Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:05 AM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
There is what we call the point of diminishing return ....most will suggest its two coats. Its not really about durability, its more about full coverage. As you noted a thin light coat is all that's needed with Souveran Paste, anything more is wasted product. In the Pinnacle line we now offer Souveran Spray Wax which is a bit more booster than Crystal Mist.

If you need more durability, you might want to try the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran. Its a completely different formula. Very glossy and durable especially on metallic. Not quite the depth of Souveran Paste, but another option within one of the greatest lines.
Thx for reply. My biggest goal is depth of shine,gloss and showing off the metallic of the cyber gray paint. I really like how the sun shows off the blue dots in the paint. I'm not so much concerned about durability. Sounds like best option is 2 coats of the paste. Thx again.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by jackcasual
Thx for reply. My biggest goal is depth of shine,gloss and showing off the metallic of the cyber gray paint. I really like how the sun shows off the blue dots in the paint. I'm not so much concerned about durability. Sounds like best option is 2 coats of the paste. Thx again.
When your Souveran Paste runs out, consider the Liquid Souveran or SSII Paste. You might like it more on metallic. We have a samples area too, for some options like the Blackfire Sealant (which is also very popular). Souveran Paste offers depth and a 3 dimensional look that others cannot duplicate.

http://www.autogeek.net/car-care-samples.html
Old 04-18-2014, 03:24 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

When your Souveran Paste runs out, consider the Liquid Souveran or SSII Paste. You might like it more on metallic. We have a samples area too, for some options like the Blackfire Sealant (which is also very popular). Souveran Paste offers depth and a 3 dimensional look that others cannot duplicate.

http://www.autogeek.net/car-care-samples.html
Killrwheels....what do you think of adding Pinnacle Souveran on top of 3 coats of Blackfire All Paints Sealant....will I gain anything? I know I will give up some of the "slickness" of the sealant. I would appreciate hearing your opinion. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:49 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tractman
Killrwheels....what do you think of adding Pinnacle Souveran on top of 3 coats of Blackfire All Paints Sealant....will I gain anything? I know I will give up some of the "slickness" of the sealant. I would appreciate hearing your opinion. Thanks.
I don't personally like toppers .... I find that I want the look of one product. Blackfire offers a great sealant and it looks great too. You certainly can try Souveran on top, and might see a little more wetness and depth.

If you want to try the look of a wax with sealant properties, you could try Wolfgang Fuzion or our new Synergy from Pinnacle which has coating properties with wax.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:11 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Question?

What product do you recommend for hiding or eliminating if possible swirls (by hand) on a 1988 white car?
This is primarily for a metal car but if it works on the Corvette even better.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

I don't personally like toppers .... I find that I want the look of one product. Blackfire offers a great sealant and it looks great too. You certainly can try Souveran on top, and might see a little more wetness and depth.

If you want to try the look of a wax with sealant properties, you could try Wolfgang Fuzion or our new Synergy from Pinnacle which has coating properties with wax.
Thanks Killrwheels.....I have both the Fuzion and the Souveran that I purchased from you and have used it many times....both are incredible products and so easy to use. I'm leaning towards Souveran on the Torch Red.......I'll post a photo once I have it finished.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tractman
Thanks Killrwheels.....I have both the Fuzion and the Souveran that I purchased from you and have used it many times....both are incredible products and so easy to use. I'm leaning towards Souveran on the Torch Red.......I'll post a photo once I have it finished.
incredible ... you cannot do wrong with either, and I too would move to Souveran for the depth.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:16 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

When detailing high end Black daily drivers, what is the most durable wax which does not leave a white residue I can use after the correction process? Pinnacle Souveran paste wax is a great product but a little costly for the DD's and the durability could be better, is there a better choice for Black DD's?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:53 AM
kssod
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, please some warm dry days in cleveland so I can break out the detailer kit.

