Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Some questions about Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:48 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Some questions about Zaino

I'm getting ready to try Zaino for the first time on my Electron Blue Z06. The car is my daily driver.

I've ordered the Zaino Triplets and Total Protection Show Car Kit. So I'll be getting Z-AIO, Z-CS, ZFX, Z-2, Z-5, Z-6, Z-7, Z-8, and Z-18.

From the FAQ for Z-AIO it states:

And for the most extreme enthusiast...
While not required, for the ULTIMATE in paint protection and an INCREDIBLE show car finish, use Z-AIO, followed by 2 coats of ZFX enabled Z-5 PRO, then 1 coat of Z-2 PRO (including a Z-6 wipe down between coats) and finish off with an application of Z-CS. Wait 12 hours, then wipe down the vehicle with Z-8. Get your sunglasses out, the gloss may be blinding.

Maintain and extend the wet gloss and durability by using Z-7 Show Car Wash with Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray or Z-8 Spray Seal.
So this is the process I want to do. I will be applying everything by hand. I've got a few of questions about it though.

1. When I apply the coat of Z-2 after the 2 coats of Z-5, does the Z-2 need to be ZFX enabled?

2. After buffing off the Z-2 how long do I need to wait to apply the Z-CS?

3. Do I need to apply Z-6 between the Z-2 and Z-CS or just between the coats of Z-5 and Z-2?

4. How often do I need to reapply the Z-AIO, Z-5, Z-2, and Z-CS?

5. When it's time to reapply, do I start completely over by washing with Dawn, etc or do I just reapply Z-AIO over whatever is remaining of the products?

After everything is done, I'm kind of unsure when I should use Z-6 and when I should use Z-8. Can you give some guidelines as to which to use and when?
Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Sullivette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. No you dont need ZFX for the final coat of any Zaino sealant (for curing purposes)

2. You can apply the ZCS immediately after buffing off the Z2

3. You dont HAVE to apply the Z6 between any coats in actuality. However it will help remove any of the Zaino that hasnt fully dried (if you used too much, or if it is really humid). It will also help the following application of Zaino go on even easier. So since you are doing the ULTIMATE Zaino routine, I would go ahead and do a coat of Z6 before the ZCS. (but again you dont HAVE to)

4. This is a really subjective question. It really depends on the environment you subject your car to. If it is outside all the time and in a really hot climate like Florida or Arizona, it should still last a few months. If it is in a moderate climate and garage kept, it will last much longer. You will have to find that out for yourself.

5. You do not have to use Dawn anymore. The only time you will have to use it again is if you put a coat of wax on top of your Zaino sealant and want to remove it before it naturally wears off. (Zaino wont really bond to a layer of wax placed on top). At this point you can redo the whole process again or just put a coat or two of Z2 (or Z5) on it. It will just depend on how much you want to do when it comes time. Lastly, you said "or do I just reapply Z-AIO over whatever is remaining of the products?" Z-AIO has abrasives in it so it will remove old sealant underneath it. If you want to start over with it you still can, but keep in mind it wont be layering at that point, it will be removing some of the old sealant underneath. You should be able to do the entire ULTIMATE Zaino thing way over ten times without running out of any of the Zaino products. (If you seem to be using more than this, you are putting it on too thick).

6. Z8 is usually used more as a final step for an added shine. Z6 is usually used in between coats of sealant. However, Z8 and Z6 could be interchanged if you really had to. But keep in mind Z8 is twice the price.

Hope I helped, and good luck!

Last edited by Sullivette; 07-27-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I agree with SulliVette's detailed response. The only thing I would add is that I don't see the need to wait 12 hours before the Z8 finish after ZCS. Once the Clear Sealant is fully cured I follow with the Z8 spritz/wipedown.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 AM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

What is the cure time on the Z-CS?
Old 07-29-2008, 08:12 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by efranzen
What is the cure time on the Z-CS?
It depends on the level of humidity. I usually apply it in the garage with the dehumidifier going and it cures within 1/2 hour to an hour. Just use it sparingly, about one spritz for each 1/4 panel for instance. If it's humid and you do it outside it can take quite a bit longer. You'll be able to tell if it's cured when the haze disappears. Have fun
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sullivette
1. No you dont need ZFX for the final coat of any Zaino sealant (for curing purposes)

2. You can apply the ZCS immediately after buffing off the Z2

3. You dont HAVE to apply the Z6 between any coats in actuality. However it will help remove any of the Zaino that hasnt fully dried (if you used too much, or if it is really humid). It will also help the following application of Zaino go on even easier. So since you are doing the ULTIMATE Zaino routine, I would go ahead and do a coat of Z6 before the ZCS. (but again you dont HAVE to)

4. This is a really subjective question. It really depends on the environment you subject your car to. If it is outside all the time and in a really hot climate like Florida or Arizona, it should still last a few months. If it is in a moderate climate and garage kept, it will last much longer. You will have to find that out for yourself.

