Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Why is my Black Z06.......... Now Silver looking???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:50 PM
HisandHerZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Why is my Black Z06.......... Now Silver looking???

Guess the title says it all. Has anyone else every seen this? I read on Autopia that sometimes synthetics can sometimes cause this. Was this just a boo boo in my detail job? Or is it cause of the wax I used???
This is what was done.........

1.Washed with Gold Class and Meguiar's Chenille mit.
2.Meg's professional mild clay with Quick Detailer for lube.
3.#83 via the Rotary
4.#80 via the Rotary X 2
5.#80 via the DA
6.#9 via the DA
7. NXT via the DA X 2

And this is what I see now

[IMG][/IMG]

Now, the detail did make it look GREAT!!!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:02 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Are you referring to the milky look? Sometimes black will look like this. I prefer to use Z5 Pro on my black Z06 since I feel it makes it look blacker than some other products I have tried. How does it look in different light or under flourescents? What pads did you use for your final buff?
Old 10-07-2006, 08:04 PM
HisandHerZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by agentf1
Are you referring to the milky look? Sometimes black will look like this. I prefer to use Z5 Pro on my black Z06 since I feel it makes it look blacker than some other products I have tried. How does it look in different light or under flourescents? What pads did you use for your final buff?
Yes I am talking about the milky look.
In different light, ie shade or any kind of flourescent it looks GREAT!
Pads...... unsure, I believe they were all the Meguiars foam type, not sure, cause I didn't do it.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:35 PM
bretfraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen this plenty of times and the only thing I can come up with is you're seeing how sunlight reflects off the clearcoat. The fact that other light sources do not create the same effect tells me its not a paint flaw or a poor quality spray job. And the detail job looks terrific.

The clearcoat seems to be diffusing sunlight in an unusual way. It's just a thought but there seems to be some connection between the sun and the clearcoat.

I dunno.... that's my thoughts. I'd be interested in what others think.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:47 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bretfraz
I've seen this plenty of times and the only thing I can come up with is you're seeing how sunlight reflects off the clearcoat. The fact that other light sources do not create the same effect tells me its not a paint flaw or a poor quality spray job. And the detail job looks terrific.

The clearcoat seems to be diffusing sunlight in an unusual way. It's just a thought but there seems to be some connection between the sun and the clearcoat.

I dunno.... that's my thoughts. I'd be interested in what others think.

The product you choose may help this a little bit but it is pretty much the nature of the beast with clearcoated black.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:40 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

On my black car, Z5Pro and Z2Pro both look fantastic, and deepen and darken the black. I've never seen this milky look.

I've not used it myself, but Pinnacle Souveran also looks great on black - see Killrwheels' Vette.

I guess my plan would be to attack a small test patch : 2' X 2' area. See if you can make it look any different than the milky look of the rest of the car:
  1. hit it with rotary 1500 rpms, 3M 39002 and Meguiars polishing pad
  2. then PC with 39009 and white pad at 4
  3. Then wipe off with alcohol and inspect to see if the finish looks any better.
I suggest this because you might be able to remove some marring left from the prior detail job. This might have been caused by not working the polishes and breaking them down fully. The treatment above will not cause hazing. If it improves the look, then you know what you have to do to the rest of the car. If it does NOT make an improvement, then I think you have to resign yourself to this look as just being the way your clearcoat is.

But there are still some things you could try to darken the look:
  1. try a glaze - 3M imperial hand glaze followed by #26 carnauba or even NXT will deepen my red and black car finish.
  2. Try other sealants mentioned above: Pinnacle, Zaino are probably a guarantee that you're getting the deepest darkest black possible.

after that, you can give up The car really does look great overall.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:10 AM
levrac68
Melting Slicks

I'd agree that something is diffusing the color refelcting back through the clearcoat. The paint color itself wasnt' harmed because there is still clearcoat protecting it. I'd try washing with dawn again and starting over, but no buffing this time. Now I'm curious too.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Aaron71771
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I notice a like effect on my black 91. The black was turing a light gray. I ues Pinnacle paint cleaner now and the oils always get it back to a nice black color.

I know the 3m swirl remover will get out swirls - but it leaves super fine scratches. When the sun hits them right it will make the car look less black. The Pinnacle stuff seems to cover it well.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by HisandHerZ06
Guess the title says it all. Has anyone else every seen this? I read on Autopia that sometimes synthetics can sometimes cause this. Was this just a boo boo in my detail job? Or is it cause of the wax I used???

3.#83 via the Rotary
4.#80 via the Rotary X 2
5.#80 via the DA
6.#9 via the DA
7. NXT via the DA X 2

[IMG][/IMG]

i think what you're seeing is micro marring in the clear coat. what type of pads/bonnets did you use with your machines?
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 AM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I use those halogen shop lights you see at Home Depot in my garage. On my black cars, when you shine the light directly into the paint, this is EXACTLY what black paint looks like. I see this same look at every stage of prep work, also, so it is not a function of the sealant/polish/wax. I just completed a orange peel reduction on my black truck and after the first compounding step, the reflection looked just like that(although, it had compound swirl). I have also worked on high end vehicles with custom black paint, and this is the same. Lacquer(sp??) seems to be the clearest, but that is on show car only type paint work.

Under all other lighting conditions, the black looks super deep/wet/shiney with no hint of this 'milky' look. My bet is the clear coat has something to do with it. High solids clear coats seem to be the point at which this became very noticable.

Todd
Old 10-10-2006, 10:11 AM
HisandHerZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe C
i think what you're seeing is micro marring in the clear coat. what type of pads/bonnets did you use with your machines?
All of the Meguiers pads were used. I believe just the Polishing pads followed by finishing pads. Is that correct?

