Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette
View Poll Results: What is your Clearseal application time?
5 minutes or less
18.18%
6 minutes
22.73%
7 minutes
4.55%
8 minutes
13.64%
9 minutes
0%
10 minutes or longer
40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Post your Zaino CS time!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 09:43 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Post your Zaino CS time!

ok - for the past year, I've gotten totally hooked on Clearseal. My results keep getting better. It's so easy that I've completely stopped using Z2, Z5, and all I do is CS and Z8. Tonight I thought I'd time myself: came out with 6 minutes (not rushing , just moving at a normal pace) to cover the C6.

Thought it'd be fun to see what times you other guys get -- this is not a race, but I want to see the average time it takes, moving at a brisk but not hurried pace, for a layer of Clearseal.

please vote in the poll also - would be nice to see a graphic representation. And I'm hoping for actual times - not just guess or estimations by memory . Thanks for any participation!

And people still write stuff like "Zaino is too complicated and time consuming" -- let me see if anyone can put on a coat of #26 and take it off in less than 6 minutes

Last edited by bugman; 04-05-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:45 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll have to wait till the next time I use it, my guess would be 10 minutes, but it takes a good half hour to go over it with Z6 first, I do not apply CS without doing that first.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:59 PM
0JPM@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Location: The AutoBuffs Army is unmatched in the Custom world! www.autobuffs.net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S. Jersey Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Just applied a coat today, Took me around 8 to 10 mins give or take!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:40 AM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 91 Posts

When you are going over the car, are you trying to keep the coverage even, or does it not matter? It just seemed when I tried it for the first time last week that I was only "smearing" it around where I sprayed each panel, and that it wasn't actually covering it if I didn't see it?

Or, if it doesn't dry completely perfect, do you not care since you are coming back over it with Z8?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:37 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm taking a guess, but just did a full size sedan with ZCS and then Z8, I'm guessing 10 min.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:23 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

well, that's pretty good, Josh - The Vette is very small and easy. Doing a full sedan would take a good bit longer.

Hank -- I'm not among the norm here . I actually put it on pretty thick - and I spray on the panel, then go over it lightly with the applicator 2 or 3 times to even out any high or low spots -- so yes, when I do it, I'm leaving a smooth uniform coat of coverage.

My impression is that other guys use way less. But this is what works for me. I think the biggest evil is --- applying outside in the wind -- the overspray will give you horrible smearing if it is allowed to dry before you get to it. Doing my Vette inside, this is never a problem - perfect results every time . Man I love this stuff ! Have to go out and stare at the car once more before bed.

oh - I usually DO put a spritz of Z8 on it later, but you don't have to depend on that --- it always looks pefect before I even get to the Z8. I leave PLENTY of time before applying Z8 - like an hour if possible.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:14 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

My Z2 and Z5 is collecting alot of dust these days. Once I got the hang of the ZCS followed by Z8 it's hard to use anything else. I just bought a 4 post lift for the garage which allows me detailing at eye level. Great for wheels and the lower half of the car. I haven't timed it but once the car is clean and ready I don't think it takes more than 5 minutes to do a coat of Clear Seal on a Vette.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 923 Likes on 457 Posts

I have never really paid that much attention to the time, but it's less than ten minutes.
I'll be doing a coat soon, so maybe I'll check then.
Part of the instructions should be to apply indoors.
I think Josh was the first one to recommend spraying directly to the applicator, and that is how I apply it now. One shot/panel, and I keep a dedicated applicator in a ziploc bag.
I put a piece of tape on my bottle and mark it every time. I barely have enough room in between markings.
I'll still keep my Z5/Z2 though.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
well, that's pretty good, Josh - The Vette is very small and easy. Doing a full sedan would take a good bit longer.

Hank -- I'm not among the norm here . I actually put it on pretty thick - and I spray on the panel, then go over it lightly with the applicator 2 or 3 times to even out any high or low spots -- so yes, when I do it, I'm leaving a smooth uniform coat of coverage.

