Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Cleaning products for convertible top

Old 12-05-2001, 01:55 PM
ldowns
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning products for convertible top

I am looking for information on products to clean and protect the top on our new C5 convertible.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:08 PM
TexasAg98
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Cleaning products for convertible top (ldowns)

I bought a hand vac and the GM Convertible top cleaning products.

Old 12-06-2001, 12:23 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Porsche makes a very nice convertible top cleaner.

I was not impressed with the 303 Fabric Guard, but have read positive reviews of the RaggTopp protectant.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:35 AM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Cleaning products for convertible top (rubyred93)

Use Hartz Fabric Roof Cleaner to clean your cloth top. Then spray on 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. My top is treated with it and it beads water. I don't know why rubyred93 didn't like it, but it's worked great on my '01.
Old 12-06-2001, 12:32 PM
ldowns
4th Gear

Thanks, I just ordered the 303 fabric kit and got the word on the RaggTopp by the Haartz folks also. Guess it's supposed to be pretty good. Will give them both a try and see how it comes out.

[Modified by ldowns, 4:33 PM 12/6/2001]

[Modified by ldowns, 4:34 PM 12/6/2001]
Old 12-06-2001, 08:50 PM
KLO
Safety Car

The material on the C5 tops is made by this company http://www.haartz.com and they have very specific instructions on what two products to use on their materail. Their brand name Haartz spray cleaner and then to seal the fabric with 303 Fabric Guard.

I have both of these products in stock, the Haartz cleaner is not sold in stores and is hard to find. Both of these run 27.50 plus shipping. Send me an email if you need the correct products for the fabric.

Here is the procedure;

Important: A program of keeping the top clean through regular washings BEFORE it gets dirty, will enhance the life and beauty of an acrylic top and make successive cleaning easier.

Most automatic car washes will not harm sport topping fabrics. Washes with water jets and hanging cloths are preferred. Those using heavy barrel brushes should be avoided. Haartz recommends hand washing in the shade or partial shade, not direct sunlight.

Bird and tree droppings as well as other loose particle soils should be removed immediately. Vacuum the top with a brush attachment and rinse the roof fabric thoroughly with water to remove these loose particle soils. This will also prevent the soils from being redeposited during the cleaning process. Once the top has been rinsed thoroughly, spray apply Haartz Roof Cleaner evenly over the entire top while the top is still wet. Washing with soap and warm water is a safe alternative to Haartz Roof Cleaner, but not as effective. DO NOT USE DETERGENTS. Allow the roof cleaner to soak into the top for 10 to 20 minutes and then scrub the top lightly with a soft nylon brush or terry cloth rag. Rinse thoroughly, preferably until no
remaining soap foam is observed. Allow to dry. Additional cleaning may be
required. It is best to determine this after the top has dried completely. After drying, cleaning must be followed by re-water repelling the fabric with a fluorocarbon system such as 303 High Tech Fabric Guard . Failure to do so will result in rapid resoiling of the unprotected fabric.

The fabric itself does not promote mildew growth. However, mildew may grow on dirt and other foreign substances that are not removed from the fabric. For these more stubborn cases, soak the fabric for approximately 20 minutes in a solution of no more than ½ cup (4 oz.) bleach and ¼ cup (2 oz.) Haartz Roof Cleaner per gallon of water and scrub lightly as indicated above. Excessive soaking with the bleach solution can deteriorate seam threads, so be sure to rinse thoroughly.

Rinse entire vehicle to remove all of the bleach solution from fabric and to prevent streaking on painted and chrome surfaces. Acrylic fabric readily absorbs water but dries quickly. Several cleanings may be necessary.

Do NOT use top dressing cleaners or conditioners containing silicones, organic solvents, petroleum distillates or plasticizers that may permanently stain the fabric. This product is made from 100% solution dyed acrylic fiber which is thermoplastic. Do NOT subject to excessive heat.

