Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Does Liquid Glass do any harm + ? for Carl

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:41 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 873 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by my50thAE
I'll help revive this old thread!

What new formula LG? I've been using the "old" formula in the gold metal can with the Vette on the front for 30 years. Where did you buy it?
Autogeek I believe..
Can is the same, but the contents are light sky blue..
Old 07-27-2013, 07:07 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Unfortunately we don't carry the line anymore. I really thought the original version would have had to reformulate with the newer VOC regulations, but glad to hear you all can still find it. (perhaps they did change the formula and coloring, as attested to above)

Liquid Glass did bring out a version called "Legend" which described itself almost like a coating. It had a 100.00 price point which likely kept it from more users and better reviews. It was one of the few products that came and went and I never got to personally test it.

It also contained Teflon which has a long and challenged past in car care products since the manufacturer came out years ago and suggested it would need to be baked on at high heat to have any really permanent properties. I think this was done due to all the car show products suggesting you could light a fire on your finish and dump acid without harm.

I would love to see and hear more if the product is still available (other than old stock) and outcomes. The Challenger above sure looks glossy.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:30 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Liquid Glass was originally formulated for Nitrocellulose lacquer, which was used as a finish on older automobile upholstery leather and exterior paint and required oils for it to remain flexible otherwise it would crack and solvents and abrasives to remove oxidation as it was subject to ultra violet photo degeneration (colour bleaching or fading)

Manufactured by DuPont, the paint was also used on automobiles sharing the same colour codes as many guitars including Fender and Gibson brands, although it fell out of favour for a number of reasons: pollution, and the way the lacquer yellows and dehydrates , causing its surface finish to crack over time. It was replaced with acrylic lacquer. Acrylic lacquer is still made by DuPont, under the name Lucite; this is the original acrylic lacquer

Due to OEM switching to urethane paint and subsequent VOC regulations LG has been reformulated, there is nothing in this formula to harm urethane clear coat paint

Quick Reply: Does Liquid Glass do any harm + ? for Carl