Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

2009 Corvette ZR-1 - Complete New Car Prep

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2009 Corvette ZR-1 - Complete New Car Prep

I was pretty excited to have the opportunity to be flown 1300 miles away to Michigan to prep an old client’s(bilderguy on Corvette Forum) brand new 2009 Corvette ZR-1 in Cyber Gray. I stressed to him to not let the dealer lay 1 finger on this monster and we all agreed that it would be in the car’s best interest to have it tailored right to his home as soon as it landed at Jack Cauley Chevrolet/Ferrari in W. Bloomfield, MI.

The only thing the dealer was allowed to do was install the miscellaneous trim needed and the check the required fluids to insure the mechanical aspects were sufficient for delivery.

This vehicle was special ordered by my client and he was lucky enough to be able to purchase this unit at sticker price ($116,845). Many cars are still being offered for sale $50,000 above sticker!!

This was the last ZR-1 batch produced before plant year end shut-down (12-23-08) which meant that it never had the opportunity to sit outside at the plant; i.e. collecting contaminants on the exterior. It went from the assembly line to the Allied Systems enclosed trailer to the dealership.

From there it was immediately brought inside their Prep Department and then tailored to my client’s home in Brighton, MI.

His home is actually within walking distance from the General Motors Proving Grounds where this and many other vehicles are tested by GM Engineers daily. At times you can hear super cars like this make their top speed attempts on their long straight away adjacent to my client’s home. It’s also adjacent to the Wixom Performance Build Center where the ZR-1 engines are assembled.

Unfortunately the day before I arrived, the Metro Detroit area was blasted by a foot of snow! Perfect day for detailing huh? The owner had to plow the snow from his long driveway so we could drive back to the garage to do our work.

This vehicle sat in the owner’s garage collecting dust until I was able to fly out on January 23 to fully prep it.

After taking in the beauty of this beast, the work began. Even though the owner’s garage was fully heated, it was virtually impossible to use any heavy form of water without flooding it. This meant that all rinsing had to be done outside. As soon as I 1st rinsed the thick dust film from the exterior & the water immediately froze on the ground underneath the car.

I knew I would be faced with a few hurdles due to needing to wash this car multiple times, so I decided to 1st wash it as far away from the garage and each time I inched 1 space closer to the garage door. I began to wash everything down with a healthy dose of Dawn detergent combined with a brand new HD Grout Sponge.

I then cleaned the wheels/tires and wheel wells with various mediums.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Back outside for a final rinse and then to a full clay process with Zaino clay and Z7 diluted as my lube.

Unsurprisingly, because this vehicle hasn’t been exposed to environmental elements yet, no contaminants were picked up by the clay.

After drying, I then used Compressed air to blow out all the water from cracks and crevices to mitigate dilution of polish if contact happened to occur.

I then taped off all the necessary trim to avoid any potential for problems.

GM recommends not applying or using any polishing or buffing equipment on the clear polycarbonate panel as this could damage its UV coating.

Under halogens, it was pretty obvious that the Zaino clay marred the finish pretty bad. A surprising indication of how soft the clear is on this particular finish.

There were also several isolated, minor scratches/defects that needed correcting prior to the overall polishing processes.

I used Meg’s 105 via LC orange spot buff pads. I then worked out and leveled all the clay micro-marring with Menzerna SIP via LC German Green. This produced a perfect mix of correction and preliminary gloss.

Before:

After:

In process with Green + SIP:

I then micro-jeweled the finish down with Merzerna 85RD via black LC and this created a deeply polished final finish. This 2-step process dramatically increased the magnification of the metallic base coat by leveling out the clear top coat.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Because daylight was dwindling, I quickly performed 2 straight alcohol wipe downs and pulled the car outside for some last minute inspections under sunlight. Here’s some raw shots prior to LSP:

Getting traction in the ice crested snow was a real challenge as I attempted to pull it in for completion:

I then mixed up a concoction of ZFX’d Z-5 Pro and applied 2 coats with doing Z-6 wipe downs in between application on the exterior, jambs, wheels & glass. Final topper was Z-2 Pro.

Tires received a healthy dose of Z-16.

Leather was lightly wiped with Z-9 and then preserved with Z-10.

