Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Car Washing & Waxing 101 - The Videos

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:13 PM
LoneStar26047
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great Job Junkman! My arms and my Vette thank you!

Do you work in TV? Your ability with a camera and the 'face for radio' saying are things I associate with TV Techies.

Thanks again for the effort.

This post needs to be a sticky!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStar26047
Great Job Junkman! My arms and my Vette thank you!

Do you work in TV? Your ability with a camera and the 'face for radio' saying are things I associate with TV Techies.

Thanks again for the effort.

This post needs to be a sticky!
Okay, you busted me. I've been doing a computer show on radio and TV for about 10 years. As a matter of fact, I plugged the Corvette Forum shortly after I found it. That's the least I could do for a place who's members have helped me out tremendously.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
Okay, you busted me. I've been doing a computer show on radio and TV for about 10 years. As a matter of fact, I plugged the Corvette Forum shortly after I found it. That's the least I could do for a place who's members have helped me out tremendously.
Very cool......
Old 05-10-2008, 06:48 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The title says it all, there's not much reading to this. I did a video of how I wash and wax my car for folks who are looking for some kind of direction. This is by no means a bible to how it should be done as that would be very disrespectful to those who are actually in this business and other who know a hell of a lot more about this than I ever will. It is however what I do for now and I will probably change up my procedure as more experienced minds chime in with what they feel is an improvement in my technique. If you actually watch these from You Tube's website, you can choose to watch the higher quality video which will come in handy when viewing the waxing sections.

One important point that I should make is that I had already prepped the car months ago by claybarring it using the process described at the Zaino website. What you will see here is basically the ritual that I use to keep the paint in excellent condition.

Very good videos! Since you are open to hear some suggestions, I will put mine in there. I've been doing professional detailing with Zaino for several years now, so I thought you might be interested in my input.

-I agree with a former post about wringing out the mitt after rinsing it in the water bucket

-For the PC and the smaller pad, you should be using a 4" backing plate; don't risk the paint by keeping the larger plate on with a small pad. By the same measure, the yellow Megs pad you used was an 8" pad, which is a little bit big for the PC. Also for an 8" pad you need to use a 6.5" backing plate.

-Before applying Zaino to a freshly buffed surface you need to either wash it again with dawn or wipedown with a 50/50 water/alcohol mix. Reason being, the buffing products usually contain oils that hinder the Zaino from bonding to the surface properly.

-When applying Zaino, you need a base first. Either ZAIO as a first coat or ZFX added to the Z2 or Z5

-There is nothing wrong with using Zaino on the PC for applying it, but here are a few thoughts regarding it. With such little applied to such a soft pad, the amount of product actually applied will be very small. Now granted, you don't need to use much Zaino, however I think you are spreading it too thin. Also, the yellow Megs pad is slightly abrasive, and not generally recommending for applying sealants or waxes. The tan/beige Megs pad is designed specifically for that and has no abrasive qualities and is considerably softer.

-The california car duster is treated with oils and I wouldn't recommend using it before removing the Zaino. A better method would be use a clean MF towell and gently glide it (under its own weight) across the surface to remove any dust. Since the surface is so smooth, any dust will come off very easily.

-If using both Z2 and Z5 on the paint, its recommended to always finish with the Z2. So do the Z5 first, then Z2.

-Last point...maybe just a pet peeve... Zaino is not a wax. Its a sealant.

With all that said, I think you did a fantastic job! Explained everything very well and easy to understand. You even put a little soul into the vid that made it fun to watch. The mid-detail BBQ was something I never thought of, but wow a great idea!

Last edited by GoFast908Z; 05-10-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Toy4Two
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, your videos have been a great help to me.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Jeff, I need to come sit in on your class!

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely incorporate your suggestions into my procedures. I was hoping someone in the business would jump in with some suggestions. I heard from Sal which was nice.

I guess I'll have to do the new and improved videos, once I get your suggestions down. Thanks again for the input. The learning on the forum never stops thanks to guys like yourself who are willing to share the knowledge.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:00 AM
wallifishrmn
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent videos. Thanks for taking your time to share your knowledge with the rest of the forum members. Job well done
Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow Jeff, I need to come sit in on your class!

