Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Any swirl remover before Zaino?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2001, 10:43 AM
catphish
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any swirl remover before Zaino?

I know Z-5 is for "removing swirls" but doesn't it, more accurately, cover them up? Has anybody tried using swirl remover before starting with z-1?
Thanks
Dugan
Old 10-23-2001, 10:57 AM
jerryv
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Any swirl remover before Zaino? (catphish)

Zaino doesn't work magic. You should get your car looking its absolute best before you apply any Zaino. Z5 will fill minor swirl marks, but significant paint blemishes or problems should be dealt with first.
Old 10-23-2001, 12:41 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Z-5 is a filler, very durable, will not wash off like a glaze.

98% of all cars have swirl marks and fine scratches including brand new cars.

Why? Because of dealer prepping and using an abrasive polish combined with the
wrong towels and incorrect washing of towels. Abrasives and Polyester in towels are
the most common causes of swirl marks and fine scratches, especially on brand new
paint finishes. The dealer is the first person to start the swirl process on a paint
finish.

Here's a way to check if your paint has swirls or scratches. Look at your paint finish
under fluorescent lighting. This will let you see every mark on the paint surface.
Then you be the judge.

Store bought Swirl removers are just a temporary illusion and a Band-Aid
approach to the problem.....

I am totally against using abrasives on paint finishes. Abrasives, no matter how fine,
create new scratches, they should be avoided and only used when absolutely
necessary. And then only by a trained professional. The clear-coat on today's paint
finishes is very thin and abrasive products will thin it even further and hurt it, in
the long run creating many more swirl marks and fine scratches.

All swirl removers contain abrasives and are loaded with silicone oils and other oils.

Zaino Show Car Polish contains no Abrasives or Silicone oils. Although abrasives
remove scratches they create new scratches and swirls and they thin out the
clear-coat. Silicone oil camouflages swirls and scratches, temporarily, as soon as the
oil washes away or evaporates the swirls are visible again. Kinda a Catch-22. Z-5
fills swirls and scratches and does not create any new scratches. Because Z-5
durability is so high and will not wash away. The scratches will stay filled. That's
the hot ticket to a flawless paint finish.

The Z-5 is applied, as per directions, and will fill swirls and scratches in stages. One
to three coats of Z-5 depending on the amount and degree of scratches. Z-2 should
always be the last coat of polish on the car. Z-2 has higher optics than Z-5. You can
go from Z-2 to Z-5 and back to Z-2 anytime you like. Always use Z-6 "Gloss
Enhancer spray between each and ever coat of Z-5 or Z-2.

With deeper swirls and fine scratches sometimes the use of an mild abrasive product
like 3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009 is necessary.. I try
to avoid the use of abrasives and would try my best with Z5, to see if it will correct
the problem. However if you don't see a visible difference after 1 or 2 coats of Z-5.
Waiting 6 to 24 hours between coats of Z-5... Then you need to use the 3M Foam
Polishing Pad Glaze Swirl Mark Remover #39009... see following tips...

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By hand:
Simply apply a small amount (about the size of a quarter) to a cotton diaper or piece
of cotton towel and rub back and forth into about a 1'X 1' section using light to
medium pressure until it starts to dry out. Then take a second towel and lightly rub
back and forth until the polish residue disappears and the gloss comes up. If there
are still some swirls visible you can repeat this step until they are minimal. I prefer
using a less aggressive product a couple times instead of using a more aggressive
product once. After you have done the entire car you can Dawn wash and reapply
your favorite wax/polish or Zaino Z-1 and Z-5/Z-2.

3M Foam Polishing Pad Glaze use By orbital:

Use a 100% cotton bonnet or a foam bonnet and apply the polish in a thin lined
growing circle starting from the center and spacing the growing line about an inch
from the last round all the way to the edge. Place the bonnet flat on a panel and
activate the polisher and begin working the entire panel using light to medium
pressure. When you have worked the panel thoroughly then take a clean towel and
wipe the residue off in a back and forth motion using light pressure. Then simply
move to the next section. When the entire car is done do a Dawn wash and Zaino.

DO NOT ever use cotton T-shirts on your car. They contain polyester and will cause
swirl marks and scratch your paint finish. Use my #314 applicator pad for applying
my polish. Read my Tips & Tricks sheet. http://www.zainobros.com

Towels must be 100% Made in USA. Name Brand(Cannon or Fieldcrest Towels).
These towels are always 100% Cotton. Most other Brand name towels I've analyzed
are not 100% Cotton but a blend of cotton and polyester. The cotton material is
from overseas and is not federally regulated. Even though they say 100% Cotton
they are not.

