Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Vert top care recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM
RJMC5
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Vert top care recomendations

Hello everyone,

Anybody have any recomendations on care and feeding for convertible tops? I have an 02 black top that is in great shape, just want to keep it looking new as well as protecting it.

Many thanks
Rudy from NM
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

first C5 had a black top....this one is shale.....I usually vacuum the top before I wash the car...then wash it like you would normally. Mine is garage kept so I use Rag Top once every year or even two. We have a place down the Jersey Shore so thats one reason I like to vacuum first,to get the sand out
Old 04-07-2008, 06:14 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

1. wash as little as possible.
2. avoid using car wash to wash
3. vaccum with the brush attachment( you want to get dust and road gritout of the fabric. the grit particles act like internal sanpaper and abrade the fabric significantly shortening its life.
4. when you do need to spot clean or wash use a fabric convertible top cleaner like Aerospace 303 or Raggtopp. I prefer Raggtopp but it is usually hard to find locally ( Mercedes and BMW dealers may carry it)
Most auto pasts chains will carry Aerospace 303
5. When the water stops beading up, it is time to water proof it ( the more you wash with a sopa or cleaner the more often you need to treat) After you have vacuumed, then washed the top. LET IT DRY AT LEAST 48 HOURS in the sun or in a garage . This is critical... If you treat a damp top you WILL SEAL IN the moisture and WILL get mold and mildew. Don't expect the 48 hours to be enough it it is raining outside as the air in the garage will be too humid to allow proper drying.
6. Apply light even coats of the protectant. Let it dry as per the manufacturer's recommendations before you take the Vert out in the rain.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:28 PM
smdorsey
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Use about a half of a cap full of Tide detergent in a large bucket of warm water. Get yourself one of those hand wash mits and scrub the top. Rinse with hose or power washer. I used the Tide with Febreeze... cleaned it amazingly and smelled good too!
Peace.
Stephen

p.s. NO TIDE WITH BLEACH!
Old 04-07-2008, 06:50 PM
C5Pat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rws.1
1. wash as little as possible.
2. avoid using car wash to wash
3. vaccum with the brush attachment( you want to get dust and road gritout of the fabric. the grit particles act like internal sanpaper and abrade the fabric significantly shortening its life.
4. when you do need to spot clean or wash use a fabric convertible top cleaner like Aerospace 303 or Raggtopp. I prefer Raggtopp but it is usually hard to find locally ( Mercedes and BMW dealers may carry it)
Most auto pasts chains will carry Aerospace 303
5. When the water stops beading up, it is time to water proof it ( the more you wash with a sopa or cleaner the more often you need to treat) After you have vacuumed, then washed the top. LET IT DRY AT LEAST 48 HOURS in the sun or in a garage . This is critical... If you treat a damp top you WILL SEAL IN the moisture and WILL get mold and mildew. Don't expect the 48 hours to be enough it it is raining outside as the air in the garage will be too humid to allow proper drying.
6. Apply light even coats of the protectant. Let it dry as per the manufacturer's recommendations before you take the Vert out in the rain.
What kind of waterproof do you use? Can you get it at a dealer?........Thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Pat
What kind of waterproof do you use? Can you get it at a dealer?........Thanks
RaggTopp Protectant You can buy Raggtopp products at many online car care stores.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:31 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/rafaca.html
Old 04-07-2008, 09:20 PM
C5Pat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys
Old 04-08-2008, 12:41 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

another vote for raggtopp --
you can see my pics : http://bugmanweb.com - click on "raggtopp". When I put it to the test, gave excellent water beading for almost 18 months. So I reapply once a year.

mostly I just rinse with water when I wash the car. Use a $2 lint remover to remove dust and dirt in-between.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:29 AM
jdreg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have good luck getting lint and other things that collect on the top, with one of those sticky lint rollers for clothes

Get notified of new replies

To Vert top care recomendations

Quick Reply: Vert top care recomendations