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely incorporate your suggestions into my procedures. I was hoping someone in the business would jump in with some suggestions. I heard from Sal which was nice.

I guess I'll have to do the new and improved videos, once I get your suggestions down. Thanks again for the input. The learning on the forum never stops thanks to guys like yourself who are willing to share the knowledge.
Hey, I'm glad I could help AJ! Yeah Sal does cruise around here; he's a good guy You've got some good skills going man, keep it up!

BTW, your sig... AWESOME.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 PM
va2ac
Instructor

Originally Posted by bobsride
I want to say on how great all of your posts are. Each one that I view I learn from them. You are one of the reasons the Forum is the wealth of information on our hobby.
Now just thank your family, the academy, and your loyal fans and exit stage left.

Thanks for all your input....
I got some excellent tips from watching your video.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:00 AM
mbroadway
Pro

AJ,
You amaze me. Great videos. Now, I've got to get a PC, and some of that Zaino magic liquids.

I do have one question: What's your cure for paint chips? I've painted chips on cars before with that thick, gooey, paint you get from the dealer. I hate it. It usually looks worse than the chip did.

So, what do you do for rock chips? Is there a way to do it so they don't show?

Thanks again for taking all that time and effort to show how you use the PC. And, man, those filets looked great. Now you've gone and made me hungry!

Michael in KC
Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW!!! That is good stuff to learn off of Junkman The only thing missing was you putting on your 80's Cameo WordUp suit

But on the serious side, very informative videos. It sounded like you set the PC to 5 to spread the Zaino Polish, 4 to work it in, and then 3 for the Zaino wax??? Just want to make sure my notes are correct, Thanks for sharing
Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Junkman? Junkman? Are you still alive
Old 05-17-2008, 03:15 PM
RBChallenger
Racer

Ok, this was just flat awesome... great sig junkman!!!
Old 05-17-2008, 05:18 PM
CropDuster
Safety Car

Great thread, I've hoped for something like this for a while. Now, if only I can talk the county into paving my dirt road.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 PM
CharlieB1979
Burning Brakes

Enough is enough, I got all the way up to when Junkman goes and checks his grill.

Junkman is officially my hero. Period. End of.

I feel a hell of alot smarter now when it comes to washing my baby. Wish I could buy him a 6 pack for all his time and effort...despite the fact that his time and effort is worth a helluva lot more than that .
Old 05-22-2008, 07:01 AM
nealmeadows
Advanced

Default Car Washng & Waxing...

THANKS Junkman for sharing your knowledge and techniques!!!! You have got great presentation skills!!!! One question if I may about the process of removing swirls/scratches. Is it correct to assume that when you remove the swirls and or scratches you are also removing some of the clearcoat finish as well? If that is true, then you have a limited number of times you can remove the swirls in a given area before you completely remove the clearcoat and hit the paint???

Thanks in advance,

Neal Meadows
Old 05-22-2008, 09:28 AM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great Job AJ I enjoyed watching the news cast

Very cool gig you got there!

Andy Wheeler

Get notified of new replies

To Car Washing & Waxing 101 - The Videos

Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I just came across this thread and I've got to say that Junkman2000, you have some Mad Skillz!

I Really enjoyed the videos and you are Very entertaining (not to mention that I learned something, which is always a plus). Have you ever tried a leaf blower to get the heavy water off and out of the crevices? It works Great and then just follow it up with your towels. If you've got enough polish/sealant on the car, the leaf blower will blow the water right off.

Also, I've found that if you take all nozzles off your hoses and just let the water run on the car to rinse it, the water will provide a sheeting action and it helps against spotting. I have to do this because I don't have the cool car wash garage that you've got and I have to wash mine outside because I don't want my couch to get wet!

GREAT job on the videos and Thank You Very Much for both taking the time to make them and for posting them up! Too often will I watch a video and think (or even say) that it was time of my life that I'll Never get back, but your vids were time well spent!

Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Yr6
Instructor

pretty cool junkman thanks for all the how to's
Old 08-25-2008, 10:36 PM
aprils50th
4th Gear

How many coats of Z2 & Z5 would you recommend on applying? Unfortunately, we don't have a garage so my 50th Anniversary is out in the weather. Should I apply more coats to help with that?

Quick Reply: Car Washing & Waxing 101 - The Videos