Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

So I'm gonna order Zaino... but

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm gonna order Zaino... but

WTF do I order? lol

ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive for Z-2, Z-3 & Z-5 * NEW *
Z-1 Show Car Polish LOK Pre-Cleaner and Gloss Enhancer
Z-2 Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Finishes
Z-3 Show Car Polish for Regular Paint
Z-5 Polish for Swirl Marks & Fine Scratches
Z-6 Ultra Clean "Gloss Enhancer" Spray
Z-7 Show Car Wash
Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner
Z-10 "Leather in a Bottle" Treatment and Conditioner
Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish
Z-14 Plastic-Magic Cleaner & Polish
Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss

Are all their products worthy?

I'm curious about the ZFX cure accellerator.. how is that applied?
Old 03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Yes, they are ALL worthy. The Z3 is for non clear coated paint so you will probably not need that.

I would also get the ZFX instead of the Z1.

Pick up some Z5 for those times you have some minor swirls you want to fill.

Pick up some Zaino Fusion (ZPC) for any swirl removal you need to do.

Z2 Pro is a definite.

Z6 is an awesome QD and one of his products I cannot do without. I use it for before I Zaino if the surface is not slick, I mist my applicator with it, between coats and for all my QD needs.

Z8 is anothetr must have and awesome product. I use it as my final coat and after I wash if I want to renew that awesome just Zaino'd look and extend my polishes life. When applied after Zainoing it will make my finish deeeeeeeper and wetttttttter looking and slicker.

Z7 is an awesome wash that smells great, produces tons of suds and will actually add a little more polish to the surface.

Z9 and Z10 are awesome leather products and they smell great. I even use them in my house on my leather couch and they make my entire house smell great.

I even love their Z16 and use it on my tires, trim and weatherstripping. It is not too shiny on my tires which I like but if you like it real shiny you can obtain it with additional coats. It has a lot of great rubber preservatives and is great for weatherstripping and is very durable.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

And the Z18 claybar, that is a first before you do anything, preperation is everything
Old 03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
JCaravan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIDOauto
You add a couple of drops of ZFX to Z2 and Z5 and this allows them to cure almost instantly. This allows you to put more than one coat on without having to let the previous coat cure for a few hours. If memory serves my correctly, by using ZFX, you can apply up to three coats one after the other.

When I got started with Zaino, I ordered their 'Total Protection Show Car Kit'. You may also want to pick up a bottle of Z8. Well worth it!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:08 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

WTF do I order? lol

ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive for Z-2, Z-3 & Z-5 * NEW *
Z-3 Show Car Polish for Regular Paint
Z-7 Show Car Wash
Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish
Z-14 Plastic-Magic Cleaner & Polish
Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss

Are all their products worthy?

At a bare minimum I would order the ZFX, Z2Pro and the Z6. A clay bar is highly suggested as prep before applying ANY finish.

Does your car have very fine scratches ? If it does, then I would suggest the Z5 as well. Z8 (grand finale spray) is amazing and well worth the money. I use the Z6 detailer for every day use and the Z8 when I want the paint to really jump out with that "just waxed" look.

As for the ZFX and how it's applied. You just add a few drops as per the directions to the product you're using (Z2Pro or Z5) give a quick shake and then apply like normal. It should be used on the first application of Zaino, and then every 10 coats after that. I have friends who add it every time they do a coat since it speeds the molecular bonding time of the product you're applying.

I ended up ordering the Zkit2 since I needed pretty much everything in the kit and I know that all of the Zaino products were designed to work with each other. There was no guess work out of which car wash soap might harm my finish, which detail spray is compatible, etc... And the leather in a bottle smells awesome. I not only use it on my seats, but also on leather furniture in the house.

Just remember, with Zaino, LESS is MORE. A little goes a LONG way. It's very easy to over apply since with most of the older types of waxes and polymers you have to put on a heavy coat. Not true with Zaino. Just barely cover the paint, let dry, wipe off and be amazed.

Last edited by mrosa65; 03-13-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:43 AM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

with above
Old 03-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Liberty2000
Instructor

I agree with the previous post. I would say the minimum you should get would be a clay bar, a vial of the ZFX, Z2Pro and Z6.

I'd suggest looking the car over first and if you seee any big gobs of tar on the lower part of the car, use a tar remover or mineral spirits to get them off. Then wash the car with Dawn and at the same time use the clay bar.

The thing to keep in mind when using the ZFX (that I prefer to having to use the Z1) is once you mix up a batch using it, it's good for only 12 hours and then it goes bad. So, the plan here is to mix only as much as you need. When you get the ZFX you get four 2 fluid ounce containers. I've found with 1 ounce of Zaino I can get two applications out of it on a C5. If you plan to apply one coat of the Z2Pro just mark the half full point on the container and that's 1 ounce. Then mark half of that and you have one-half ounce. Fill the container with Z2Pro to that mark. Add two drops of the ZFX, shake it up and you're ready to go. I put three or four drops of Zaino on the applicator pad and wipe it on a small area and repeat this. The previous post was absolutely right. A little Zaino goes a long way.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:56 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Liberty2000
I've found with 1 ounce of Zaino I can get two applications out of it on a C5. If you plan to apply one coat of the Z2Pro just mark the half full point on the container and that's 1 ounce. Then mark half of that and you have one-half ounce. Fill the container with Z2Pro to that mark. Add two drops of the ZFX, shake it up and you're ready to go. I put three or four drops of Zaino on the applicator pad and wipe it on a small area and repeat this.