My impression is that other guys use way less. But this is what works for me. I think the biggest evil is --- applying outside in the wind -- the overspray will give you horrible smearing if it is allowed to dry before you get to it. Doing my Vette inside, this is never a problem - perfect results every time . Man I love this stuff ! Have to go out and stare at the car once more before bed.

oh - I usually DO put a spritz of Z8 on it later, but you don't have to depend on that --- it always looks pefect before I even get to the Z8. I leave PLENTY of time before applying Z8 - like an hour if possible.
what type of applicator do you use - foam,mf? what prep before cs? my base polish is klasse aio.

thanks
Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bugman, and anyone else, I think you would be better off applying two light layers than trying to put on one thick, which could be said for all Zaino products

The most difficult thing about CS is seeing where you applied it, especially on silver, my VR Vette was no problem to see where I had applied, but it goes on so fast may as well two layers rather than fret over whether you have covered a spot or not.

I am also of the opinion it must be done in a garage with paint at ambient temp and also prefer to spray applicator rather than panel
Old 04-07-2008, 10:07 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

As mentioned I do spray it directly onto the applicator, I just find it easier to control that way.

I spray twice on the pad to load it then, do half the hood, then continue with one spray per panel and if I feel the pad is drying up a bit, I'll do a double spray especially on larger panels.

Oh and I always wipe it in at least 2 times per panel so that (as bugman mentioned) it is evenly spread.

Probably takes me 10 minutes if I'm working fast. Then a very light Z8 wipe down.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 AM
BlueV
Advanced

It probably takes me 15 minutes to CS our SUV (roof, paint, glass, wheels, trim, jams, hard plastic surfaces), and 10 or less for the car.

CS is such an easy to use product and the results are always rewarding. I love the stuff too.

I prefer using a cotton applicator, and spraying CS on the paint working it in a cross hatch pattern (2-3 passes per area). Works like a charm for me.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:40 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,769 Likes on 970 Posts

I do C5's and C6's in about 4-6 minutes, my Escalade's take about 10 minutes because of running up and down the ladder.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM
mdb917
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Intersting question and the timing is perfect (no pun intended). I just did my C6 yesterday and for whatever reason I noticed the time before I started and received a phone call just as I was finishing so I know exactly how long it took me ---- 12 min. I do it in the same fashion as Bugman, spritz an area fairly heavily and go over it a couple of times. Plus, I'm an older guy .
Old 04-09-2008, 03:48 PM
VetterMan
Burning Brakes

Takes a bit longer to do the Viper but worth it for the extra shine.
Finishing with Finale spray tops things off very well.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:45 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by maxp
what type of applicator do you use - foam,mf? what prep before cs? my base polish is klasse aio.

thanks
Max - use a cotton Zaino applicator - usually comes free with your zaino order, or your can find some at auto parts stores. Though you can put almost anything under clearseal, it works just fine if all you do is wash, [then buff to remove swirlmarks if any], then go right to clearseal. Bonds just fine to bare paint. I also have one applicator that I only use for clearseal - it goes in a ziplock bag afterward to save it for the next time.

Capevettes -- I'm like you, I've barely touched my Z2 and Z5 in the past year. Seriously think they're going to grow some mold. Great products, but just doesn't seem like I need them. CS is the greatest thing since the invention of the pizza.

Last edited by bugman; 04-12-2008 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:30 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,573 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bugman
Max - use a cotton Zaino applicator - usually comes free with your zaino order, or your can find some at auto parts stores. Though you can put almost anything under clearseal, it works just fine if all you do is wash, [then buff to remove swirlmarks if any], then go right to clearseal. Bonds just fine to bare paint. I also have one applicator that I only use for clearseal - it goes in a ziplock bag afterward to save it for the next time.

Capevettes -- I'm like you, I've barely touched my Z2 and Z5 in the past year. Seriously think they're going to grow some mold. Great products, but just doesn't seem like I need them. CS is the greatest thing since the invention of the pizza.
Great minds think alike. Tonight is Pizza Night

Get notified of new replies

To Post your Zaino CS time!

Quick Reply: Post your Zaino CS time!