Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What Is Zaino Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 01:23 AM
jerseyjwild
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Is Zaino Please

I've Just Repainted My 05 And Would Like To Protect It, Saw Pics Of This Applied To Cars And It Looks Like Glass, Okay Boys Whose Holding The Answers On This On Please?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:37 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Amost all the answers are on the zaino web site. www.zainostore.com will get you most of what you want. The rest can be found in various threads throughout this forum. You can't go wrong with Zaino.

Todd
Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 AM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Contrary to what Sal Zaino sells it as, Zaino is a SEALANT, not a polish, albeit a great one at that. Also contrary to Sal, I use a P21S gloss enhancing polish, Mezerna Finishing Touch Glaze and then follow up with 2 coats of Zaino Z2/ZFX on my Machine Silver 2007 Coupe (and the rest of my silver cars). The pre-polish and glaze really makes the metal flakes pop out at you. Lasts just as long as using Zaino only, again contrary to Sal. After 6-9 months, I repeat the process...starting from scratch again, rather than adding mutiple coats of Zaino. Oh, and I use Mircrofiber to apply my Zaino, contrary to "cotton towel" Zaino.

Last edited by siffert; 10-21-2006 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:02 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerseyjwild
I've Just Repainted My 05 And Would Like To Protect It, Saw Pics Of This Applied To Cars And It Looks Like Glass, Okay Boys Whose Holding The Answers On This On Please?
"What Is Zaino Please" A polymer sealant that provides a gloss to a paint surface like a wax on steroids
Old 10-21-2006, 08:35 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Zaino is a total Car Care "system" and is a sealant. No need to use any other wax, carnuba, etc.

Contrary to "SIFFERT", you should use Zaino as it was intended and designed by the owner and manufacture Sal Zaino for the best possible results.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:31 AM
0Zaino Bros (Sal)
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-08-'09

siffert,

Glad you like Zaino Polish products. I will always strive to
manufacture the best products in the industry.

Not to disagree with your post but I have found...

Using Mezerna Finishing Touch Glaze or any glaze or wax before using Zaino is a total waste of time... and can make your Zaino results inconsistent.

Glazes are loaded with oil to temporarily camouflage scratches and swirls. So in actuality all you are doing is putting oil on your paint finish. Oil will not let Zaino properly bond to the paint surface... The oil or wax must be wash off first as per my directions, when you prepare the paint for Zaino... This will guarantee you get 100% results from Zaino.

Also, I've been test the various Micro-Fiber products for years.

Some of them I tested are excellent and do not scratch... however some are terrible and definetely scratch.. The quality control of these products from overseas especially China & Korea is not consistent.. So you never know if they will be the same scratch free quality... Even when using the same brands, I found the quality to be inconsistent. It's a shame because I think the concept is excellent...

NOTE: If you are already using microfiber towels. Look carefully at your paint finish under flourescent light when you are using your towels. If you are not getting any swirls or fine scratches, from the microfiber towels then you are okay and can continue to use them...

Remember it's better to be safe than swirly.

Last edited by Zaino Bros (Sal); 10-21-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:59 PM
siffert
Safety Car

"Using Mezerna Finishing Touch Glaze or any glaze or wax before using Zaino is a total waste of time... and can make your Zaino results inconsistent."

Hi Sal...we have been through this on the phone as well.

As I have told you before, using my (real) polish and glaze has not been a waste of time for me, as a) I have acheived much better gloss, brilliance, clarity and metal flake pops using all those products (including yours) on my silver cars combined rather than using your's alone...all with extremely consistant results. Of course, each to their own and what products and combinations works best with their own cars. I might add I use a Porter Cable 7424 with all products, including yours, as I have found superior results than by hand.

"Glazes are loaded with oil to temporarily camouflage scratches and swirls. So in actuality all you are doing is putting oil on your paint finish. Oil will not let Zaino properly bond to the paint surface... The oil or wax must be wash off first as per my directions, when you prepare the paint for Zaino... This will guarantee you get 100% results from Zaino"

Yes, I know glaze has oil, though Menzerna's is not loaded with it. I get 100% results from my combined method and lasts me a good 6-9 months and your Zaino bonds quite well with it. Oh, oil and wax IMO, gets best removed by a polish/paint cleaner, not with Dawn on my cars.

"If you are already using microfiber towels. Look carefully at your paint finish under flourescent light when you are using your towels. If you are not getting any swirls or fine scratches, from the microfiber towels then you are okay and can continue to use them... "

I always do my cars under flourescent lights and have NEVER had any swirl or scratch problems with PakShak's Micropak micro fiber products. btw-I would guess that at many of your customers (and those who are not) use Microfiber as well, rather than cotton towels. To be honest, I would be more afraid of using that free cotton applicator that came with my last order from you than with any microfiber

Although we disagree on some things Sal, I still think Zaino is the best SEALANT and always recommend it to my friends.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:08 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by siffert
As I have told you before, using my (real) polish and glaze has not been a waste of time for me, as a) I have acheived much better gloss, brilliance, clarity and metal flake pops using all those products (including yours) on my silver cars combined rather than using your's alone...all with extremely consistant results. Of course, each to their own and what products and combinations works best with their own cars. I might add I use a Porter Cable 7424 with all products, including yours, as I have found superior results than by hand.
You may like to argue with Sal to spend your time, but you have proven his comments with this reply. It simply isn't possible to get a product(not just Zaino) to adhere to a surface that contains oils or other 'chemicals' to hide/improve/feed the paint finish. You need clean paint.

