Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How often do you clay your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Sullivette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by khblair
why?
Bugman isnt one of the firm believers in semi-frequent claying.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:44 PM
BaBa Booey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Bugman. I defy anyone to pick out a clayed car from a non clayed car just by looking at them. It's impossible. Besides, who walks around rubbing cars with a baggie? If you think your paint looks better after being clayed I would say you are experiencing the placebo effect.
Claying can damage your car even when done correctly. So why risk damage when there is no appreciable benefit?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Less often w/ Zaino, I find...

I used to clay twice a season when using carnuba waxes or else I lost the deep "hot wet tar" black on black look/shine. It was all that stripping and claying that prompted me to look for something better.

After I went to the Zaino polish, I went 3 seasons (before trading the car for a red "Z") w/o feeling the need to clay again. After a couple or three routine washings, I would hit it with a thin coat of Z2 followed by Z6. Or, if I was headed to a show or a cruise, I would spritz it with that insane Z8 and it would look like obsidian (black glass)...Waaay kewal!!!

It seems to me that the harder the wax/polish is, especially when hot (and those w/ black cars know what I mean), the less contaminants are going to become embedded and requiring clay barring to clean it up. If you live a rural area vs. near industrial or heavy manufacturing plants, it would make a big difference on how often clay barring was necessary, regardless of the wax/polish applied. All I can say is I live in a dusty rural area, and I found carnuba waxes required a lot of constant fussing to keep it looking good on a black car. My wife's pearl white C3 can wear just about anything and look good w/ very little care. I'm going to do the Zaino treatment this year, but I'm not expecting to see a lot of difference on that paint.

P.

Quick Reply: How often do you clay your car?