Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Love Bug Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 PM
BlackVettesRBest
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love Bug Problems!

I need some help with getting a few lovebug spots off my car. The lovebugs themselves are gone; however, they have permanently etched themselves into my clear coat. I've dabbed the etch marks with black wax and a black "chipstick" thinking it would cover them up. This returned very minor improvements. Is there anything I can use that will smooth out the etch marks so they are not so noticeable. I have a buffer machine that I can use also. Any input is appreciated.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:24 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by BlackVettesRBest
I need some help with getting a few lovebug spots off my car. The lovebugs themselves are gone; however, they have permanently etched themselves into my clear coat. I've dabbed the etch marks with black wax and a black "chipstick" thinking it would cover them up. This returned very minor improvements. Is there anything I can use that will smooth out the etch marks so they are not so noticeable. I have a buffer machine that I can use also. Any input is appreciated.
First of all - black wax doesn't work on a clear coated surface. Have you tried clay bar and light swirl remover with your buffer? When you say buffer I am assuming that it is a random orbital/dual action as opposed to a rotary. If it is a rotary - unless you have experience with it, I wouldn't use it.

You might have to take your car to a body shop professional and have the nose wet sanded and professionally buffed out to remove it.

In the future - if you live in an area with a lot of those creatures, you might consider a "nose mask" or a bra. Good luck
Old 07-08-2007, 06:26 PM
fastvett
Burning Brakes

I use mothers cleaner/wax. worked well for me.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I saw "lovebugs" in your thread's title, I knew you lived in Florida! Those things have glue for guts. You need to scrub them off as soon as possible after they commit suicide on your Vette.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:48 PM
BlackVettesRBest
Pro

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
First of all - black wax doesn't work on a clear coated surface. Have you tried clay bar and light swirl remover with your buffer? When you say buffer I am assuming that it is a random orbital/dual action as opposed to a rotary. If it is a rotary - unless you have experience with it, I wouldn't use it.

You might have to take your car to a body shop professional and have the nose wet sanded and professionally buffed out to remove it.

In the future - if you live in an area with a lot of those creatures, you might consider a "nose mask" or a bra. Good luck
Yeah its just an orbital buffer. I haven't tried the clay bar yet.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:31 PM
robertp
Instructor

I wash them off everyday. It's a real pain but from what I've experienced it's the only way to keep them from damaging paint.
By the way we're neighbors, I'm in Old Myakka. Really small world!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:40 PM
dw99vette
Pro

Location: 15 miles south from the Raisin Capitol of the World Caifornia
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"3M Finess-it" with buffer, and wax after. I use it to buff scratches out of mine. I have used it on clear coat and single stage paint, just be carefull not to burn it. I use the sponge waffle pad to keep heat down.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 PM
BlackVettesRBest
Pro

Originally Posted by robertp
I wash them off everyday. It's a real pain but from what I've experienced it's the only way to keep them from damaging paint.
By the way we're neighbors, I'm in Old Myakka. Really small world!

Well it seems we are. I haven't seen any white Vettes around Sarasota, I'll have to keep my eye out for one.

dw99vette - I'll definitely look for the 3M Finess-it, thanks for the advice.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:42 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

When I was down to Florida on vacation in May the love bugs were terrible. I waited a few days to try to get them off of the paint. Mistake, I now have 3 spots where the clear coat is gone. WTH do you guys feed them things??
Old 07-08-2007, 10:06 PM
GaDoll
Burning Brakes

Cruise-In 11 Veteran

Paint it!

I feel your pain. Bought a black '99 from a guy in Tampa who didn't tell me about the bugs... ...we' had never heard of them......so, we got covered up in the drive back to ATL......peeled outta the car at midnight and hit the sack......next morning we washed, and washed, and washed, and got sicker and sicker.......those !@#$%^* were now part of the car......all the way past the clear coat. Nothing would get them out. Just made us sick.

So sorry for you.
Carol
Old 09-02-2007, 08:32 AM
ebk14
3rd Gear

Default Lovebugs

I'm not sure about what to do on the paint but I can tell you to not use dryer sheets to get lovebugs off. A lot of people say to use them but a friend of mine that's in paint and body told me that they are made of a plastic fiber, not cotton, so if you rub long enough or hard enough, it will rub through the clear coat.
I usually just get the LoveBug Wipes at the convenience store and make sure that I wipe off the lovebugs almost everytime I drive during May and September.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know what your talking about, went through that earlier this year with the love bugs on this '01. They leave little marks that you can see from angles. Nothing seemed to work, soap, soaking, detailer, claybar... I ended up having to use Zanio PC and my PC/DA buffer and go over the entire hood and fender that had the marks.

As mentioned above, 3M Finesse It but I think that would be if 3M Swirl Mark and Scratch Remover and a buffer didn't work bucause Finesse It is a lot more agressive product. Finesse It will do the job but if something a little agressive will work I'd prefer that option. 3M SMR can be picked up in most auto parts (3M 39009) but Finesse It you'll probably need to order online or find a local auto paint distributor (like FinishMasters) and it only comes in a fairly large bottle.

My preference though is the Zaino PC, it is extremely effective and produces a show car finish as well. Be sure to apply your preferred polish afterwards.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:14 PM
TNX ZORA
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default welcome to the club

My understanding is that if you can catch your fingernail in any part of a scratch or etching then it is permanent, as far as any hope of rubbing it out is concerned. My car has a few lovebug etchings too but I didn't let it happen so I don't let it worry me too much.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by moserbe
When I was down to Florida on vacation in May the love bugs were terrible. I waited a few days to try to get them off of the paint. Mistake, I now have 3 spots where the clear coat is gone. WTH do you guys feed them things??
Mustangs of Course!
Old 09-02-2007, 01:44 PM
1998vert
Intermediate

Man I hate lovebugs. My solution is I don't drive my car in May or September! That seems to be the peak here in north Florida. Otherwise, you wash the nose every single day without fail.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:57 PM
vetterlatethannever
Race Director

Those bugs are teh suck, we have 'em here in Texas too.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:24 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They have to be washed off immediately. The acid in their bodies will eat thru the clear coat if you leave them on. When I lived in Fla.(Clermont for 4 years) I found a product at a local car store that had a name like Love Bug Off or something similar. It worked well.

Get notified of new replies

To Love Bug Problems!

Old 09-02-2007, 04:38 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I live in the Mobile, Alabama area and we have Love Bugs terribly in May and September. This year they are not as bad as usual because of the drought. They breed in rotting vegetation like grass clippings and leaves.
I have a GM bra for my Vette so I just put a good coat of wax on the nose and don't buff it and then install the Bra. The Bra protects the nose from the bugs and the wax protects the nose from the bra. Be sure to use a wax that has Carnuba(sp) in it as it will wipe right off even months later. Be sure to keep them off your side mirrors, too.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hard to believe that the love bugs are back already. This past spring was the worst I have ever seen. Here's to a fast Sepember!
Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 PM
lytspeed1
Instructor

After being in the "touch up " buisness for 20 years I can tell you that there is nothing short of painting your front bumper that will make those little splatterd carcuses go away once the damage is done........"lovebugs"....kinda a contradiction in terms,have a large percentage of acidity to their systems thus the damage.The best thing to do when you see that you have a mass suicide of them on your bumper, hood ,or mirrors is hydrate them with mild degreaser, water or suds,let it set!...This lets the now deceased bug rehydrate and thus can be washed off.Any left overs can be clayed then rewaxIt usually takes several days in the sun for bugs to do perm damage so get them off ASAP!

Quick Reply: Love Bug Problems!