Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Car Care Discussion
Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette Sponsored by
Auto Geek

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 07-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #1
olhausen

Default after using rubbing compound what do I use to protectct paint?

I used turtle wax rubbing compound the other day to get bird poop that was etched in my car wich worked realy good and did no damage but I don,t know much about this stuff so what would I put on may finish after using a mild or strong rubbing compound? wax? polish? or what and if I use that would IT be re sealing the clearcoat to where I could use the compound in the same place if needed
olhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
bretfraz
CF Senior Member

Send a message via MSN to bretfraz

A good coat of wax or polymer sealant will do the trick. If you have some stuff on hand, use that or pick up a fresh one at the store.

If you want to repolish the area, just use your paint polish or compound and don't worry about the wax as it will be removed during the polishing. You will need to reapply the wax when you are done compounding and polishing.
bretfraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
IAIA
CF Senior Member

Try not to use rubbing compound too much in the future. Does it look ok even in the sun? If you haven't tried yet, start with something gentler. If you buy off the shelf, any of the "swirl removers" or "polishes" made by Mothers, Meguiars, etc. would be a good start. Anything with "compound" in the name is scary, to me (even though the whole class of surface products could be considered compounds). Some of the "polishing compounds" can be more abrasive than you need.
IAIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 AM   #4
bugman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretfraz View Post
A good coat of wax or polymer sealant will do the trick. If you have some stuff on hand, use that or pick up a fresh one at the store.

If you want to repolish the area, just use your paint polish or compound and don't worry about the wax as it will be removed during the polishing. You will need to reapply the wax when you are done compounding and polishing.

Perfect I couldn't say it better, so I won't try.
bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:03 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Reload this Page after using rubbing compound what do I use to protectct paint?

Tags
bird, car, compound, damage, droppings, finish, paint, painting, polish, reshine, results, rubbing, shine, sun, turtlewax, wax