You must use only white. Not colored towels.....Colored towels are not to be used
because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your
towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice. Do not use Powdered
detergent, Bleach or any type of Fabric softener. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice
to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages(borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage
contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish.
The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular
heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the
towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be
replaced.

I don't like sponges natural or synthetic, they all can scratch...

Another great tip is to use a Toro 210mph Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in
about 5 minutes.... without even touching the paint surface....
Old 10-23-2001, 10:04 PM
autolover
Instructor

Default Re: Any swirl remover before Zaino? (KLO)

I have a black 2002 ZO6. I have just finished applying two layers of Z2. The results are unbelievable. It is like looking into a mirror. I don't like the results of the Z6 however. It seems to smear and show up on black paint. I see some swirls when looking at the paint in direct sunlight, so I am going to get some Z5, however I am considering skipping the Z6. I use nothing but Charisma towels and an Absorber.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:41 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Default Re: Any swirl remover before Zaino? (autolover)

I have a black 2002 ZO6. I have just finished applying two layers of Z2. The results are unbelievable. It is like looking into a mirror. I don't like the results of the Z6 however. It seems to smear and show up on black paint. I see some swirls when looking at the paint in direct sunlight, so I am going to get some Z5, however I am considering skipping the Z6. I use nothing but Charisma towels and an Absorber.
Z-6 is Zaino's largest selling product, I sell more of it and I am sure all distributors sell more of it than any other product.

You are just using too much Z-6 at one time, one small mist is enough for 1/4 to 1/2 say a hood area. Just mist the panel, make a couple wipes with the clean Charisma towel to evenly spread the Z-6 around like a fine film, flip the towel over and make another couple swipes, the Z-6 is heat activated as you make your final swipes you will see the Z-6 kinda evaporate on the surface leaving a perfect finish. Many make the mistake of dousing the entire panel at once, you can only work a few square feet at one time. Once you get the hang of Z-6, is WILL be your favorite Zaino product, I have people tell me they are addicted to Z-6 like a drug.
Old 10-24-2001, 08:53 AM
stevenll
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Autolover, try cutting Z-6 with water. I use a 50/50 mix. I never could get a light enough spray with the full strength product and ended up with a less than perfect shine. Others will advise you against diluting Z-6, but the mix has worked for me. Give it a try.
Old 10-24-2001, 11:30 AM
catphish
Intermediate

Default Re: Any swirl remover before Zaino? (stevenll)

I use Z-6 as topping for Ice cream. yummy stuff!

seriously though, I love z-6, but I hate the spray bottle. Maybe I got a bad one, but it is not possible to get a "fine mist" with. I switched it into a tiny spray bottle that works a lot better.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:04 PM
RDVT4ME
Burning Brakes

KLO

Thanks for some great tips. I just started using Zaino on my 02 torch red vette. My question is how do I know how thick to put the Z2 on. Sometimes it seems as if the Z2 is not completely covering the surface, so I go over the surface a number of times. Is that OK, or am I doing damage?

So far I really like this stuff. The car is smooth as glass.
Old 10-24-2001, 06:55 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Default Re: Any swirl remover before Zaino? (RWD)

No need to cover multiple times on one coat, you should get 12 to 16 coats from a bottle of Z-2, so if you are using more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an oz on each coat you are using too much.
Old 10-24-2001, 07:19 PM
shaady
Burning Brakes

I use Z-6 as topping for Ice cream. yummy stuff!

seriously though, I love z-6, but I hate the spray bottle. Maybe I got a bad one, but it is not possible to get a "fine mist" with. I switched it into a tiny spray bottle that works a lot better.
I too had this problem the first couple of times using Z6. Then I turned the off/stream/spray **** ever so slightly from the OFF position and...woila...fine mist.

Someone should make a Zaino Tips & Tricks document. I've read everything on Zainobros.com and the Forum, but most lessons came via trial and error. I would guess 90% of unsatisfied customers were misapplying the product.

[Modified by shaady, 4:19 PM 10/24/2001]
Old 10-24-2001, 07:20 PM
shaady
Burning Brakes

Also, I second the use of 3M products for scratch removal. Works miracles.

Get notified of new replies

To Any swirl remover before Zaino?

Quick Reply: Any swirl remover before Zaino?