PERFECT -- stole it right out of my head.
On my C6, I can almost go around the car twice on 1/2 ounce. Pretty often I do the entire car, then at least have enough to do the hood again with a second coat. Don't bother ever mixing more than a 1/2 ounce at a time.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:02 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

Thank you detailing Gods!! Awesome info. I will be putting the order in today.

I actually took out the claybar cuz Its almost automatic to use in my books. I have 2 or 3 still in the wrapper left. Some clays are better then others though... so if the price is ok I will order the Zaino clay as well.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:16 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Some clays are better then others though... so if the price is ok I will order the Zaino clay as well.
There are only a few clay manufacturers in the world. Most clay is the same or very similar.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:38 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

Originally Posted by ZaneO
There are only a few clay manufacturers in the world. Most clay is the same or very similar.
well I certainly didn't know that. My assumption comes from the fact that I've used three different ones and all three were different in colour and how they glided on top of the paint.

So I've decided to go with

ZFX
Old 03-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Fido, I'm curious. Weren't you real big on GLARE at one time? In fact you were so defensive of it I thought you were going to be a distributor for the product. They say it last five years. Zaino claims that it's polish last 4-6 months. Why not stay with Glare? If I remember correctly you said that using Glare got you more money for your used cars. I'm not trying nor do I want to start a war here. Just wondering why Glare didn't work out for you?

Last edited by Crusher; 03-13-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:02 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

well I certainly didn't know that. My assumption comes from the fact that I've used three different ones and all three were different in colour and how they glided on top of the paint.
Color is one of the few differences. There are slight differences in the composition of some bars, but most are similar.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

So I've decided to go with

ZFX
You don't need both Z-1 and ZFX. Get only ZFX, it is far superior to Z-1............
Old 03-13-2006, 05:43 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

Originally Posted by Crusher
Fido, I'm curious. Weren't you real big on GLARE at one time? In fact you were so defensive of it I thought you were going to be a distributor for the product. They say it last five years. Zaino claims that it's polish last 4-6 months. Why not stay with Glare? If I remember correctly you said that using Glare got you more money for your used cars. I'm not trying nor do I want to start a war here. Just wondering why Glare didn't work out for you?

good question crusher. There are actually more then 1 reasons.

The Canadian Distributor is no longer available so I am stuck ordering from Nevada. The Duties, S&H dont make it as economical as it used to be.

If I must be honest. I still havent found anything as slick and durable as GLARE. (I have ordered Zaino from what I read the dust is minimal if existant at all). but due to the wax dust GLARE creates it is not feasable for me to keep using it on customer cars as it eats up time just trying to get the dust off. Furthermore, my business has increased substantially since then (last summer) and time right now is scarce.

I am still an advocate of GLARE if its for PERSONAL use. Meaning that you are doing it on your own 1 or 2 vehicles. But unless I get paid extra I want to use a product that creates NO DUST and takes less time to apply and take off (yes, even if its not 'as good').
Old 03-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I'm fairly sure that your opinion will change once you have used Zaino as far as it not being as good as Glare. If you pay attention at all to this forum and other detail forums then you know that it is hardly ever mentioned. I don't need to tell you about how often Zaino is touted.....
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

Originally Posted by Crusher
I'm fairly sure that your opinion will change once you have used Zaino as far as it not being as good as Glare. If you pay attention at all to this forum and other detail forums then you know that it is hardly ever mentioned. I don't need to tell you about how often Zaino is touted.....

LOL... I hear you man... its the main reason I'm buying it!!

Get notified of new replies

To So I'm gonna order Zaino... but

Old 03-14-2006, 01:32 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

You can get that starter pack I believe it has everything in it except the leather cleaners, plastic and glass cleaners. Costs around $68?
Old 03-15-2006, 04:10 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

get the $84.70 kit at http://www.zainostore.com.
you don't need Z1. You do need Zfx.
you'll want to use Z7 wash - it's excellent, and definitely leaves a nice gloss on your zaino finish. Works perfectly with the other z products.

My suggestion: get that kit, then add another bottle of Z6, another bottle of Z7 (those are the two things that run out the fastest), and get one bottle of Z8 - excellent gloss enhancer.

Seems like lots of $$$ - but you'll see that supply with last a LONG time, and it's worth every penny.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:56 PM
FIDOauto
Pro

ok... my invoice looks like this and remember my fellow ---> Canadian prices are always higher.

1 Z2 PRO = $19.95
1 Z5 = $25.95
1 Z6 = $14.95
1 Z7 = $12.95
1 Z9 = $12.95
1 Z10=$18.95
1 Z12=$19.95
1 Z18=$25.95
1 ZPC=$19.95

And before you guys grill me for not getting ZFX I'll let you know.

I never have to do 1 coat after another..... and if I do, I will plan for it and make sure that it cures overnight. (a luxury you can take with 6000 sq. ft of space).....

If it comes to the point I have to order it I will.

Thanks for all the tips guys... I will be trying it out and letting you guys know.....

Quick Reply: So I'm gonna order Zaino... but