The use of stronger cleansers should be left to professionals experienced in handling this type of fabric to avoid discoloration and degradation of the special protective inner layer

Old 12-07-2001, 12:25 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Default Re: Cleaning products for convertible top (KLO)

KLO -

Haartz sure does have very specific instructions on which two products to use on their tops....if you read the Web Page, you will see that they no longer endorse 303 Products....but do recommend the use of RaggTopp Cleaner and RaggTopp Protectant. :bb :p:

In order to update your information, I will tell you that there was a problem with the manufacturer of the 303 Product Line altering the products without conferring with Haartz. Not a wise choice. Haartz has since begun to both endorse and recommend the use of RaggTopp products....not 303. :rolleyes: Read it for yourself. :sleep:
Old 12-07-2001, 12:54 AM
KLO
Safety Car

Red, I really do not care what kind of deal Haartz and Raggtopp have made and do not know how much Raggtopp paid Haartz, but I KNOW my products work or I would not carry them. Changes in the 303 product occurred in that they went from an aerosol can to a pump spray, due to several reasons one probably being that Scotchguard in the aerosol form was pulled from consumer sales by 3M for some sort of enviro concerns. And that you can not ship aerosol by air. Here is an email I received a few days ago from one of my customers who has been using my top kit:

I know it has been a while since I bought the Haartz top cleaner and
protector from you (last spring), but I have been waiting to see how
well it works. My top (tan) is 1 year old and it looks brand new!
Several people have asked me how I do it. I tell them about your kit.
The garage is the biggest help, but your products are the best. I told
my sister in Maryland about it and she bought the kit. She is pleased
also.
Thanks for the instructions with a great product(s).
Andy G.

I have researched the top situation to a great degree, I attended a seminar held at the Corvette Museum in April of 1999 where GM techs demonstrated to the C5 bash crowd how to maintain the top material with 303 and Haartz cleaner, after that the Corvette Museum started handling both products as they still do.

Raggtopp does make good products, and I have had some of them in inventory at one time and I still have 6 or so cans.
Old 12-07-2001, 01:18 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

First - The concerns that pulled the 3M Scotch Guard off the shelves were not environmental, but biological, as in CARCINOGEN.

Second - No one spoke of any monetary exchanges between Haartz and RaggTopp, did they? I simply stated that before you go and tell others to use 303 because that's what Haartz recommends, you should check your information...they no longer recommend the use of 303. Like I said, read it for yourself.

Third - No one spoke of the Corvette Museum and it's preferences, either. We are speaking of Haartz, the manufacturer of these tops, correct?

Fourth - No one said that 303 did not work, did they? Simply put, I am pointing out that your information is incorrect. I don't have a vested interest here. :nopity
Old 12-07-2001, 01:44 AM
KLO
Safety Car

I do not believe my instructions are in anyway incorrect, if it is your opinion that my information is incorrect that is fine.

It is clear when you read the http://www.haartz.com web site they have entered into some sort of profitable agreement with Raggtopp (note that it says in the press release that "Terms were not disclosed" in the agreement") True the website does not say anything about using their own brand name cleaner spray and the 303 Fabric Guard any longer, but I know that the original recommend two prducts by Haartz still work fine.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:43 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

great info guys...way to keep level heads :cheers:

I also use a rolling lint brush for the top between cleaning....:)
Old 12-08-2001, 12:42 AM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KLO... sup man, long time no talk. :D

RubyRed is right however. I love the 303 product, and I use it on my carpet (and RAGGTOPP on my top). I support BOTH products. 303 is an awesome product... period. But RubyRed was correct in saying that your information was incorrect. Not the facts that 303 is an awesome product, but that Haartz does not recommend them anymore (regardless of the politics of the $).

Basically, instead of saying "Haartz supports 303", just say "303 gives the best results from what myself and my customers have tried".

Andy
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

RaggTopp on both my Anniversary Editions
Old 09-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Tim2013
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

RaggTopp is what I use on the top. 303 products on the interior and Griots Garage products on the exterior. Tim

Last edited by Tim2013; 09-22-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Soap and water and long-handled brush. Same stuff you wash your car with.

It's the sealing or fabric guard that is the most important step.

Let the top dry for a good day. Then spray whatever fabric guard you want - Ragg Top, 303.

But any cleaner is a crock. Soap and water works fine. It's the coating after that it is important.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning products for convertible top

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning products for convertible top