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
I use those halogen shop lights you see at Home Depot in my garage. On my black cars, when you shine the light directly into the paint, this is EXACTLY what black paint looks like. I see this same look at every stage of prep work, also, so it is not a function of the sealant/polish/wax. I just completed a orange peel reduction on my black truck and after the first compounding step, the reflection looked just like that(although, it had compound swirl). I have also worked on high end vehicles with custom black paint, and this is the same. Lacquer(sp??) seems to be the clearest, but that is on show car only type paint work.

Under all other lighting conditions, the black looks super deep/wet/shiney with no hint of this 'milky' look. My bet is the clear coat has something to do with it. High solids clear coats seem to be the point at which this became very noticable.

Todd
K, You have me all confused, maybe it's too early. At first it sounded like you were saying the look was correct in your first paragraph. But then in your second it sounds like you are saying the look isn't correct.

TY Both............. Keep them coming, I have my own PC (DA) with all 3 Meguiers pads and #80 Polish coming Thursday.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's just a lighting effect on a factory paint job. Nothing more, nothing less, IMO.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

All of the Meguiers pads were used. I believe just the Polishing pads followed by finishing pads. Is that correct?

K, You have me all confused, maybe it's too early. At first it sounded like you were saying the look was correct in your first paragraph. But then in your second it sounds like you are saying the look isn't correct.

TY Both............. Keep them coming, I have my own PC (DA) with all 3 Meguiers pads and #80 Polish coming Thursday.
try this thread on the showcargarage forum - http://www.showcargarage.com/forums/...read.php?t=241

when you said you used a polishing pad, was it yellow or maroon in color? my suggestion is a fine cut cleaner/yellow pad. it might take a couple passes. you may have to work at it, and make sure you're polishing long enough to break down compound. follow with a swirl remover/yellow pad, and a machine glaze/tan pad. what speed setting are you using on the PC and rotary?

Last edited by Joe C; 10-10-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:12 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

TY
Sorry. My second paragraph was to emphasize that the black may look like your picture in absolute direct light from a certain angle, but in reality the paint still looks extremely deep/wet/shiney. I absolutely stand by the fact all modern black paints look this way when viewed with direct light and do not believe you have any issues with micro-marring or pads. Like I mentioned, I have dealt with my own black vehicles(I have owned at least 10 than I can think of right now) and they have all looked this way in direct light for the last decade or more. I have two black vehicles in the garage right now, beautifully detailed, get comments on how incredibly deep the black looks, and yet I can take my 500watt shop lamp and peer directly into the surface and see exactly what you are showing in that picture.

Todd
Old 10-10-2006, 03:22 PM
HisandHerZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
Sorry. My second paragraph was to emphasize that the black may look like your picture in absolute direct light from a certain angle, but in reality the paint still looks extremely deep/wet/shiney. I absolutely stand by the fact all modern black paints look this way when viewed with direct light and do not believe you have any issues with micro-marring or pads. Like I mentioned, I have dealt with my own black vehicles(I have owned at least 10 than I can think of right now) and they have all looked this way in direct light for the last decade or more. I have two black vehicles in the garage right now, beautifully detailed, get comments on how incredibly deep the black looks, and yet I can take my 500watt shop lamp and peer directly into the surface and see exactly what you are showing in that picture.

Todd

Ah, that makes more sense now!!! TY! I think I will take that to heart sounds like you have seen it once or twice. That's what I was looking for someone who has black, has seen this....... I will still try to clean it up some, still not 100% perfect......lol

Anyone have/seen the same thing and possibly dis-agree???? I myself don't know.......

TY
Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Ah, that makes more sense now!!! TY! I think I will take that to heart sounds like you have seen it once or twice. That's what I was looking for someone who has black, has seen this....... I will still try to clean it up some, still not 100% perfect......lol

Anyone have/seen the same thing and possibly dis-agree???? I myself don't know.......

TY
I am certain Frank(AgentF1) has more experience than I, am I believe his post is also leading the same way. From your picture, I see no visible evidence of any micro-marring or swirling. The linked thread shows a similar problem, but there is evidence of swirling and micro marring in the picture provided. Yours looks clean. My guess is that the newer water based paints required an increase in the solids content in the paint. I believe this is the result. I see this in very dark blues and charcole(sp?) vehicles as well.

Todd
Old 10-14-2006, 07:13 PM
IwntmyZTV
Racer

3.#83 via the Rotary
4.#80 via the Rotary X 2
5.#80 via the DA
6.#9 via the DA
7. NXT via the DA X 2

[IMG][/IMG]

Did you not see this before? The way you phrase the question it seems like this only happened after the detail...

Get notified of new replies

To Why is my Black Z06.......... Now Silver looking???

Old 10-14-2006, 08:14 PM
HisandHerZ06
Burning Brakes

To be honest, I am not 100% sure........... seeing as how I didn't have the car but a week or so....... I don't believe it was that way before, but then again, maybe I wasn't looking at it close enough before the detail. I do have some before pics that don't look at "milky" but I honestly can't remember how much sun was out when I took them.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Chris.Shea
Drifting

there all like that. any black c5 ive ever seen in direct sunlight made the paint appear lighter but any other light/condition and the cars deep deep black. bugs the hell out of me but i live with it.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:30 PM
HisandHerZ06
Burning Brakes

Well, I have now had a couple people say that it's normal, others just gave advise of how to fix it, but no one has said they've had a black car with this and fixed it.......... so I think the general concensious is............ that's how it is.

TY
JOE

Quick Reply: Why is my Black Z06.......... Now Silver looking???