Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Coarse clay bar KIlled my paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:42 PM
napoleonvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Coarse clay bar KIlled my paint

Clay bared wife`s coupe polished and waxed with ADAMS PRODUCTS car looked great . Ran out of blue clay from clay magic went to paint store sold me red coarse clay by clay magic now paint on my Z-06 looks like it has chatter marks or has been sanded .Any comments or advice would be appreciated
Old 03-27-2006, 10:52 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

The marks will have to be polished out.

Aggressive clay should only be used in severe circumstances.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang! That sucks man. You may have to polish them out, like Zane mentioned. Worst case scenario, you may have to use a PC to get them off.
Is it deep into the coat?
Goose
Old 03-28-2006, 12:59 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had clay induced marring from the clay magic blue on black vette paint before, it polished right out.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:20 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

happened to me - with a bar of Meguiars clay.
I have to quickly admit that it was really my fault - in that case it was soft clay - I'm sure I picked up some coarse dirt in the bar somehow and didn't notice it until too late.

but I"m superstitious anyway - have used Zaino clay since then and just stay with it because nothing bad has happened again.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 AM
napoleonvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have tried polish,scratch remover,ps-10 fine compound with no results going to try my PC this weekend may have to water sand if enough clear coat left
Old 03-28-2006, 09:50 AM
FIDOauto
Pro

I have clay barred hundreds of vehicles and have never damaged paint to the point it needed to be wet sanded. I too have clay magic clay bars.

A PC and ZPC Fusion or Glare Spider will take out any damage left from the clay.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:39 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Old 03-28-2006, 11:04 AM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Claying is largely overrated...If your paint is in good condition it doesn't have to be clayed. There have been many people locally in clubs that have scratched an otherwise perfect paintjob beacuse someone recommends claying, even high-end bodyshops (R&M restorations) will tell you not to use it unless it is absolutly nessasary. Why would you want to rub a good paintjob with clay and risk scratching it...most people wouldn't use a crappy towel to dry your paint, but use a piece of clay risking dirt and crap under it to rub paint.
I used a clay bar on my black 90 ZR-1 hailo panel and totally scratched the s**t out of it and have had a dozen people tell me the same thing. Don't use it unless you have to! If you keep your paint nice and polished you don't need it anyway.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:35 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

If you car is driven on a daily basis it will need claying sooner or later. If your car is a garage queen or showcar that is not exposed to the elements it will need very little to no claying.

If you have defects that need wetsanded out after claying then their was a problem with your process.

napoleonvette, can you please post pics of the defects?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:00 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TommyL
Claying is largely overrated...If your paint is in good condition it doesn't have to be clayed. There have been many people locally in clubs that have scratched an otherwise perfect paintjob beacuse someone recommends claying, even high-end bodyshops (R&M restorations) will tell you not to use it unless it is absolutly nessasary. Why would you want to rub a good paintjob with clay and risk scratching it...most people wouldn't use a crappy towel to dry your paint, but use a piece of clay risking dirt and crap under it to rub paint.
I used a clay bar on my black 90 ZR-1 hailo panel and totally scratched the s**t out of it and have had a dozen people tell me the same thing. Don't use it unless you have to! If you keep your paint nice and polished you don't need it anyway.
With proper technique, there's not much to worry about. Plus, cars that get driven will benefit from it...remove contamination.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:06 PM
TommyL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZaneO
With proper technique, there's not much to worry about. Plus, cars that get driven will benefit from it...remove contamination.
This is the biggest gimmic since New Finish sealant. Claybars have been around for many many years in the auto body bussiness for removing overspray...overspray not contamination. What contamination are you going to remove?. I lived 3 miles from an airport in Toronto and never used a claybar to remove contamination from my paint, just polish and protect it. Claybars have only been a popular thing with the general public for the last 5 or so years before that what did people do? I have a friend that detailes high end cars in toronto and he laughs when people mention claying the paint. If you properly seal and protect paint you have absolutely no contaimination and I certainly would never rub a new paint job or brand new finish with anything except polish and sealant.

To each is own but beware the pro painters and restorers will tell you not to use it if you want a mirror finish.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

When your car is freshly washed, stick your hand in a plastic baggie and gently rub...anything but a perfectly smooth surface would indicate contamination.

Claybars work for *many* people including professional detailers, paint restorers, etc. It's not my deal if you can't understand and accept that...your loss.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:01 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

This is what a claybar looked like after I did 1/4 of the roof of my beater:

This is what the car looked like:

WOW it looks so clean, but in this pic only the roof was clayed.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:15 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gmblack3

That picture doesn't prove anything...you just don't know how to wash a car thoroughly.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
bldavis11
Burning Brakes

That picture doesn't prove anything...you just don't know how to wash a car thoroughly.
ZING!!!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Goose

Get notified of new replies

To Coarse clay bar KIlled my paint

Old 03-28-2006, 08:50 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor 06

Originally Posted by TommyL
This is the biggest gimmic since New Finish sealant. Claybars have been around for many many years in the auto body bussiness for removing overspray...overspray not contamination. What contamination are you going to remove?. I lived 3 miles from an airport in Toronto and never used a claybar to remove contamination from my paint, just polish and protect it. Claybars have only been a popular thing with the general public for the last 5 or so years before that what did people do? I have a friend that detailes high end cars in toronto and he laughs when people mention claying the paint. If you properly seal and protect paint you have absolutely no contaimination and I certainly would never rub a new paint job or brand new finish with anything except polish and sealant.

To each is own but beware the pro painters and restorers will tell you not to use it if you want a mirror finish.
New Finish I remember that stuff, I couldn't have been 17-18 yrs old when I first saw it on the shelf and yes I bought 2 bottles. I think I still have them somewhere in the garage

I am not a claybar fan either but I have seen a few guys use it and the final finish has been top notch.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:55 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor 06

Originally Posted by gmblack3

WOW it looks so clean, but in this pic only the roof was clayed.
What did you use to wash it with?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by forrest
I think some of you may have missed this part of the original post:

The red bar is very aggressive and does cause marring. It needs to be polished afterwards to remove the marring.

Why did you purchase the red bar instead of another blue one? That's the problem I see.

Polish it with a quality polish and a DA machine, and life will be good again.
This is a very interesting post. In a way, it re-assures my feelings of why I've never wanted to clay my cars; I would still have to try it to see if I'd still feel that way perhaps.

Now, my question is; why do they even have different grades of clay -like coarse? If you have to polish out the expected marring produced by an aggressive clay compound, wouldn't that defy the pupose of claying in the first place?
I mean, using a polish compound to correct the marring.
Goose

Quick Reply: Coarse clay bar KIlled my paint