Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Using alcohol to remove sealant/wax

Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 AM
jptonks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using alcohol to remove sealant/wax

Hello all,

Sometimes the weather is too cold/rainy/windy to wash my 2008 C6. When this happens and I want to remove the existing sealant/wax so that I can apply a fresh coat, I have heard that you can use alcohol to remove the old applications. Sometimes I see denatured alcohlol recommended; other times I see isoproply accohol recommnded.

Does anyone know the difference between thses two alcohols and if one is better than the other for my purposes? I have been using 91% isopropyl for years to clean up epoxy before it sets on my radio control airplanes, but I am not sure if it is appropriate for my C6.

Thanks for your help.

JohnT
Old 04-07-2009, 03:56 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jptonks
Hello all,

Sometimes the weather is too cold/rainy/windy to wash my 2008 C6. When this happens and I want to remove the existing sealant/wax so that I can apply a fresh coat, I have heard that you can use alcohol to remove the old applications. Sometimes I see denatured alcohlol recommended; other times I see isoproply accohol recommnded.

Does anyone know the difference between thses two alcohols and if one is better than the other for my purposes? I have been using 91% isopropyl for years to clean up epoxy before it sets on my radio control airplanes, but I am not sure if it is appropriate for my C6.

Thanks for your help.

JohnT
I just did a little searching around and here is one response on the difference:

"RUBBING ALCOHOL is intended for use on the skin only. It was made in the old days for rubbing on the skin, on a inflammed Joint. It was also Rubbed on skin to reduce fevers. It is no longer used much for these purposes, the older folks may still use for Joint pain. Rubbing Alcohol is now used in small amounts for Cleansing the skin before injections. DO NOT DRINK! RUBBING ALCOHOL IS POISONOUS. CONTAINS CHEMICALS 70% ISO-PROPYL ALCOHOL AND 30% WATER.

DENATURED ALCOHOL IS ETHANOL MAY CONTAIN THESE CHEMICALS: METHANOL AND OR ISOPROPANOL AND GASOLINE. DENATURED ALCOHOL IS POISONOUS! DO NOT DRINK. DENATURED ALCOHOL IS RECOMMENDED IN THE REMOVAL OF MILDEW FROM NATURAL LEATHER JACKETS, PURSES, PANTS. (DO NOT USE ON SUEDE)"

Ideally I use a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and water. I recommend just using rubbing alcohol to remove the old sealant and wax. Rubbing alcohol usually has a 70/30 mix so I use 2:1 ratio of the isopropyl alcohol and one part water, since it already has 30% water. If you have 91% then I would just mix it with a little under 50% water in a separate container. You can also use a product like the Menzerna Top Inspection which is pre-mixed for you and is highly effective. Just use a nice microfiber towel with it and you are all set.

Another option is to wash the paint with a shampoo like the Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Clear. It safely removes old wax and sealant during the wash process and it won't dry out vinyl and plastic trim.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ Detailed Image

Last edited by Detailed Image; 04-07-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:14 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

I use a 50/50 mixture of Isopropyl Alcohol (the kind you buy in any discount drug store) and water in a spray bottle.
If you plan to polish the car before applying the wax then you don't have to bother because the polish will remove the old wax.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I would also suggest that several commercial strippers are available, as some sealants take more than one application of alcohol/water mixture to remove. I use 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover, and others like Prepsol and Acrysol are also available.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:50 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I would also suggest that several commercial strippers are available, as some sealants take more than one application of alcohol/water mixture to remove. I use 3M Wax and Adhesive Remover, and others like Prepsol and Acrysol are also available.
Will one coat of pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion remove sealants and wax?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 09 Sea 6
Yes virtually all polishes will remove the old wax and sealant.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-07-2009, 09:05 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Image
Yes virtually all polishes will remove the old wax and sealant.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Is this considered a polish? I will be applying it by hand..
Old 04-07-2009, 09:24 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Is this considered a polish? I will be applying it by hand..
Yes this is what I refer to as a chemical polish. It has cleaning agents that help clean and shine the paint. It helps prep the paint by providing a cleaner and more vibrant looking surface. It's a good product to use after you have washed the paint and used a clay bar and before a sealant or wax.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by jptonks
Hello all,

Thanks for your help.

JohnT

Your question begs a couple of questions.
Why do you see the need to remove existing wax/sealant if applying the same product?
Why would you do anything to a car without washing first???
Proper washing/drying techniques are the basis for proper car care.
You will be looking for more in depth advice in the near future to fix the problems you are creating.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

As offered, both our Pinnacle Paintwork Lotion and P21S GEPC are both great wax/sealant strippers and also prepare paint for new sealants and waxes alike.

Get notified of new replies

To Using alcohol to remove sealant/wax

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using alcohol to remove sealant/wax