Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Shiny stuff on the tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 AM
boomerangj
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Shiny stuff on the tires?

I was scanning the C6 ads in this forum yesterday and one of the advertisers had made a point of stating that he had never used the "shiny stuff" on the tires of his meticulously maintained car.

I am curious about this. What is the downside of treating the tires with products that make them shiny?

Any enlightenment on this?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Iroc-Z89
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know honestly,, I always just thought it was oil... Though if it has alcohols and pentrating oils in the Tire Shine then that could compromise the tire..

I really wouldn't worry about it
Old 11-01-2006, 08:33 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

My personal opinion is that it discolors the tires and makes the car look a little cheesey. Not to mention the "sling" factor. Therefore, I don't use it on my Corvette.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Iroc-Z89
Instructor

Actually I have noticed that.. It never did it on my camaro, but I used it on my Durango once and it turned the tires brown in the sunlight..

Sling factor was never a problem.. but then again i have a different body style than a vette.. So I dont notice it..
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

As far as appearance, it's strictly a personal thing. But I think the guy is nuts if he thinks it makes some kind of functional difference in the life or quality of the tire.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 AM
Illinicane
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

I think tires look good with a very thin coat of armorall (or like type product), but not drenched in it. Just enough to make the tire colors look even and dark.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Iroc-Z89
Actually I have noticed that.. It never did it on my camaro, but I used it on my Durango once and it turned the tires brown in the sunlight..

Sling factor was never a problem.. but then again i have a different body style than a vette.. So I dont notice it..
I've been using "stuff" on my tires since before many people on this forum were born. I have found why some tires turn brown. It's because the tires were not washed before they were treated. A 50/50 mix of simple green and water will take the tire back to their natural state, then treat them. I think you will find this really works.

Last edited by jschindler; 11-01-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 AM
CPapin
Advanced

Try the new DuPont Teflon Tire Shine. I used it and it offeres a happy medium between the really shiny products and the stock new tire look. As with any tire shine, clean the tire before you apply and it helps reduce with the buildup and "sling" I switched to this product when I sold my 92 and got my 00 and I've received a lot of compliments about it. But of course, it is a vette and everyone comments on them!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:56 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CPapin
..... As with any tire shine, clean the tire before you apply and it helps reduce with the buildup and "sling" ......

This is another trick to treating tires.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Stoners makes a great tire shine.. makes em look new, not slick and doesn't sling with the tire prep first..SG works great
Old 11-01-2006, 09:08 AM
VERTBLK
Racer

Don't worry the tires will wear out before anything could happen.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jschindler
I've been using "stuff" on my tires since before many people on this forum were born. I have found why some tires turn brown. It's because the tires were not washed before they were treated. A 50/50 mix of simple green and water will take the tire back to their natural state, then treat them. I think you will find this really works.
Tires need to be clean, first. I like Meguiar's stuff, in general, but the best tire dressing was Castrol's--unfortunately, no longer made. I use Meg's Endurance now. Nice shine without being too glossy. Have to let it dry for several hours to minimize sling. Hot Shine adds a more high gloss look, but slings like a sob--even after 24 hours. So, if I use that it's with the expectation that I'm not going anwhere that day. Easy enough to wipe the 'sling' off with QD, but why should you have to? Never did with Castrol on my Trans Ams.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:04 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scrub them very clean.

Then I apply zaino Z-16 with a foam tire swipe. You can kind of work it in with the tire swipe. If you want more gloss try another coat.

It will not sling.
It will not turn your tires brown.
It will last.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:56 AM
ZSpeed
Racer

Adams VRT works very good on my tires- black, medium gloss, and kinda dries on so your tires don't turn into dust magnets. No sling either
Old 11-01-2006, 01:24 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Proper tire care is his issue.
I only apply a dressing to my tires about once very 4 to 6 weeks. I wash them at every wash, using a brush, and make sure I completely blow them dry. That is the biggest help. If you blow them dry, you don't get the fading of the dressing over time. No matter what dressing I choose to use, I let it sit for 30 minutes and then wipe the tire down with a clean, dry towel. No sling issues and no rediculous shine issues.

