Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Engine Degreasing

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:37 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Default Engine Degreasing

I'd never steam clean the engine compartment (would I?), but what is recommended to clean out some small areas where I have with some greasy-looking black dust? I was thinking about spraying small amounts of simple green or Castrol degreaser, and just rinsing with a water pistol to keep it limited. What areas do I steer clear of with the water....or should I just use a hundred or so Q-tips and get in there inch-by-inch?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

a good APC, a soft tooth brush, some water, and a couple ok towels. Spray, agitate, wash down, and wipe clean. Cover with a good AIO like Klasse or XMT360 as possible.

water should never go under the engine covers (coils) and near the air-intake. Tread lightly a spray bottle is a better choice over running water.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:15 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Start the engine, keep it running.
spray dirty areas with simple green.
use various brushes to get into tight areas (the EZ Detail brush is excellent for this).
scrub
then rinse with hose on very light mist.
I just avoid the battery, avoid the alternator (thing with a belt on it, on the driver's side, near the front of the car).

I use a very light mist - just enough to wash away the simple green. If the engine starts to sputter or stall -- that's a good indication that you're getting water somewhere that it shouldn't be.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:09 PM
daddoe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to cover my alternator with a big zip lock baggie to keep the water out. Some people like to cover it with aluminum foil. I mix a 50/50 solution of Simple Green to water and spray it on the area to be cleaned. After it sits for about 3 min. I do a little cleaning with a brush and soft sponge. I mist the engine to rinse of the solution and complete the job with a finishing product to make the engine look clean and shiny.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:24 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by daddoe
I like to cover my alternator with a big zip lock baggie to keep the water out. Some people like to cover it with aluminum foil. I mix a 50/50 solution of Simple Green to water and spray it on the area to be cleaned. After it sits for about 3 min. I do a little cleaning with a brush and soft sponge. I mist the engine to rinse of the solution and complete the job with a finishing product to make the engine look clean and shiny.
So the alternator is the only part I need to be careful of, as long as I don't spray water underneat the engine covers? I thought I needed to be careful of the distributor, too. HAhahahaha. Just kidding.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 PM
daddoe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IAIA
So the alternator is the only part I need to be careful of, as long as I don't spray water underneat the engine covers? I thought I needed to be careful of the distributor, too. HAhahahaha. Just kidding.
I know what you mean, that's why I clean and then run my engine before I begin rinsing and why I don't get too crazy with flooding the compartment. I try avoid the battery area, alternator and "mist" off the cleaning solution.

Adams site has some pretty good tips on engine cleaning at:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_5.aspx
Old 07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Dale@Adams
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daddoe
I know what you mean, that's why I clean and then run my engine before I begin rinsing and why I don't get too crazy with flooding the compartment. I try avoid the battery area, alternator and "mist" off the cleaning solution.

Adams site has some pretty good tips on engine cleaning at:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_5.aspx
Nicely explained and thanks for putting up the link !!!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:52 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yes - DALE : thanks for the fantastic videos at the Adamspolished web site. A great resource for us all
Old 07-10-2007, 03:12 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Yes, thanks very much for posting that. Helpful.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Dale@Adams
Advanced

Originally Posted by bugman
oh yes - DALE : thanks for the fantastic videos at the Adamspolished web site. A great resource for us all
Thanks bugman and IAIA for the kind words !!! Evil_C5 has been working hard to get the NEW videos up and running on the site.

Thanks again,

-Dale
Old 07-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Bandit1
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by IAIA
You may want to cover the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the cooling fan motors also. Just cover them like you would for the alternator. Definitely not good places to inject water.

Last edited by Bandit1; 07-10-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM
jzhawk
Burning Brakes

Start the engine, keep it running.
spray dirty areas with simple green.
use various brushes to get into tight areas (the EZ Detail brush is excellent for this).
scrub
then rinse with hose on very light mist.
I just avoid the battery, avoid the alternator (thing with a belt on it, on the driver's side, near the front of the car).

I use a very light mist - just enough to wash away the simple green. If the engine starts to sputter or stall -- that's a good indication that you're getting water somewhere that it shouldn't be.
This has always worked for me.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bandit1
You may want to cover the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and the cooling fan motors also. Just cover them like you would for the alternator. Definitely not good places to inject water.
Um....although I've done a lot of automotive repair including rebuilding an engine, I don't know where my TPS is. I imagine it's near the throttle itself?

....a little help?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Black-Tie
Advanced

It's on the throttle body on the passenger side with a two wire connector going to it. It is opposite the motor that sits on the drivers side of the TB.
It has two small screws that attach it to the TB.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 PM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default New way to rinse?

I’m new to this section, but a friend of mine uses very diluted simple green and some brushes and rags. To rinse, he uses one of those plastic pump tanks one would use to spay bug killer or weed killer. Works great and the water (distilled) only goes where he wants it to.

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 PM
KARLDDS82
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Degreasing

Quick Reply: Engine Degreasing