Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Protector/Sealer for new convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:46 AM
janne66+2002
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Protector/Sealer for new convertible top

I'm a Swedish Corvette Club member who just have had my new C6 conv delivered.
I have spoken to some proffessionals how to protect the new ragg top.

Some of them say that the top is alreday perfectly protected from the factory and some say to protect it is just to throw away your money to no use. The only winner is the company who did the job.
Then one proffessional says it's a very good idea to do it when the top is new.

Please give me some advise.

Greetings from Sweden where we are 1800 members in our corvette club.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:31 AM
silvertc6
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hello and Welcome Sweden. I have had several convertibles, the most recent being C5 for 6 years and now C6 and have used them extensively in all types of weather even some snow and sleet, but not severe cold, without any problems. Only, washed the tops lightly at the same time as doing the car. However, I should mention that I have most often, but not always, used a car cover. Expect that some of the other forum members that live in much colder areas will be able to say more on this subject. kind Regards from the USA.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:13 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Can't help with the vert sealer, but welcome aboard.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:00 AM
cec58
Instructor

Your top does have an initial fabric protector on it, you can tell by the way water beads on it. Once the water no longer beads, it is time to recoat it. I have used a 303 brand fabric guard spray for the past five years on my convertible tops. I first clean the top with 303 convertible top cleaner and then spray on the protectant after the top dries. Both steps are very easy to do and the results are well worth it. My vert is always garaged, so I generally only have to use the protectant spray once a season. I believe it is money well spent.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:05 AM
richhoff
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used Ragtopps Convertible Top Sealer on my new top immediately after buying it. I noticed a huge difference in the water beading-up on the top when I sprayed water on it. I believe it gives me more protection. I'm not positive that it was necessary, but what the heck--I paid alot of money for that top, and what's a few bucks of added insurance.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:41 AM
legalgus
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might also want to check the National Corvette Museum website, their store. They've got a number of car care items they use. Also, superiorcarcare website.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:11 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Greetings to you Sweden - when the water will no longer bead is the time to treat the top. I use Raggtop sealer.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:53 AM
jackinwy
Advanced

Caveat however. Be sure to protect your glass and painted areas. It is not very easy to remove the overspray of Ragtop.
Originally Posted by richhoff
I used Ragtopps Convertible Top Sealer on my new top immediately after buying it. I noticed a huge difference in the water beading-up on the top when I sprayed water on it. I believe it gives me more protection. I'm not positive that it was necessary, but what the heck--I paid alot of money for that top, and what's a few bucks of added insurance.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 AM
jackinwy
Advanced

Caveat however. Protect your nearby painted and glass areas before using Ragtop. The overspray is not eadily removed.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
jackinwy
Advanced

Caveat however. Protect your nearby painted and glass areas, as the Ragtop overspray is not easily removed.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
xs650
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cec58
Your top does have an initial fabric protector on it, you can tell by the way water beads on it. Once the water no longer beads, it is time to recoat it. I have used a 303 brand fabric guard spray for the past five years on my convertible tops. I first clean the top with 303 convertible top cleaner and then spray on the protectant after the top dries. Both steps are very easy to do and the results are well worth it. My vert is always garaged, so I generally only have to use the protectant spray once a season. I believe it is money well spent.
I used the 303 on my 96 C4 fabric top. I held up for 2 seasons.

As someone else warned with Rag Topp, keep the stuff off your paint. It won't do it any harm, but keeps a good wax job from looking it's best.

Also don't dry the top off with your good microfiber towels. Enough of the protectant comes off on the towel that the towel becomes fairly non-absorbant.

I ttook three trips though the washing machine befroe my microfiber towel started working right again.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Give 303 Aerospace or Raggtopp a try. They both work excellent.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
SMR 67
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

1) Raggtop cleaner
2) Raggtop protectant

Old 04-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

Get the Ragg Topp spray. The top will then repell water and dirt, and be much easier to clean.
Before applying it, wash the top thoroughly and let dry.
Then, cover all surfaces (windows and painted areas) with paper or towels so you don't get any of the spray on them. If you do, it is difficult to remove. It is easier to prevent it, than to remove it.
Good luck with the new C6.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

definitely go with raggtopp.
my first treatment (3 coats) of the protectant has now lasted 13 months, with no sign that the beading has diminished at all. But in general, re-doing the treatment once a year might be reasonable, especially if the car is left outside often. I can't believe anyone would have to re-do it more often than that. It's great stuff !

Don't leave your roof untreated - you need protection against UV rays and protection against dirt so it doesn't get emebedded into the fibers.

Get notified of new replies

To Protector/Sealer for new convertible top

Quick Reply: Protector/Sealer for new convertible top