Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Kamikaze!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:32 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Kamikaze!

Been a year long road since leaving the Zaino camp in Spring of 2016 but have finally reached the day where I lock up our black 2004 Corvette in some solid protection which will hopefully last 2-3 years of summer only use, quite possibly longer. Enter the Kamikaze Collection!

I`ve messed around with a pretty fair amount of consumer level coatings in the past few months including:

Cquartz Classic
Wolfgang Uber Ceramic
McKees 37 Paint Coating
Gyeon Prime
Gyeon Mohs
Pearl Nano
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
The Gloss Shop Ceramic Coating
22ple HPC
Feynlab Ceramic

While all were solid products and there were really no disappointments in the bunch, I found nothing that gives me the satisfaction and comfort level of the Kamikaze products.

We`ve had it (Miyabi/ISM/Overcoat and added Infinity and Stance in Spring 2017) on one of our daily drivers since 10/2016 and our auto usage habits, local environmental conditions and maintenance routines haven`t fazed it one bit since application. It just always looks great to my eye, holds up, protects and keeps itself clean with minimal effort. It made it thru daily use in the NE Ohio winter without any noticeable degradation whatsoever and a good summer rainstorm is akin to a free car wash with this stuff; self-cleaning is simply without compare.

Does that make it the best consumer level coating in all the land? Really can`t answer that because there are so many individual and somewhat subjective variables involved in a statement such as that...but I can say that for ME, yes, it is the best coating in my world. The stuff just plain works.

Additionally, the U.S. vendor has been an invaluable help to me since I first discovered the Kamikaze line, providing advice, technical information and product support to this somewhat occasionally inept hobbyist. Despite the fact that I`m sure they have far more lucrative interests to pursue than what goes on in my little garage in NE Ohio, they have repeatedly gone above and beyond to insure my success with their products. That too, for me, is of great importance.

Another intangible aspect to Kamikaze is that I had the opportunity to meet the inventor of the product line at an event a few months ago and spoke with him for a bit; the enthusiasm and genuine interest he showed in my happiness and success with his creations was infectious and was indicative of being a true enthusiast. While that`s not gonna help protect my paintwork from road salt this coming winter, it just adds a little something to the overall `experience`. Like I mentioned, a lot of what goes into `my` best is subjective...but important.

Since this is all somewhat of a hobby for me, with the added benefit of incredible protection and appearance, at the end of the day it has to be fun too. The whole Kamikaze `experience` has been just too much fun for me to continue to look for the next greatest `thing`...everytime I look at the cars I find some new nuance, smile and am reminded of all of the enjoyment that went into it.

And yes, I probably put way too much thought into It but that`s what hobbies are for, no?

Put it all together and this is what works best for me so I`m just gonna get all our cars wrapped up with it and then just sit back and enjoy its benefits for what I expect to be a pretty long time. 😊

Got the first coat if Miyabi down after working the 70k mile paint with Flex 3401 and, some M101 ( to lessen the effects if etched water spots incurred during the Zaino decade ), followed up with the Jescar Micro Polish with the Rupes LHR15 Mk 2. If you like Menzerna stuff, you'll love the Jescar Polish and Compound. Much less oily, far easier wipe off and seems to work with less passes needed.

Prep'd with liberal amounts of Gyeon Prep and Gyeon Baldwipe, Polishwipe and Softwipe towels.

Why do I specifically mention all the brand's and products? No, I'm not selling a thing but I sure spent a truckload of cash finding stuff that worked for me...maybe it'll save someone else some money in their search.

Anyway, a few pics below after the first coat of Miyabi. Will be continuing today with second coat of Miyabi, a single coat if ISM and finishing up tomorrow with a layer of Infinity Wax and locking it all up with Overcoat. Will refresh the wheels with Stance Rim Coat and TuffShine Tire Coating next week.

Edit: Pictures kinda suck cuz I'm too cheap to upgrade my 5 year old phone.
Attached Images       

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 07-29-2017 at 11:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Esoteric Detail (07-31-2017), ronkh57 (07-30-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 11:35 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

And my favorite angle of our Kamikaze-clad daily driver, applied October 2016:
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (07-30-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 12:05 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

nice but what is it price wise?
Old 07-29-2017, 01:12 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
nice but what is it price wise?
Not too bad...can get into the 2 coats Miyabi + 1 coat ISM for under $250 with Forum discount. Add $50 for the Overcoat maint. product which by itself offers incredible performance. The Infinity Wax is just kinda a boutique add on which I used because 'nothing exceeds like excess!

