Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Soft clearcoat any tricks to shine it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:26 PM
jonszr1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft clearcoat any tricks to shine it?

Thanx for helping on my over spray. the clear seems soft. the car was repainted 2 years ago((2nd z) and if you breath on it it scratches i had the guys at Mothers tell me it was soft 11/2 yrs ago . Suggested that i noyt wax it and it might harden . well ive waited and still seem soft Do i clor sand it then try to buff it out ..... any ideas?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:04 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Touch it as little as possible. Refine your washing/drying/waxing techniques and supplies.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:41 PM
jonszr1
Racer

what would you suggest i do. Now i hit the self spay wash to get off dirt then go home and wash the car meguires soap and micro fiber wash mitt . the bucket has a screen. then dry it with a leaf blower. Wax I use is liquid glass. Im very open to any suggestions . would color sanding using 2000-3000 then polishing help .?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Washing --- use a foam gun when possible to presoak car. Use very soft mitts and use two buckets for washing or one foam gun/one bucket. Make sure to consistently change water in bucket to wash out mitt.

Drying ---get yourself a good soft microfiber drying towel. Consider blowing the finish with a leaf blower first. Then leave a little dampness on car and finish with towel, but not before spritzing each panel with a good qd'er (Quikshine, Crystal Mist, Spray/Shine) before wiping. It will provide lubrication to slide versus grind on paint.

Polishing -- use a very light pad and a very light abrasive "finishing" polish first. Only move to more abrasive pads/polishes as needed. Remove the scratching carefully and then use the techniques above to reduce further issues.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:04 PM
jonszr1
Racer

thanx for the advice. I have a portor cable that I bought about a year ago. , but it seemed. to really wobble. I don't have pads for it anymore. what are the best pads -compounds and backing plate to get and who do i get them from.Is the poliswher suppose to wobble alot . it sure is hard to hold on to.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

wow - it really shouldn't wobble at all. I often just hold mine with one hand - very easy to manage. You might want to try a different counterweight. The PC 7336 comes with a 6-inch counterweight I believe, larger than the one in the 7424. That might help you.

For pads -- just get the Wolfgang (also called Lake Country) pad kit at autogeek. You'll get everything you need there. Lake Country has been king of the hill for a long time, now challenged by "The Edge" pads that you'll also see at the Geek. Haven't tried the Edge, so I cannot recommend, but have read a few favorable reviews.

I'd still go with Lake Country because their color codes are so well known, that when you're learning, it's a real advantage to "speak the same language" as the pros. If you start asking questions about green and blue pads in here, not too many people will know what the heck you're talking about. But if you use LC white, orange, yellow pads, you'll have thousands of guys who use the same pads and can give you help any time.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:42 AM
jonszr1
Racer

thanx again for all the help. do I use the 5in pads with the pc.? are there certain backing plates that are better. I have about 500 i have set aside for polishes compounds pad etc . Any one want to help me spend my money so I can get the best items I can for my budget. Do I invest in a rotary also. I have a 3 in air polisher for the small spots . Its just there is so many different Type of things I get lost in the maise. It could just be flash backs from my ole hippy days. YES I'm that old
Old 11-05-2006, 02:33 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are two different counter-weights, which are clearly marked to indicate use with either the 5-inch, or 6-inch backing pad. Therefore with a 6-inch backing pad for polishing you should use the 6-inch, 0.140 oz. counterweight (PN 699933) (I also feel this counter weight cuts down on vibration whatever size pad is utilized) The vibrations that are generated at higher speeds when using a 5-inch weight and a 6-inch pad are unacceptable for most people

A Porter-Cable company representative confirms that the increased vibrations can lead to bearing damage within the PC's drive assembly. The only exception is when using the 6-inch foam-polishing pad (PN 54745) supplied with the machine. Due to its lightweight and the small-diameter backing pad used (included with pad), it can be used with either the 5-inch pad or the 6-inch pad counterweight.

A fibreboard washer also comes with the machine; it is intended to fit between the backing pad and the spindle, so that it gives additional clearance between the pad and unit so getting the wrench in between them is easier. Some PCs come with this washer pre-installed on the backing pad, but often it's loose in a plastic bag.

Always use a smaller sized Velcro backing plate then the Velcro foam pad you are using (i.e. a 6-inch Velcro backing plate and a 6.5-inch Velcro foam pad) Never use a Velcro backing plate that is larger then the Velcro backed foam pad as the backing plate will damage / scratch the paintwork.

Flexible Backing Plates:
To centre a foam pad on the PC, set it upside down with the Velcro backing plate facing up (this is easier if the side handle is attached). Using the tips of your fingers as spacers against the edges of the backing plate, you can centre it with near perfection most of the time.

Quality foam pads used for detailing are made from specially engineered European foam, a blend of thermally reticulated polyurethane foam with a 99% open cell structure, created specifically for compounding, polishing and finishing. This foam allows air to circulate through the pad to reduce heat build-up, so these foam pads do not require a ventilated backing plate

Foam pads (Lake County Mfg) are available in various sizes from 3.5 – 8.0-inch diameter, but I have found that for the application of a polish the optimum size of foam pad for whole panel (i.e. hood, trunk, fender, etc.) is 6 to 6.5- inches, with an effective pad contact diameter of 5.5 to 6.25- inches.

For the ‘spot-repair’ of blemishes on a specific blemish or paint defect, I prefer working with a 4- inch pad. This pad size allows me to focus on just the problem area and not affect the surrounding paint.

Hope this helps an old hippy, from another really old hippy

Knowledge - [We know a subject] [We know where to find information on it] the most highly valued; [knowledge that is both held and shared]
Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 PM
jonszr1
Racer

thanx , I'll ckit out soon as I'm done here. I didn't get a backing plate or washer with mine. so now what do i buy the lake pads ? also what products do I getto polish after color sanding With1500. Id like a little guidence so I don't blow my cash on the wrong stuff. my budget is 500. IIs that enough to at least get started ? help !!!!!! i don't know what to buy. Thanx again for all your help . It sure nice to see so uch kindness for an ole ROOKIE

Get notified of new replies

To Soft clearcoat any tricks to shine it?

Quick Reply: Soft clearcoat any tricks to shine it?