toro leaf blower.

However, if as in the past I used to hire my friends teenaged son to wash and dry my Vette the safety (possible scratching) of the MB would be worth it. I'm a adult and can safely maneuver the Toro around my car without any issues. I'm very cautious as to how I detail my cars now.

Last edited by Vette Suspension; 08-31-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffjob
I'll post a positive review.

I am pretty fussy with these things.

I think if you keep a good coat of wax / polish you will find the blaster easily blows water off. I tried using the blaster on my dd and it didn't work nearly as well.

My drying time with the blaster is down to 15 - 20 minutes. I do the door jams, under the hood and hatch area, wheels and exhaust.

It gets the water out of the hidden areas.

Yeah, an expensive solution but worth it to me.

As far as electrical concerns, I use mine on a standard 15 Amp circuit and have never had a problem, (just don't turn on both blowers at the same time).
A good wax job is a must. I also had the 15 amp problem and the Master Blaster was also blowing my circuits. I solved it by using it on a circuit that was dedicated to one appliance. In this case it was my washing machine. My laundry room is right off my garage. I am impressed with the Master Blaster and would not use anything else.

Clif

Quick Reply: First Experience with Master Blaster dryer poor