Averaged out over a 3 year expected lifespan on a hobby car like this and we're back down into yearly Zaino territory. Difference is a lot less maintenance work, far, far superior protection and to me, better looks.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:20 PM
nnag
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great, how difficult is the coating application process for a first time user?
Old 07-29-2017, 02:42 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by nnag
looks great, how difficult is the coating application process for a first time user?
The Miyabi was easier for me than my first time with Zaino. ISM a bit mote finicky but still pretty easy.

Most of the work with coatings is in the prep; wanna get your paint as near perfect as ya can cuz this stuff locks it in for the long haul.

If you wanna try a coating-like experience, can just go with Overcoat...in and of itself its a pretty solid, self cleaning performer but longevity is nothing near a coating.

US Distributor has some nice application instructions/videos:

http://news.esotericcarcare.com/how-...glass-coating/

Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 AM
WIC7Diver
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Excellent write up. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:14 AM
ronkh57
Burning Brakes

Received 250 Likes on 220 Posts

Hopefully I had something to do with the "enlightenment"...
Old 07-30-2017, 11:37 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by ronkh57
Hopefully I had something to do with the "enlightenment"...
Of course ya did my friend! That blindingly sharp and glossy white paint on yer' Vette and mirror-like black paint on your old one are still the gold standard to which I aspire.

Of course, that means you also had something to do with my somewhat absurd credit card bills! That's ok, though...the pictures in your daily "Whaddya having for lunch today..." threads more than make up for It.

On another note, got a message last nite from Brandt...he applied all the coating leftovers I sent him to his truck so look for that thread soon. Sadly no Kami in the mix, I keep all that for meself...leftover ISM makes for an incredible black surface restorer...plastic trim, rubber molding, wiper arms. It's really quite handy and lasts quite a while.

Snuck aonther Miyabi order in this morning on the Santa Sale...always another car needing some Far East goodness.
ronkh57 (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 12:46 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

A little Stance Rim Coating for the polished stainless exhaust tips & some Gyeon for tge dreaded interior and Polish Angel Diver for the always frustrating glass.

Have used the leather cleaner and coating on our sport seats previously, nice stuff that leaves a clean and natural OEM look and feel; quite nice.

The Diver is an interesting product, albeit a little pricey at $59 for 500ml. A glass cleaner or sealer...i dunno but I do know that 2 spritzes on a low nap microfiber cleans half the windshield in the blink of an eye and leaves no streaks. It's kinda like those little eyeglass cleaner packets/wipes...stuff just works and works very easily. Based on the amount used to clean all of our interior and side exterior glass in 3 cars I'd guess this bottle gonna last me 2 years. And help me from busting out my windshield trying to clean glass with cheaper cleaners.

Guess we'll see how the Gyeon Vinyl stuff works on interior surfaces; that'll be a new one.
Attached Images   

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 07-30-2017 at 12:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
Esoteric Detail (07-31-2017), ronkh57 (08-08-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:39 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Despite some crazy static electricity in the area which was really a pain, even with the supposed ant-static properties of Gyeon Prep, finished up and it looks as good as a 12 year old black C5 can, considering my abilities.

Short nap towels like a Gyeon Baldwipe were a savior in wiping down each panel before coating application. It was really odd how much lint would gather on a panel even after being wiped down. Gonna have to look into that to try to alleviate.

Anyway, looks great...actually looking forward to the first rain. Gonna give the Kamikaze Intenso glass coating a try today (if it arrives from the UK as they say) and see how that works.

Regardless, putting things away I ran across some Wolfgang stuff that perhaps someone here could use; I won't ever be using it so it may as well go to a good home. I have the following and if you want it, reply here and I'll send it to you for N/C...heck, I'll even pay shipping to lower 48.

Lemme know if you'd like to try the following items, will send as a package, no splitting up; I'd say at most each has been used on only 1 or two cars, supposed to be a great combo if you're into the sealants/waxes:

Wofgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant - 16oz
http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

Wofgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant - 16oz
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-dee...z-sealant.html

Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax (no box or refill - 8oz tub)
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuz...r-car-wax.html
ronkh57 (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 11:28 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

hello sir , i'd be interested , price dependent . but let us see if someone more in need is interested first . . . peace
Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Esoteric Detail
Supporting Vendor

Received 462 Likes on 250 Posts

Thank you for the extremely informative post!