Todd
Old 11-01-2006, 01:42 PM
ZSpeed
Racer

About 7 years ago I was at a major tire store chain talking with a salesman and he told me that by using Armorall (popular at the time) you were weakening the strength of the rubber and prematurely causing dry rot.
These were high mileage tires and I was having warrenty concerns

I didn't listen to him but I think this relates to the first thread
Old 11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Stick with water-based dressings, and there's nothing to worry about.

Get notified of new replies

To Shiny stuff on the tires?

Old 11-01-2006, 10:09 PM
C6 Mayhem
Instructor

Lemon Pledge. Nice satin sheen and smells good too. Not kidding, try it.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:06 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerangj
I was scanning the C6 ads in this forum yesterday and one of the advertisers had made a point of stating that he had never used the "shiny stuff" on the tires of his meticulously maintained car.

I am curious about this. What is the downside of treating the tires with products that make them shiny?

Any enlightenment on this?

Thanks
Tyre Cleaner:
The most important thing you can do to protect the durability of vehicle tyres is to endure they are clean. For any type of protect ant to work well on rubber first remove any brake dust, road tar, grease and grime, wax and dead rubber from the surface to properly clean it. 3M Tire and Wheel cleaner quickly and safely clean the rubber tyres and helps tyre dressing and / or UVR protection (303™ Aerospace Protectant) durability. .
Leaving tyres rubber surfaces with a brilliant shine, cleaning the toughest scuffs and soil from sidewalls

Tyre Dressings:
a)Water based dressings- (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable, whereas silicone is not. (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™, also contains UV Radiation protection)

b)Silicone-based dressings- (usually a clear greasy liquid) that do not contain UV radiation protection and contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone is also not biodegradable. (Eagle One® Tire Shine Spray & Gel)

c)Application- spray a little dressing on sponge/applicator, spread evenly across the tyre surface, remove excess dressing and allow to dry before using the vehicle, if you prefer a matt finish wipe tyre with a cloth

Knowledge - [We know a subject] [We know where to find information on it] the most highly valued; [knowledge that is both held and shared]
Old 11-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Whiterock1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TOGWT
Tyre Cleaner:
The most important thing you can do to protect the durability of vehicle tyres is to endure they are clean. For any type of protect ant to work well on rubber first remove any brake dust, road tar, grease and grime, wax and dead rubber from the surface to properly clean it. 3M Tire and Wheel cleaner quickly and safely clean the rubber tyres and helps tyre dressing and / or UVR protection (303™ Aerospace Protectant) durability. .
Leaving tyres rubber surfaces with a brilliant shine, cleaning the toughest scuffs and soil from sidewalls

Tyre Dressings:
a)Water based dressings- (usually a milky-white liquid) does not contain silicone oils, petroleum distillates, waxes, or solvents that can harm rubber and / or vinyl over time. Most water-based dressings use a combination of natural oils and polymers to offer a non-greasy, satin finish. Most of these products also contain UV blocking agents to help keep tires from cracking, fading and hardening. Most, if not all water-based dressings are biodegradable, whereas silicone is not. (Zaino Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss™, also contains UV Radiation protection)

b)Silicone-based dressings- (usually a clear greasy liquid) that do not contain UV radiation protection and contain petroleum distillates as a cleaning agent. The difference is in the carrier system used. Solvent based products use a hydrocarbon solvent to suspend the product. When you apply it, the solvent evaporates leaving the dressing's active ingredients (Silicone oil) behind; this type of silicone is also not biodegradable. (Eagle One® Tire Shine Spray & Gel)

c)Application- spray a little dressing on sponge/applicator, spread evenly across the tyre surface, remove excess dressing and allow to dry before using the vehicle, if you prefer a matt finish wipe tyre with a cloth

Knowledge - [We know a subject] [We know where to find information on it] the most highly valued; [knowledge that is both held and shared]
Good info. I may try Zaino's tire stuff and if I like it, give the rest a try. I have been disappointed by Meguiars, much as I'm a fan of their wax.

Quick Reply: Shiny stuff on the tires?