Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

California Duster

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
jobear
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default California Duster

ok, car is washed and waxed sitting in my garage. Can't cover it because I can't see it then. May not tak it out for a few days to a week and it will be dusty. Am I supposed to wash it again before I drive it? Most say California Duster will scratch the paint. I have used one for many years with great success. But am trying to avoid using it on my vette. My color, Millenium Yellow, doesn't show scratches as much as most darker colors.
Opinions please.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

On a lighter color car, you may not see the scratches as much as with the darker colored cars. I quit using the CALIFORNIA DUSTER" on my cars years ago. They do leave swirls/scratches contrary to what some might say. There's no way that trapping all that dust isn't going to leave minute damage...and their ads say they clean better as they get dirtier.
If you not going to keep it covered, just wash it regularly.
Personally, I prefer a CALIFORNIA CAR COVER COMPANY product for dust control inside my shop. It's easy enough to remove and absolutely no dust gets through the material during winter months.
Plus, taking it off for to look at my car is like Christmas all over again...

Last edited by hotwheels57; 01-06-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My AE is a bit of a garage queen. When it does collect some dust, I usually give it a good spray of Zaino Z6 and a wipe down using a very soft micro fiber cloth, before I jet out on a drive. It takes away the dust and leaves a shine w/o scatches. BTW, if you use the Zaino product lines, they have an anti-static formula that repels dust, which my help your regards about the dust between cruises.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

I use the California Duster on my Vette and have had no problems. I use it for very light dust, do not press down just gently sweep in one direction, I then follow it up with some detail spray. I have not seen any swirls or scratches.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Mike073048
Instructor

Originally Posted by dvilin
I use the California Duster on my Vette and have had no problems. I use it for very light dust, do not press down just gently sweep in one direction, I then follow it up with some detail spray. I have not seen any swirls or scratches.
I agree, have doing it for years on a black 2004
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

If you're going to use the California Car Duster, then that is the time to use it. Very light dust that gathers on a freshly washed car in a garage on a Yellow car should be OK, but don't use it on a car you've driven or is otherwise dirty.
Just don't apply any pressure to the duster. Gently let the strands glide across the surface and let the duster attract the dust up into itself. Follow up with your favorite Quick Detailer and you'll be good to go.
If you are lucky enough to have a compressor in the garage an even better solution would be to blow the dust off of the car.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
speedster516
Racer

I agree has worked for me
Old 01-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I'm a satisfied California Duster fan as well, even on a black vette. I find that after a season of near-daily use, I have only the smallest evidence of super-faint "scratches" that never rival the swirls that appear despite my careful attempts at washing the car. So, in short...it's negligible to me, and it all comes out during my annual polishing sessions anyway. The trick for me, is to keep ALL the weight of the duster off the car. I completely support the weight of the duster, and only let the strands "dangle" onto the finish. Between that and the QD, it's a winning combo in my book.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,594 Likes on 2,173 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

On a car that was detailed before sitting in a garage for a couple of weeks I would only use the duster with very light pressure. To me it seems unnecessary to detail a car that has jut been sitting in a garage for a couple of weeks unless there was some way contaminants got on the surface from some type of work going on in the garage.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:30 PM
DAV162
Drifting

Old 01-08-2009, 08:07 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

same here, and on a black car, with no issues.
only light dust, no road grime/grit, just with the tips flowing over the surface...........
Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

I am a fan of the Duster, just have to use it as it was intended.

All it can do (without damage) is to DUST off the lightest of debris. It is NOT a substitute for a WASH
Old 01-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Really depends upon the composition of the dust.

On my Black 2001, sometimes it has worked pretty good - other times it shows instant scratches. Dust comes from different sources - pretty much hit and miss.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

I wipe off my dusty cars with a yellow microfiber towel from Costco sprayed with pledge. I only use it if the car is slightly dusty and I change clothes often. Wiping off dust is ok, just be gentle, and change the cloth often.The pledge acts as a lube of sorts and helps to hold in the dust on the cloth.

Get notified of new replies

To California Duster

Quick Reply: California Duster