Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

walmart swirl remover...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:25 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default walmart swirl remover...

i already have all the zaino and i'm probably gonna attempt the vette the first time this weekend (even with the crappy weather ) .. i plan on trying the zpc first with an orange pad and hopefully that will rid of the swirls.. well here's the question.. i dont really wanna spend the 30 bucks for the SIP just yet so i bought some 'turtle wax' medium/heavy swirl remover from walyworld. i'm at work now so i dont have the bottle with me, but it's in a green bottle. i read the back and it was convincing enough for 6 bucks. has anybody tried this stuff? what about other walyworld/autozone products? :
Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 PM
kh24
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the SIP. I broke down and purchased it after trying a few other products. ZPC did nothing for swirls on my car but did leave such a slick smooth glassy finish. I did one pass of SIP on my hood so far and its damn near perfect. I wouldnt try that turtle wax stuff
Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry have no 1st hand experience with that product.
But my concern is that some of these products from Kmart and Wally World are very aggressive rubbing compounds. If you dive in head first, you may produce such severe marring that your finish could look 10 times worse when you're done.

I suggest:
  1. Don't use that stuff, unless one of the pros in here has used that exact same product and can tell you its level of cut.
  2. if you decide to try it anyway, start with a white pad.
  3. AND most important - only do a 2' X 2' test area, wipe off and reinspect after each pass -- until you see how it's turning out.

If you marr a 2' X 2' test area, it's easy to fix it with MIP, rather than trying to fix an entire car surface.

But my strong recommendation is : don't try to save $20 to risk destroying the finish on a $60,000 car. It just doesn't make sense.

Remember, the $25 you spend on a good polish -- will last you several YEARS. It's a good investment.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

thanks guys.. i looked at the bottle earlier today and its a rubbing compound for meadium to heavy oxidation and scratches.. i probably wont use it.. might test it on a couple scratches on my explorer.. are there any recommended products from an autoparts store? i plan on workin on the vette tomorrow and sunday so theres no time to order anything online
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I only use Menzerna and Zaino polishes, but some people in here like 3M and that should be available in a local Napa store, if you have one. This is a useful chart. You want a light to medium cut polish.

http://www.dano.pocketrubbish.com/de...oductchart.htm
Old 04-12-2008, 03:31 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

go to NAPA
3M #39002 as your workhorse polish to remove swirlmarks. Works great with orange pad, setting 5 - 6 on PC

Then when finish has 90% of scratches removed, go over it with 3M #39009 with white pad, setting 5.

They're great products -- in truth I think just as good as Menzerna.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:09 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried the 3M swirl remover that they have at walmart and autozone and it worked pretty well for removing 80% of the swirls on my brothers 02 cadi's hood on an orange pad...wasn't quite strong enough to get everything out.

It was 8 bucks when I got it at...maybe target?

Get notified of new replies

To walmart swirl remover...

Quick Reply: walmart swirl remover...