Nanoskin fine clay mit
Griot DA
Wolfgang TSW3.0, Finish and sealant
lots of pads

lots of cars to detail
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
When detailing high end Black daily drivers, what is the most durable wax which does not leave a white residue I can use after the correction process? Pinnacle Souveran paste wax is a great product but a little costly for the DD's and the durability could be better, is there a better choice for Black DD's?
Its often the cleaners and polishes in waxes that leave the white marks. Blackfire Midnight Sun, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, and Wolfgang Fuzion would be my immediate choices. Blackfires BlackIce and Pinnacle Synergy are super nice too, but $$$.

Have you ever tried a sealant (synthetic wax) ??? Super secret, Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection. (WOW)

Originally Posted by kssod
Please, please some warm dry days in cleveland so I can break out the detailer kit.

Nanoskin fine clay mit
Griot DA
Wolfgang TSW3.0, Finish and sealant
lots of pads

lots of cars to detail
nice products indeed ....Claying and polishing are valid steps in car care. You might also want to check on a product called Iron-X as another valid prep step.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Its often the cleaners and polishes in waxes that leave the white marks. Blackfire Midnight Sun, Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, and Wolfgang Fuzion would be my immediate choices. Blackfires BlackIce and Pinnacle Synergy are super nice too, but $$$.

Have you ever tried a sealant (synthetic wax) ??? Super secret, Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection. (WOW)

nice products indeed ....Claying and polishing are valid steps in car care. You might also want to check on a product called Iron-X as another valid prep step.
Thanks Jason, just what I wanted to know.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Thanks Jason, just what I wanted to know.
it's actually Scott
Old 05-06-2014, 04:36 PM
Village joe
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi, just picked up 2014 crystal red stingray with blade silver racing stripes. Would like to
Purchase Porter Cable buffer. What kit do you recommend ? Is it o.k. To use the buffer over
The racing stripes. Thank you . Joe
Old 05-06-2014, 06:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Village joe
Hi, just picked up 2014 crystal red stingray with blade silver racing stripes. Would like to
Purchase Porter Cable buffer. What kit do you recommend ? Is it o.k. To use the buffer over
The racing stripes. Thank you . Joe
http://www.autogeek.net/pc7424-menze...ramic-kit.html

Probably my favorite kit as I love Menzerna polishes and they make a notable difference on the harder Vettes Clearcoat.

If the stripes are painted then you can polish them, if they are vinyl or stickers then refrain. When in doubt stay away from them.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:56 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

it's actually Scott
I knew that, sorry.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

I knew that, sorry.
.... no worries !
Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Wampa
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've spent 4 days trying to remove blanket of fine swirls on my white 2010 with my PC DA and various pads/polishes (everything from autogeek; you guys are great!) I've had great results on 10+ cars, including a friends car last week, but can't seem to make ANY change to condition of mine. What is different about the C6??? What can I change or buy to make on impact??

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Wampa
I've spent 4 days trying to remove blanket of fine swirls on my white 2010 with my PC DA and various pads/polishes (everything from autogeek; you guys are great!) I've had great results on 10+ cars, including a friends car last week, but can't seem to make ANY change to condition of mine. What is different about the C6??? What can I change or buy to make on impact??
Please provide the steps and how you are doing each step as well as the products used. Generally speaking the Vette's clearcoat is quite hard and needs additional care to correct. You will use speed, pressure, and the correct polish/pad combo's to get the results needed.

Visit our forum at www.autogeekonline.com and you can find many video's from Corvette owners.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:13 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,499 Likes on 3,586 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What's the date of the 2015 Car show, at your place, like to plan ahead, hope you guys do also, namely about the bathroom problem.

Hope to see you all there, big bargains like you had the last show.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM
David A.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the Porter Cable Blackfire package. The videos I’ve watched about polishing with a DA always shows the person working on the center of a flat hood. What about the places where you can’t have the entire pad on the surface? Does the DA still make it safe if I’m working where I can only use a couple inches of the 5” pad? I guess I’m asking if the technique has to change when you get to the smaller places and the edges.

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread