Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

touchup 123 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
Default touchup 123 questions

I've heard about this repair for a car with alot of road rash paint chips, which is my car. Hard to believe how many are there. What the hell did the previous owner drive through?
I checked out bugman's review, but still have some questions.Anyway, my questions are these:
#1 I've heard that the paint used dries REALLY FAST. How much working time do you have with it?
#2 Do you apply alot of the paint, or just small amounts to work a small area at a time( my front bumper has alot of chips, and so do the panels behind the rear wheel wells)
#3Did anyone have the paint dry too fast, and have a problem getting it off in the areas that were not chipped, and what did you do then to get the paint off?
#4 Any other advice from people who have used this stuff, and what problems did you have with it?
Thanks
Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Cole
Pro

Originally Posted by Ralphyboy
I've heard about this repair for a car with alot of road rash paint chips, which is my car. Hard to believe how many are there. What the hell did the previous owner drive through?
I checked out bugman's review, but still have some questions.Anyway, my questions are these:
#1 I've heard that the paint used dries REALLY FAST. How much working time do you have with it?
#2 Do you apply alot of the paint, or just small amounts to work a small area at a time( my front bumper has alot of chips, and so do the panels behind the rear wheel wells)
#3Did anyone have the paint dry too fast, and have a problem getting it off in the areas that were not chipped, and what did you do then to get the paint off?
#4 Any other advice from people who have used this stuff, and what problems did you have with it?
Thanks
!. You have plenty of time.

2. Experiment a bit. I found using a toothpick for really small spots worked well. Q-Tip for larger nicks. I had poor luck with applying it with an applicator and wiping off. Experiment a bit.

3. It comes off and will stay soft enough to remove for a day or two. You can apply excess and remove the excess easily for a couple of days.

4. I thought both it and the Langka system work pretty much as advertised. On my white car, the chips really "disappeared".
Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

You do have to move quickly. The stuff is pretty much dry in less than 5 minutes (I applied in febuary or march, in the cold - probably dries faster in the warm weather). Just put it where you need it - because you'll have to remove it from any place that is not a chip. So use as little as you can.

You remove excess product buy using their "FTC" final touch compound. this really is just a standard rubbing compound, which will "sand off" the excess product - it will remove anything that is not in the chips. So is you have applied lots of extra product , you've just given yourself a big hassle because you'll have to remove all that excess product with the FTC step.

All this being said, the entire process is easy, just a little bit of elbow grease required, but you can cover your entire nose of the car and be done in 30 - 45 minutes, a fraction of what you would take to do it the old way. plenty of pics at my web page: http://www.bugmanweb.com - click on "paint chip repair"

the instructions that come with the kit are very clear- follow them exactly. one other thing: the FTC step will leave you with some very superficial cobwebbing on the paint. Wait a few days , then go over the area lightly with a PC7424 to get rid of this.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 AM
kumayama
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I applied mine in temperatures in the high 70s with moderate humidity on a Black car. I found it dries really fast, so best to work in small areas (like a few square inches) at a time and try not to be to liberal in applying in areas not needed.

I too found that using toothpicks, a small artists brush, and even Q tips make for a more convenient application method when the chips are larger or more localized.

The FTC compound is very effective in removing the extra paint, but still it takes some effort.

I worked on my wifes black MB. I found that it was helpful to go back a week later and go over some of the spots again, which also allowed me to catch a few I missed earlier. I also found that it is easy to miss cleaning up some of the excess paint. Clean up is definitely easier with the FTC than most other products. I missed a couple of areas of excess paint and didn't worry about it too much because I was going to polish out the car with Mezerna. I did but neither clay nor the polishes did much to clean up these few streaks I missed, and I had to go back and remove them with the FTC, which worked fine even though the excess paint was now a couple of weeks old.

Overall, the 123 works great. I wasn't so happy with it at the time of application, thinking is didn't fill as much as I had hoped. But some of that is just a result of having just focused carefully on every chip. A second application, an overall polish and Zaino of the car, and it looks great--still not perfect, but to the casual eye it looks great. At least my wife is very pleased with the end result.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:29 AM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me preface this by saying I haven't used it yet, but just thought I'd mention... I just got my order after more than a month...(not sure if you need yours quickly). At first glance, the kit just looks like regular touchup paint, a bottle of polish and a few rags. I was expecting the paint to be in a little thicker consistency, like a compound or something.

It really looks like the application process is just wiping touchup paint into chips with a paper towel. Maybe that's a bit over-simplified, maybe not, but at least you'll have an idea of what you're getting.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by C4boy
Let me preface this by saying I haven't used it yet, but just thought I'd mention... I just got my order after more than a month...(not sure if you need yours quickly). At first glance, the kit just looks like regular touchup paint, a bottle of polish and a few rags. I was expecting the paint to be in a little thicker consistency, like a compound or something.

It really looks like the application process is just wiping touchup paint into chips with a paper towel. Maybe that's a bit over-simplified, maybe not, but at least you'll have an idea of what you're getting.
I remember seeing your post about how long it takes to get this product from the vendor. I'm not in a great rush to get it, so whenever it arrives is OK, as long as I do get it at some point.
By the way, my vette is Electron Blue. Would there be a problem with them matching a color like this? I know that I ordered touchup paint from GM, and they wanted my VIN#. The paint did match exactly though.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I honestly don't know and I haven't used 123 yet to see how well it matches my car. My guess is, if you supply the correct paint code most places should be able to get the color right. Though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't order this stuff again.

Get notified of new replies

To touchup 123 questions

Quick Reply: touchup 123 questions