Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Pinnacle vs 3m vs Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM
cujo200231
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinnacle vs 3m vs Zaino

I posted this in the general section also, but want all the advice possible

I just bought a c6 and it is getting shipped from Chicago to Buffalo NY, so the car will probably be a mess when I get it. On my C5, I used 3m Perfect it because that is what they use at my cousins body/detail shop. I am happy with it, but being a Black C6, I want that rediculous shine "wet look". I hear alot about Zaino on here, so that is definately in consideration. Has anyone used all 3? I get the 3m for free at the bodyshop which is a plus; the Zaino is not rediculously priced for the package, but the Pinnacle is 80 bucks for 8 oz, which I think is alot for that amount. But may be worth it if it is the best. I don't know anyone that has used 3m besides me so I look forward to hearing the replies
Old 04-13-2007, 09:18 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Before you apply anything, you should prep the paint to make sure it looks the best it can. The better the paint looks before applying a product, the better it will look after.

As for which product to use, it all depends on you and your car. Is it going to be a garage queen, a daily driver, something in between ?

I have all 3 products you listed and for *MY* needs I would rank them
1. Zaino
2. Pinnacle
3. 3M

Zaino is a polymer and Pinnacle is a carnauba wax. We're talking apples and oranges here. They also look a bit different when applied so you'll have to decide which look you prefer.

As a side note, the Pinnacle isn't really that expensive if you read up on it. They state you should get about 30 applications out of one jar so that brings the cost of application down to around 2.60. That's not bad at all.

I went with Zaino because I enjoy the great look and the outstanding durability. I can wash my car week after week and it still looks like it was just applied. Some guys prefer waxing every month or so or have a garage queen so they don't need durability. It just depends on what you're looking for.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:27 AM
cujo200231
Instructor

It is a car mainly for weekends. I put about 3k a year on my sportscars. I am looking for that ultimate reflective shine. You say that carnuba and sealants look different on paint, but how? What would you suggest for me? I do drive it, but only on sunny days.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 AM
ripen ls6
Racer

Originally Posted by cujo200231
It is a car mainly for weekends. I put about 3k a year on my sportscars. I am looking for that ultimate reflective shine. You say that carnuba and sealants look different on paint, but how? What would you suggest for me? I do drive it, but only on sunny days.
Meguiars # 7 topped with Pinnacle is what you want. Try that you'll be happy!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:00 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

no one can tell you what you'll like. You really need to try each and make your own choice. What I will tell you is we offer a nice forum discount, and a no haggle return policy. I know where I would start ... and heck we also carry 3M.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:36 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
no one can tell you what you'll like. You really need to try each and make your own choice. What I will tell you is we offer a nice forum discount, and a no haggle return policy. I know where I would start ... and heck we also carry 3M.
I just Rejexed my car by hand today. It's first time at the beauty shop.

Now that the Rejex is on, tomorrow, can I put a glaze on top of the Rejex, for an even better, deeper shine? I do have 3M's Imperial Glaze ShowCar (from my 350Z days). Your thoughts please. Or should I not waste my time now and just wait until I get a PC , etc.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:15 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Before you apply anything, you should prep the paint to make sure it looks the best it can. The better the paint looks before applying a product, the better it will look after.

As for which product to use, it all depends on you and your car. Is it going to be a garage queen, a daily driver, something in between ?

I have all 3 products you listed and for *MY* needs I would rank them
1. Zaino
2. Pinnacle
3. 3M

Zaino is a polymer and Pinnacle is a carnauba wax. We're talking apples and oranges here. They also look a bit different when applied so you'll have to decide which look you prefer.

As a side note, the Pinnacle isn't really that expensive if you read up on it. They state you should get about 30 applications out of one jar so that brings the cost of application down to around 2.60. That's not bad at all.

I went with Zaino because I enjoy the great look and the outstanding durability. I can wash my car week after week and it still looks like it was just applied. Some guys prefer waxing every month or so or have a garage queen so they don't need durability. It just depends on what you're looking for.

I too went with the Zaino due to its incredible looks and durability. I found all three to be about the same amount of work so that is not an issue.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Anthony Orosco
Instructor

Originally Posted by GotVett?

Now that the Rejex is on, tomorrow, can I put a glaze on top of the Rejex, for an even better, deeper shine? I do have 3M's Imperial Glaze ShowCar (from my 350Z days). Your thoughts please. Or should I not waste my time now and just wait until I get a PC , etc.

Thanks.
You want to apply a glaze on top of your sealed paint? That's an odd combo as most times a glaze is laid down first and then a sealant, either polymer or carnauba is applied on top.

Polymers though can have an issue with oily glazes and I just plain hate glazes because they're not worth the effort.

If you prep your paint properly then a glaze is not needed. Just go to your paint sealant and enjoy.

Anthony
Old 04-13-2007, 09:16 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by Anthony Orosco
You want to apply a glaze on top of your sealed paint? That's an odd combo as most times a glaze is laid down first and then a sealant, either polymer or carnauba is applied on top.

Polymers though can have an issue with oily glazes and I just plain hate glazes because they're not worth the effort.

If you prep your paint properly then a glaze is not needed. Just go to your paint sealant and enjoy.

Anthony
Thanks Anthony.

Thought someone said it's ok to apply on top of Rejex.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by GotVett?

Thanks.
As Anthony offered, a true glaze has no protection properties. Sure it will look amazingly wet, but it will wash off at first wash. If you feel that Rejex is sterile or just missing something (dont worry alot of us still feel that in general paint sealants just dont offer depth and wetness) then consider topping with a pure carnauba. Just make sure the Rejex had around 12 hours to fully cure and provide some addtl durability.

As for the PC, I dont use it for glazes nor waxes. Hand application only. Use the PC to polish your paint and remove any oxidation and swirls. (great tool)
Old 04-14-2007, 10:56 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
As Anthony offered, a true glaze has no protection properties. Sure it will look amazingly wet, but it will wash off at first wash. If you feel that Rejex is sterile or just missing something (dont worry alot of us still feel that in general paint sealants just dont offer depth and wetness) then consider topping with a pure carnauba. Just make sure the Rejex had around 12 hours to fully cure and provide some addtl durability.

As for the PC, I dont use it for glazes nor waxes. Hand application only. Use the PC to polish your paint and remove any oxidation and swirls. (great tool)
Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I used Zaino on my DD "black" and it looks great! I went that way because I don't want to do anymore than was it. I use PS paste on the C6 and its great as well, I think it shines a little more. However it has to be applied more often than Zaino. I don't mind waxing my vette at all and the extra work is worth the results. Hope this helps
Old 04-16-2007, 02:20 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ripen ls6
Meguiars # 7 topped with Pinnacle is what you want. Try that you'll be happy!

I like that idea.
Even less expensive - try this:
3M imperial hand glaze, topped with meguiar's #26 carnauba.

that will cost you next to nothing.

Then one week, give it a go with Zaino Z5Pro, topped with Z8

This is truly a showdown of two fantastic finishes. I love both, but I was converted to Zaino because in my opinion it gave a slight edge in looks, and a HUGE advantage in application, removal, absence of stained trim, and durability. Try it yourself.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Cruise-In VII Veteran

Love the Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax...

Old 04-16-2007, 03:27 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06-JIM
Love the Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax...

For the life of me, I can't figure out why

Get notified of new replies

To Pinnacle vs 3m vs Zaino

Quick Reply: Pinnacle vs 3m vs Zaino