Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 10:24 PM
Thomas
Le Mans Master

Received 206 Likes on 80 Posts

Default A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales?

I have not seen this question posted here before, and if it has been, please, forgive me.

It appears Zaino is sold by "Authorized dealers" only. Or "Distributors". What I dont understand is, why isnt it available at retail stores? Pep-Boys, Checkers, etc.

I would think sales would surely increase, just due to it's popularity here. We would all love to have it more readily available.

So to recap, if this product is so superior, (No, I have not used it, YET) Why not advertise, (Spendy, I know,) and make it available to the unwashed masses? Like myself?

ps: I am ordering this stuff, it sounds fantastic!!!!!
Old 08-17-2001, 10:33 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales? (Thomas)

You can buy it from Ecklers, if you want to pay the middle man charge. Advertise???? Sal gets the best advertisement from forum members. I know I have gotten three or four people giving it serious consideration. Word of mouth advertisement, as well as seeing the finished project, is the best advertisement/endorsement. :yesnod:
Old 08-17-2001, 10:43 PM
Thomas
Le Mans Master

Ok, word of mouth DOES work, to some degree, it will make or break a film for instance, but how about the folks that dont read this forum, (Fools) or people who do not even KNOW a Vette owner, (Bigger fools) thus never being exposed to this product?
Old 08-17-2001, 10:50 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

That was just my .02. Hopefully a distributor will chime in here. I also believe the ricers use iot on their cars. I'm sure a lot of poeple who 'professionally' show their cars use it too. I learned about it here,and I'm hooked
Old 08-17-2001, 10:54 PM
Thomas
Le Mans Master

Well, I appreciate your response. I have heard many good things about Zaino, and plan on ordering it.

Matter of fact, no time like the present,,,,,,,,

Thomas
Old 08-18-2001, 12:50 AM
Stingray1967
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Agreed, word of mouth is better. Plus, they claim that they do factory direct to "keep their product quality high". Not real sure how that would effect product quality if Napa Auto Parts were to start carrying their product, but whichever..... I know their stuff ROCKS! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

P.S. Thomas, were you at the Treasure Island show a few weeks ago? Maybe a got a shot of your vette! I was there. We should get together sometime. :yesnod:

[Modified by Stingray1967, 10:51 PM 8/17/2001]
Old 08-18-2001, 01:16 AM
Getaway
Drifting

Default Re: A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales? (Stingray1967)

I think the theory is this:

Retail shoppers look at 'price' to make a decision. Zaino would get very dusty sitting on shelves in the unattractive packaging sitting with a price tag higher than most all other products.

To compete on the retail level, additional money would have to be invested to upgrade the packaging and the selling price would have to be lower to move product. That would mean a lot less going into the Zaino till and as long as sales continue to grow and we all keep using Zaino, it's not likely ever to be seen on the retail market.

We're paying a premium price for an excellent product, because we're enthusiasts. The average Joe out there just won't do it.
Old 08-18-2001, 01:22 AM
KLO
Safety Car

It is just too high end of a product for like WalMart, Sal has said he cringes at the thought of Zaino on the shelf next to Turtle Wax, he said it would embarrass him and I think it would if my name was on the bottle. Also, the kid in the automotive section will not take the time like we distributors do to explain about the products. Enthusiast products are just not that easily retailed, examples, Red Line oil, Royal Purple oil, forged racing wheels, get the picture.

Sal is not after the mom and pop crowd down at the local K-Mart. Also, collecting from these corporations IS NOT easy.
Old 08-18-2001, 07:06 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Default Re: A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales? (KLO)

Zaino is a "nitch" product, can you imagine someone purchasing Zaino in say Pep Boys that has not polished or waxed their car in 5 years, they would say Zaino sucks because it would not remove the oxidation on their car, because unlike 99% of the products sold at auto stores Zaino does not contain abrasives. Sal likes the one on one relationships of the distributors working with the customers, it stops application questions and problems and has worked out well. You will find most of the distributors take credit cards through Paypal.com and ship orders out within 24 hours.

[Modified by hcvone, 6:08 AM 8/18/2001]
Old 08-19-2001, 12:22 PM
69er
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think Sal can/wants to be that big of an operation to have his products in retail stores nationwide.
He's probably happy where he's at right now.
He doesn't even take credit cards on his site.
The bigger the operation,the bigger the profit,the bigger the headaches.
Just my .02
Old 08-19-2001, 03:02 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

It is just too high end of a product for like WalMart, Sal has said he cringes at the thought of Zaino on the shelf next to Turtle Wax, he said it would embarrass him and I think it would if my name was on the bottle.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HUH? Spare me.

Joel
Old 08-19-2001, 04:54 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Default Re: A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales? (C5 Hardtop)

HUH? Spare me.
Ok, your spared :crazy:

If you don't believe me, that is easy to reconcile, just call Sal and ask him, because what I posted came straight out of his mouth.
Old 08-19-2001, 05:10 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I would say that Sal cares less about making money that anyone I know in business, his first concern is that the end user is happy with the results from his product, there has been no Zaino price increases in over 10 years. In all my years of using polishes/waxes I have never used a product that gives you more applications for your dollar than Zaino.
Old 08-19-2001, 06:27 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Phew, thanks!

But really, look at the post and read it. It sounds "VERY" conceded. "I am better then thou", "I'm so good I can not sit next to you as you are a piece of dirt" :rolleyes:

Joel
Old 08-19-2001, 09:30 PM
69er
Team Owner

"I am better then thou"

I know his product is better than thou.
Better than everything I've tried...and I've tried plenty of 'em.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:50 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Default Re: A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales? (69er)

I'm with ya on that. However, not offering it in a retail store because its too good is just goofy.

Joel
Old 08-19-2001, 11:16 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Two things:

1. There are WAY more waxes and polishes NOT sold at Wal-Mart and K-Mart than ARE sold at those stores.

2. It is like Carl said above, Zaino would collect boo koos of dust at Wal-Mart, Sal would never want to sell only individual items, he wants you to have the entire kit, but most buy only the wax or wash etc. The only way I see Zaino selling at retail is in a kit of four products like Z-1,2,6and7, that would run 39.80 and would be too high for Wal-mart shoppers.

[Modified by KLO, 9:20 PM 8/19/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales?

Old 08-19-2001, 11:19 PM
69er
Team Owner

My guess is you'd have to have a big plant to provide Zaino in retail stores nationwide.
Something Sal I would assume doesn't have...at least at this point.
Old 08-20-2001, 05:49 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales? (69er)

I think part of it may be control...I think Sal would like to control his product and that is easier to do this way...I think Zaino is a very high line product but I like other products too. I think that it is a "system" and this way of selling the "system" works out better...plus, if you don't like it, I am sure Sal would like to know why you don't if that could improve the product or just to show you that you may have missed something.
I don't know Sal, but from what I see on the Forum, he strikes me as a guy who is proud that he has developed a product that meets his stringent standards and he is happy to share that product with those of us who share those stringent standards. If you don't like it okay if you do, great.
I am currently "testing" for myself his products against my Meguire's and am grudgenly respectful so far.
Zaino appears to me to be "as advertised."
Nothing wrong with a guy who is disatisfied with a product going out and trying to "better the breed" is there??? I guess that is why some of us modify the C5, right??? :D :D :D :D
Old 08-20-2001, 08:41 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales? (silversport)

As I said above, Zaino is made for a small group of people that really take pride in the care of their cars, those are not generally the people that shop at Pep Boys or K- Mart.

Quick Reply: A query regarding Zaino,,,,,,, Why not retail sales?