Of course your metallic flake is popping and looking great....That is what a Glaze was designed to do. Nothing against Zaino, you just aren't seeing what the Zaino can do for you. Zaino can do the same without the Glaze step.....

Todd
Old 10-21-2006, 05:05 PM
CHASLS2
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '13

Zaino is a true gift from heaven! Bought a black 04 z51 last weekend, within a hour i was playing and did Zaino.

Zaino made a ok looking black Vett look like a deep black mirror!

Soon on the C5 gen section, you will see a pic of my Vett, and you can notice some clouds on the pass side of the hood.

Chas
Old 10-21-2006, 06:26 PM
siffert
Safety Car

"That is what a Glaze was designed to do. Nothing against Zaino, you just aren't seeing what the Zaino can do for you. Zaino can do the same without the Glaze step....".

Hi..got 3 silver cars, and did Zaino Z2/ZFX ALONE when I first tried it and was not all that happy with the its purported look (didnt look any different from using Klasse AIO and Menzerna FMJ from prior use) although it lasted much longer on the car than FMJ and slightly longer from Klasse. The next year I tried the glaze and Zaino combined and WOW, what a difference that made to my silver cars. Now we all know many folks use toppers on top of Zaino (wax et al) and many are happy with the results. I tried Zaino alone also with P21S Carnauba Paste Wax as a topper and it didnt do all that much for me on my silver cars. So having tried everything else (detailing is a hobby of mine) and given everything a chance ALONE, I am now happy and completely satisfied with my polish/glaze and Zaino combo. They look like a silver bars with excellent metal flake pop! I didnt get this combo tip on my own, got it from others on the net who claimed the same results. They were right as far as I am concerned. Will it do the trick for others and other solid/metallic colored cars? Who knows, but it does the trick for me and my silver metallic cars. Not to mention my pal with his silver SL55 AMG who switch from Zaino alone to the polish/glaze/Zaino combo and has received 1st in Class at a few local car shows!
Old 10-28-2006, 05:49 PM
Bill97Z
Instructor

I've been experimenting and playing around with the zaino products for years, glazes, carnuba toppers, etc, you name it.......

I have to say, Sal is right on this one. Applying a glaze before zaino is going to decrease it's durability, and possibly cause inconsistant results. When you apply zaino over a glaze it is not going to bond as well as if it was a properly prepped (clean) paint finish.

Most of us have daily drivers and want the best protection for our rides. If you feel the look you are getting with a glaze / zaino combo satisfies you, I would hope this is more for garage queens or show cars.....

Another thing worth mentioning, is that zaino products alone can create different "looks" for different color cars. Experimenting around with Z2 and Z5 together with Z6 and Z8 will create different effects, especially when they are layered with ZFX.

As for the cotton applicators, I find them to be of good very quality and use them for just about every coat (unless I use foam). The best thing about them is that they are free which is a nice bonus with a zaino order.

Last edited by Bill97Z; 10-28-2006 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:35 PM
siffert
Safety Car

"Most of us have daily drivers and want the best protection for our rides. If you feel the look you are getting with a glaze / zaino combo satisfies you, I would hope this is more for garage queens or show cars"

I got 3 cars..all silver. One, a Monte Carlo is an all year daily driver in sun/rain/snow and, Jag XK8 is a garage queen (summers only sun only, no rain) and the other is my Vette-kinda daily but no snow . Anways, all three have different oem paint jobs though similar metallic silver colors, and all 3 exhibit the exact same outstanding consistancy . As for durability, the Monte Carlo does get done every 9 months or so...which shows how good the durability is. Now, is Menzerna Glaze different than 3M glaze or others with less oil or whatever? Perhaps and maybe that's why it has worked so well for me in the looks, consistency and durability combined with Zaino Z2/ZFX with all my cars. Each to their own but I'll say again, I find Zaino bonds just fine with polish and glaze. In fact, lasts/bonds just as long as a solid color white Trans-Am that I owned...for which I used Zaino Z2/ZFX on but with no Menzerna glaze. I found the glaze didnt make any difference in appearance on a solid colored car.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:49 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're new to Zaino, just get one of the kits. You won't be sorry - it's the best thing in the world. And since you're new to the product, always use exactly as the directions from Sal state.

After ample experience, you can branch out on your own and create your own system by trial and error, but if you don't do it "by the book" the first time, you'll never see how fantastic the results can be.

You learn to take out a gallbladder using both eyes and both hands first. Later on you can try to do it while smoking a cigar, using only one hand, and blindfolded.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:09 PM
jerseyjwild
Instructor

Default what is ziano

Thanks for all the imput guys, they have all been goods reads.I think I'll go with the Bugmans aproach and I read that as the KISS method.Looking forward to buy and try.Hope to be posting pic's sooner than later.

Get notified of new replies

To What Is Zaino Please

Quick Reply: What Is Zaino Please