5. You do not have to use Dawn anymore. The only time you will have to use it again is if you put a coat of wax on top of your Zaino sealant and want to remove it before it naturally wears off. (Zaino wont really bond to a layer of wax placed on top). At this point you can redo the whole process again or just put a coat or two of Z2 (or Z5) on it. It will just depend on how much you want to do when it comes time. Lastly, you said "or do I just reapply Z-AIO over whatever is remaining of the products?" Z-AIO has abrasives in it so it will remove old sealant underneath it. If you want to start over with it you still can, but keep in mind it wont be layering at that point, it will be removing some of the old sealant underneath. You should be able to do the entire ULTIMATE Zaino thing way over ten times without running out of any of the Zaino products. (If you seem to be using more than this, you are putting it on too thick).

6. Z8 is usually used more as a final step for an added shine. Z6 is usually used in between coats of sealant. However, Z8 and Z6 could be interchanged if you really had to. But keep in mind Z8 is twice the price.

Hope I helped, and good luck!

Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 AM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I think most of the points have been covered. What I would add is to use the Zaino products sparingly. Thin coats are much better.

This is especially important with the Z-CS. If you use too much it will haze a little bit and wiping will not get rid of it. If this happens use the Z6 and it will bring the shine back.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

I'm going to be doing this tomorrow and I've got one more question.

Do I need to allow Z-AIO and Z-5 to dry to a haze before buffing off? The instructions for Z-2 say to let it dry to a haze (10-15 minutes) but I don't see anything for Z-AIO or Z-5.

-- edit --

Ok, make that 2 questions. The instructions for Z-AIO say that it can be used on everything. Glass, plastic, etc. Does it work good as a Rain-X type product on the windshield?

My bottle of Z-5 says that it is also recommended for chrome. Should I use Z-AIO and Z-5 on my exhaust tips or just stick with using a chrome polish?

Last edited by efranzen; 08-01-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:01 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by efranzen
I'm going to be doing this tomorrow and I've got one more question.

Do I need to allow Z-AIO and Z-5 to dry to a haze before buffing off? The instructions for Z-2 say to let it dry to a haze (10-15 minutes) but I don't see anything for Z-AIO or Z-5.

-- edit --

Ok, make that 2 questions. The instructions for Z-AIO say that it can be used on everything. Glass, plastic, etc. Does it work good as a Rain-X type product on the windshield?

My bottle of Z-5 says that it is also recommended for chrome. Should I use Z-AIO and Z-5 on my exhaust tips or just stick with using a chrome polish?

Yes to all of the above. Let all Zaino products dry to a haze before removing. *Exception - Clear Seal...it drys for you and doesn't need to be removed!!!

I use Z-AIO on glass since it helps remove stubborn water spots and acts like Rain-X but will outlast Rain-X.

Hazing time can vary depending on humidity and how thick you applied it. It can be from 10 minutes to 40 minutes. You can tell when it's dry by swiping your finger across a 1" line. If it comes off clean, it's ready. If it smears around, let it dry longer.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:32 PM
khblair
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Zaino............

Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Your car will be stupid beautiful after you are done. I am jealous of the high metal flake in the new paint jobs. Zaino really does a great job with colors like yours.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

Originally Posted by khblair
Zaino............

Old 08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
khblair
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

thought id post up a few pics of my zaino work
after a Dawn bath (needless to say, I about had a stroke when i saw her stripped of all wax)

after pretty much all of the zaino steps

Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 PM
LUVMYC6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by khblair
thought id post up a few pics of my zaino work. After a Dawn bath (needless to say, I about had a stroke when i saw her stripped of all wax)
Nice work on that beautiful, and now shiny, black vert Kim!

I just finished doing the Dawn, Z-5 w/Z-FX, and Z-6 steps tonight. It got dark and muggy so I had to stop. Seeing your finished results gives me even more incentive to get the rest of the steps done so that my baby will get all nice and shiny too.

Get notified of new replies

To Some questions about Zaino

Quick Reply: Some questions about Zaino