Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

how soon can you 3m new paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 09:37 AM
rbridges
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how soon can you 3m new paint?

I just had my front bumper repainted-looks great except for a swirl mark on the right side. It will be a simple matter w/the 3m, but how soon can it be applied. I assume right away, but thought I'd ask.
Old 09-21-2001, 12:08 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: how soon can you 3m new paint? (rbridges)

rbridges -

Please do not assume that "fresh" paint can have an abrasive/sealant/wax, etc. applied right away. The rule of thumb is to wait 30 days before touching the panel with anything;the paint needs time to cure.

This past Spring I had a louver panel replaced and did nothing for 30 days thereafter but gently wash it. No sealant, no wax. Not only have I read about this in several sources, but it was also advised by the repair shop at the time the work was done to my car.

Better safe than sorry.
Old 09-22-2001, 02:37 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: how soon can you 3m new paint? (rbridges)

I just painted my car a week ago. Half gallon of sealer 2 gal of color and 2 gallons of clear. I wet sand 1000,1500,2000 then i used a schiliegal 590 buffing pad with 3m rubing compound. then went with a meg w9000 foam pad with 3m dark foming pad compound. That is 4.5 gallons of paint and sealer. just dont you a wax for one month. if you do the thing will FOG on you then you will have to wet sand over.I was told by a friend that does hi end car that he likes to open the paint up in 24hrs. SAND that way there is no sovent trapping.

Get notified of new replies

To how soon can you 3m new paint?

Quick Reply: how soon can you 3m new paint?