Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What to use to get a scratch out of the vette?????????

Old 08-28-2001, 11:15 AM
Mace
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default What to use to get a scratch out of the vette?????????

Has anyone tried anything but some zanio product?? Maybe something that could be purchased from a store so if it doens't work it can be taken back?????
thanks
Mace
Old 08-28-2001, 07:58 PM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

Default Re: What to use to get a scratch out of the vette????????? (Mace)

Mace, You can try 3M scratch remover #39009, It has a slight abrasive and works very well with small scratches. Then just go over it with your favorite polish.
Hope this helps :yesnod:
Old 08-29-2001, 02:11 PM
rubyred93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What to use to get a scratch out of the vette????????? (georgehafe)

When you state "scratch", what degree of scratch are you talking about? Are you able to catch your fingernail in it if you were to run your nail across it?

Can you be a little more specific, please?
Old 08-29-2001, 05:16 PM
Mace
Drifting

Default Re: What to use to get a scratch out of the vette????????? (rubyred93)

Not that deep but not just a scuff either. It's not to the glass but it doesn't look good. Something like this is hard to explain. The reason I ask is while at Carlist a guy talked his dad into getting some of the meguires scratch out(for lack of a better name). I asked if it worked he said he had never tried it but his dad had some scratches on his vette and he ewanted himm to try it. I see the add for gs27( I think thats the name) on tv all the time and wonder if it will work.
Mace
Old 08-30-2001, 11:05 AM
rubyred93
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What to use to get a scratch out of the vette????????? (Mace)

Okay, I'm still a little unsure about the degree of the scratching, especially when you state that it "doesn't look good". Are you able to catch your fingernail in it? If you are, then the best thing to do (unfortunately) is to have a professional do a quality repair.

If you would first like to attempt this yourself, my recommendation would be to begin with the least abrasive method first, as you can always increase the level of abrasiveness that you are working with. If you begin with the most abrasive product, then you have nowhere to go from there and risk causing more damage.

That said, the 3M product (Swirl Mark Remover) that was suggested in the previous post is actually the 3M part number for dark colored cars. This product is available in two formulations - one for dark colored finishes and the other for light colored finishes. If you would like to try it, first choose which one would best suit your finish. My experience with this particular 3M product is that it is pretty mild, however it can cause micro-marring on darker finishes -just a word of caution.

I have tried the Meguiar's Scratch X that you speak of, and was not impressed. It claims to leave behing no micro-marring. Not true. In my opinion, 3M produces a far better line of products for this application.

The 3M Finish Restorer may also be a possibility for you. Again, this is rather mild and produces a nice result; I happen to use the Finish Restorer on my own car and am pleased with it.

If these products fail to achieve what you are looking for ( you may actually need to apply them several times) then consider the use of 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, keeping in mind that it is more abrasive and wil likely cause micro-marring that you will need to address.

I wish that you could supply a photo of the scrtach that you are speaking of, it would make it a little easier to assess.
Old 08-30-2001, 12:56 PM
Mace
Drifting

Default Re: What to use to get a scratch out of the vette????????? (rubyred93)

rr93- haven't been able to do the fingernail test having the a/c looked at..yea yea I know it's late in the season but thought I'd find out whats wrong now and if it's bad save up for later. Sorry no pix the wife and I keep talking about a dig camera but we haven't gotten one yet.
The car where the scratch is is light blue(it's a 2 tone car)
I want to thank you for the help and when I ger the car back I'll respond.
thanks
Mace

Get notified of new replies

To What to use to get a scratch out of the vette?????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to use to get a scratch out of the vette?????????