Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Black trim is turning white!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:32 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Black trim is turning white!

I know this is a Corvette Forumn....but....I have an 05 Ford Expedition that has the black plastic panels half way down the door. They are turning white. I have applied Zaino Clear Seal on them for the past 2 years but they have still turned white. I have sprayed Stoner brand Trim Shine on them and they look great, that is until the next washing. Then, they are whitish again.

Is there any product out there that will keep them black, even after washing? What bothers me the most is these panels go all around the car so about 1/3 of the total exterior is covered with them.

Help!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:09 PM
Bvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try 303. I know it keeps new plastic looking great. I use it on outside plastic mirrors and it works. Give it a shot.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:34 PM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Try this: I tried it on my Mini Cooper black fender/skirt trim, it's great, last a long time and does not attract dust:

http://www.foreverblack.com/products.htm#bumper
Old 11-02-2008, 08:07 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

most products will only last a couple weeks to a month. Some of the best are 303, Black Wow, and Poorboys Trim Restorer. As offered above their are several dye products that will last considerably longer. The key is uniform coverage !

http://www.autogeek.net/excarcar.html
Old 11-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Autogeek:

I went to the link you posted and looked at all the products you offer.

Which product do you recommend? I want one that will last more than a few car washes.

Would it be possible for me to call you? I have several other issues I need resolved and would prefer to speak with you about them?

Thanks for your help!

Rob
Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Rob, call our toll free number on Monday and ask for Dwayne, Meghan, or Matt and they will assist. I am offsite and can be reached thru email and PM when needed as a backup.

Scott

http://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html (Dye, long term)

http://www.autogeek.net/black-wow-trim-restorer.html (monthly application needed)

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 11-02-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Autogeek:

Which product do you recommend? I want one that will last more than a few car washes. Keep in mind the car sits outside 24/7 and I am located in Phoenix...hot!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:30 AM
MAGDANA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a severe case of sun fading. I had the same problem when I lived in Florida. Unfortunately the vinyl needs re-colored or replaced. I chose to replace and to protect the new using 303. It minimized the fading and stayed pretty nice through each washing. I did apply it after each cleaning and was happy with the results until I sold the car.

I now offer a very similar vinyl product in www.MAGDANA.com called VS-40. High sun screen capability. I use it religeously on my Tundra dash/trim. It's also great on tires to slow the fading and rotting caused by long exposure to the sun. Check it out.

Joe Johnson
jj@magdana.com
Old 11-02-2008, 05:28 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
Autogeek:

Which product do you recommend? I want one that will last more than a few car washes. Keep in mind the car sits outside 24/7 and I am located in Phoenix...hot!
even trim products and interior cleaners with UV protectants will give up over time. For more than a months protection, I truly suggest using the dye product from Forever Black. I have however seen pretty nice results on a monthly basis using Black WOW and setting with cold water after initial application. (spritz and blot)

http://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html (dye)

Get notified of new replies

To Black trim is turning white!

Quick Reply: Black trim is turning white!