You probably have more coating experience than most detailers out there. Experience with a wide range of products is definitely a great thing.
HRE Wheels . Forgeline Wheels . BBS Wheels . Akrapovic Exhaust . Fabspeed Exhaust . KW Suspension

9801 Karmar Ct. New Albany, Ohio 43054
(614) 855-6855
Contact@esotericdetail.com
EsotericDetail.com
EsotericCarCare.com
ESOTERIC on YouTube
The following 2 users liked this post by Esoteric Detail:
BudgetPlan1 (07-31-2017), ronkh57 (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 02:52 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by bigcypress
hello sir , i'd be interested , price dependent . but let us see if someone more in need is interested first . . . peace
It's a freebie!

Price is a big whopping zero! I'm not gonna use it so may as well go to a good home where it will be used. I'll even cover shipping.

PM me your name and address if you want it and I'll send it to you. I'll just be happy to have the shelf space back...
Old 07-31-2017, 06:24 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1

Regardless, putting things away I ran across some Wolfgang stuff that perhaps someone here could use; I won't ever be using it so it may as well go to a good home. I have the following and if you want it, reply here and I'll send it to you for N/C...heck, I'll even pay shipping to lower 48.

Lemme know if you'd like to try the following items, will send as a package, no splitting up; I'd say at most each has been used on only 1 or two cars, supposed to be a great combo if you're into the sealants/waxes:

Wofgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant - 16oz
http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

Wofgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant - 16oz
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-dee...z-sealant.html

Wolfgang Füzion Carnauba Polymer Estate Wax (no box or refill - 8oz tub)
http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-fuz...r-car-wax.html
WG spoken for. Mark08EX. Enjoy!
Marc08EX (07-31-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

appears you have a taker . IF not i'd take it , IF i read correctly i'm happy for both of you . that was a great thing for you to do . . . peace
Old 08-02-2017, 07:19 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by bigcypress
appears you have a taker . IF not i'd take it , IF i read correctly i'm happy for both of you . that was a great thing for you to do . . . peace
Yep...sent off yesterday unfortunately. Sorry.

Get notified of new replies

To Kamikaze!

Old 08-03-2017, 09:41 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I want to try the Miyabi next. Is the actual coating application similar to applying WGU ceramic or any of the others?

I have Wolfgang on my Viper now but may try Miyabi on my DD.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by C5Longhorn
I want to try the Miyabi next. Is the actual coating application similar to applying WGU ceramic or any of the others?

I have Wolfgang on my Viper now but may try Miyabi on my DD.

Thanks,

Rick
I found Miyabi easier to apply than the WG Uber Ceramic I put on the Vette last year. If the weather cooperates (cooler the better, 70-75F is always nice) the time between application and easy removal can stretch to 10 minutes dwell time.

Have done it easily at 85F and humid as well but it's a more relaxed experience if cooler. I find early morning (ya know...like 6am) to be an enjoyable time to start with 2 coats, an hour or two in between.

Vendor has an excellent write up and video of Miyabi:
http://news.esotericcarcare.com/how-...glass-coating/

It's fun stuff, not nerve-wracking...

Edit: Don't forget the Overcoat, it's really amazing stuff. Works eccellent as an occasional refresh of WG Uber as well.

I always ****** the vendors application pack as well; the red cloths you use on the application block have a silkier feel to them as opposed to some microsuede cloths. That might just be a personal preference though.

Either way, I found the block/microsuede cloth application much smoother than the yellow, foam LC applicator that was recommended with WG Uber.

If you decide to go with it, I think you'll like it. I'm no pro by any means and I find using the product quite enjoyable and stress free...and the results are top shelf for sure.

First rain for the combo today (yep, this Vette sees rain whoever Mother Nature sees fit); alternating thunderstorms and sun all day, *normally* excellent conditions for water spotting, wife just pulled in the garage (cars back end slightly dirty because that's what C5 back ends do!):
Attached Images  

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 08-03-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:57 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Car looks fantastic, thanks for the follow up reply.
BudgetPlan1 (08-04-2017)

Quick Reply: Kamikaze!