I dumped a glass of Distilled water to test out the beading action. I love seeing beads within beads!!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Final Shots:
The final finish was amazing and was totally different than the factory issued shine!!!

Special thanks to my friends:

Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Awesome job!!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 04:37 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Great job David!

Looks like you have the same "friends" as me.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Wow a lot of hard work, with Awesome results!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:06 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice work, thanks for posting all those pictures as well. Take Care!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 PM
saibel
Racer

Nice!!!!!!!

Great pics to illustrate your process
Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Very nice documentation on the job.....

I'm sure the owner was thrilled with your efforts David.........
Old 04-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting to see what the clay bar did. I was considering claying my black 07', but several forum members advised against it. Not doing it after seeing that, as I'm no pro detailer. Been using Rejex since new and am very happy with the product. Not the same results as all the work you do, but pretty darn good.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
bullrunvette
Racer

When I get my ZR1 I'm going to fly you in as well to take care of it.

Great job!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Interesting to see what the clay bar did. I was considering claying my black 07', but several forum members advised against it. Not doing it after seeing that, as I'm no pro detailer. Been using Rejex since new and am very happy with the product. Not the same results as all the work you do, but pretty darn good.
Don't be afraid to use a clay bar in general........

Just make sure to polish the surface before you use your favorite wax or Rejex....

The difference will really surprise you......
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
rangerob
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Next time you order some clay give Pinnacle's Ultra Poly clay a try. I have found this product to work best at not leaving micro marring behind. Also i use Optimum No Rince as my clay lube and it works awesome. 1 1/2 cap fulls in a 32 ounce spray bottle.

Last edited by rangerob; 05-01-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

You've got all of the tools to keep it looking good. One caution... Be careful with where you leave your sponge after washing the car. They like to pick up "things that scratch" for no explained reason.

Pray for warm weather.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 AM
George Ware
Racer

Thanks so much for the info!

George Ware
Old 05-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Pro-Techt
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06Joe
Awesome job!!!!!
Thanks Joe!

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Great job David!

Looks like you have the same "friends" as me.
Thanks B! They're my new best friends.

Originally Posted by dvilin
Wow a lot of hard work, with Awesome results!
Thanks dvilin! I loved every minute of it.

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Very nice work, thanks for posting all those pictures as well. Take Care!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Thanks Greg!

Originally Posted by saibel
Nice!!!!!!!

Great pics to illustrate your process
Thanks saibel!

Originally Posted by Dave1
Very nice documentation on the job.....

I'm sure the owner was thrilled with your efforts David.........
Thanks Dave - He was very happy and is sending me back periodically for touch ups. (and hopfully lots of test driving!!)

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
I've done a few C6's and never witnessed a problem with marring(I used Blue Clay Magic). I think this paint is on the soft side because many people have claimed that Zaino clay isn't all that harsh. It's the 1st time using it, so I don't have a good baseline for conclusions yet.

Originally Posted by bullrunvette
When I get my ZR1 I'm going to fly you in as well to take care of it.

Great job!
Thanks, I'd love to go to VA for a vacation.

Originally Posted by rangerob
Next time you order some clay give Pinnacle's Ultra Poly clay a try. I have found this product to work best at not leaving micro marring behind. Also i use Optimum No Rince as my clay lube and it works awesome. 1 1/2 cap fulls in a 32 ounce spray bottle.
I've heard that clay isn't very aggressive? Probably designed for maintenance cleaning where people aren't polishing the finish. Every time I clay these days, it's always follwed by lots of polishing. I also like ONR for a lube too - works nice.

Originally Posted by JJU
You've got all of the tools to keep it looking good. One caution... Be careful with where you leave your sponge after washing the car. They like to pick up "things that scratch" for no explained reason.

Pray for warm weather.
Gotcha.

Originally Posted by George Ware
Thanks so much for the info!

George Ware
Thanks George.

Get notified of new replies

To 2009 Corvette ZR-1 - Complete New Car Prep

Old 05-02-2009, 10:26 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Wow Awsome job! I love the color of that Z, your pics are great as well, you do very good work.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 AM
MARVIN 34
Burning Brakes

Old 05-02-2009, 11:32 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Beautiful work!

Quick Reply: 2009 Corvette ZR-1 - Complete New Car Prep