Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Are most "waxes" today pretty good and fairly equal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:14 AM
sixdogs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are most "waxes" today pretty good and fairly equal?

I spent hours searching "wax" and "cleaner" and "polish" threads in search of what to use and come to the conclusion that the purists prefer a Zaino or synthetic similar while the balance of waxes are generally fairly equal. The same could be said of other cleaner-waxes, cleaners or detail sprays within their product categories. Is this a fair statement?
My search started because i wanted to find products to use that were well-regarded BUT I could buy locally. I'm 58 with a lot of cars, trucks and activities and don't want to devote the mental energy to mail order, multi-stp processes or debating brand names. I understand preparation is the key to a good wax job.
After searching I have seen some strongly favor one product over another while the other favor the first product over the second. Sure, a lot of folks like Zaino but I'm not going to buy it unless it's local.
I now suspect most cleaners are fairly equal as are waxes, etc while the synthetic waxes are fairly equal--between brands--as well.
So, I could buy one brand for a cleaner-wax to start, use their carnuba or whatever next and their detail along the way and the results would be pretty cose to the next guy other than the Zainos or whatever?
Would all of this be reasonably correct?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Cole
Pro

They are NOT all equal. There are some good products available at auto stores. Look at the Duragloss line for a sealant based system and Collinite for a wax based system.

Most of the WalMart items will work pretty well with short protection cycle so if you like to wax often, help yourself.

Online try Zaino, Adams, Chemical Guys, Rejex. There are others but this is a reasonable list. If you have a finish problem such as swirls, mars, serious scratches. write about the specifics and get some recommendations.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

The wax to use, is really a matter of personal preference. The only difference I find between Zaino and Mequaires Cleaner Wax, is the price. Both look good if applied properly.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:24 PM
painexpert
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget wax.Use a synthetic like Rejex,Zaino,Liquid Glass.Never wax again.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:46 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, for a quick system, very good results, that you can buy locally, I have two suggestions:
  1. Meguiar's #6 cleaner wax to remove adherent dirt, tar, prepare paint when necessary. Then Meguiar's #26 carnauba - a really fantastic wax. Takes some effort to remove, as all waxes do. And will stain trim - so tape off your rubber and plastic. But will give fantastic results and always available at auto parts stores.
  2. Mother's Reflections line of product - sorry I have no experience, but you'll see many of the respected detailers in here who like Mother's.

I don't know of any synthetic sealant that will give results as good as meg's #26. For sure, Meguiar's NXT is NOT the way you should go.

Also, really think about stepping up to more sophisticated product lines that you can get from specialty shops over the web - it's no hassle. Just clickety click, hit ENTER, and the stuff arrives on your door in 3 days. Easier than driving to NAPA or Autozone and dealing with traffic.

EDIT - what I meant above is that "I don't know any 'locally available' synthetic sealant that will give results as good as meg's #26". But several sealants available on the web will equal the appearance, yet give HUGE benefits in ease of application, and durability.

Last edited by bugman; 07-30-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Waxes, carnuaba and synthetic, can be very different from one another. Boutique (high end) internet offerings use the best quality ingredients and are designed for the enthusiasts. While these cost more, they are use far more concentrated and can go quite a ways longer than a traditional store bought product. You will also notice you need more products as each product is designed to specialize in its task.

Most mass produced price point products are designed with a store shelve cost in mind. So lets say item "EO" is on shelve for 7.99. This product offers it cleans, polishes, and protects in one step. Do you really want to know what was used , to make a product that likely cost 2.50 in bulk before advertising. I can tell you it also doesnt do every step well it likely is more like mediocre.

If you really want an AIO type product, and willing to venture outside of Wallmart. I suggest Klasse AIO, Zaino AIO, Pinnacles XMT 360 or Optimums Poly-seal. Each of these will blow away the store bought stuff, will offer months of use, and not break the bank while ordering and shipping to your home. If you want the best of the best, and willing to spend a little more, I highly suggest a kit from any of the forum vendors. (Autogeek, Zaino, Adams)
Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default just tried

meguiars NXT tech wax..................WOW! getting rid of everything else...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:58 AM
Ticman
Intermediate

To answer your question Yes. I would stick to one brand if you are using multiple products. Bugman's suggestion was very good about the Meg Cleaner Wax and #26 together. The Megs cleaner wax has been around for many many years and I believe is the number one selling wax.

I personally like the Meguiars NXT paste wax. A little goes a long way with it as well. I also use the Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer about every other wash. That stuff works really well and with Meguiars you never have to worry about compatibility.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:18 PM
Fighter
Advanced

They are not equal. Carnuaba and synthetic for example. I used different brands and now I am in love with Zaino. May be I will try something else, but it's not gonna happen soon
Old 08-03-2007, 09:38 PM
M321
Instructor

I don't know of any synthetic sealant that will give results as good as meg's #26. For sure, Meguiar's NXT is NOT the way you should go.

Why is that? I just bought NXT but didnt use it yet. If it really is that bad i will bring it back since the bottle hasnt been opened yet.Some people in this forum sais it was great.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

well, you know what? I would argue that most waxes and sealants available today will give you very good results. If you don't mind re-applying every 2 to 4 weeks, then yes , I think you could go into a NAPA or Autozone blindfolded and use whatever product you run into and do just fine.

I think what the serious car guy is doing is just learning to prep the paint properly ( more than 90% of the results are there), and then choosing specialty products that give you that last 5% of depth, shine, and durability that you canNOT get by shopping blindfolded.

Bottom line: it is very hard to find any LOUSY products these days. But it takes some skill and knowledge to produce the truly fantastic results, and specialty products are a key part of that.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 AM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I go to a lot of car shows, and I see people get excellent results with every product mentioned on the forum.
That being said, and without saying anything negative about anybody's choice of product, I have to tell you that find it unecesary to spend a fortune on car care products.
Every product I use on my car can be purchased at Kragen's, or K-Mart for that matter, and I have many 1st place plaques and trophies for my efforts. It does take some work, though, and I will admit that having a light colored car helps.
Use what works well for you, dont go thinking more $ equals less work, and you'll be pleased with the results.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:36 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Ticman
To answer your question Yes. I would stick to one brand if you are using multiple products. Bugman's suggestion was very good about the Meg Cleaner Wax and #26 together. The Megs cleaner wax has been around for many many years and I believe is the number one selling wax.

I personally like the Meguiars NXT paste wax. A little goes a long way with it as well. I also use the Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer about every other wash. That stuff works really well and with Meguiars you never have to worry about compatibility.

Get notified of new replies

To Are most "waxes" today pretty good and fairly equal?

Quick Reply: Are most "waxes" today pretty good and fairly equal?