Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Car Care Discussion
Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette Sponsored by
Auto Geek

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-26-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
FunDriver
CF Senior Member
 
FunDriver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: Danville CA
Default How to clean road salt off your car?

A friend from South Dakota just bought my car. Since I live in California, I've never thought about it, but he was wondering how you clean the road salt off your car during winter.

Any ideas?
FunDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:05 PM   #2
Rube66
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: The North Shore IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunDriver
A friend from South Dakota just bought my car. Since I live in California, I've never thought about it, but he was wondering how you clean the road salt off your car during winter.

Any ideas?
I wash it the same as I do during the rest of the year and use a high quality car wash like Zaino, plus I do the following;

1) I do it more frequently.
2) I really make a point of hosing off the wheel wells and undercarriage as best as possible.

Rube66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #3
70454
CF Senior Member
 
70454's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Southeastern PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube66
I wash it the same as I do during the rest of the year and use a high quality car wash like Zaino, plus I do the following;

1) I do it more frequently.
2) I really make a point of hosing off the wheel wells and undercarriage as best as possible.

Lots of fresh water.
70454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
FunDriver
CF Senior Member
 
FunDriver's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2001
Location: Danville CA
Default

Do you hoist it on a rack? It seems like it would be kind of hard to wash everything if it weren't in the air some.

Also, has this worked well enough that you haven't had any problems? That is what we kind of discussed...just trying to wash as much as possible, but I didn't know if that would be good enough.

I also don't know how much damage the salt can do in what period of time.
FunDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
Rube66
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: The North Shore IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunDriver
Do you hoist it on a rack? It seems like it would be kind of hard to wash everything if it weren't in the air some.

Also, has this worked well enough that you haven't had any problems? That is what we kind of discussed...just trying to wash as much as possible, but I didn't know if that would be good enough.

I also don't know how much damage the salt can do in what period of time.

If I had a rack/hoist, we wife would kick me out of the house. I would be detailing all of our cars on a regular basis!

I will just get down on one knee and with the highest pressure shoot the underside from the front of the car to the rear as best as I can and use plenty of water. I have been driving my car alot this season in IL with plenty of salt on the road. My car was on a lift last weekend for an oil change and it looked great underneath, so I happy with the results without lifting the car.

In answer to your salt/damage question; Salt is pretty much the worst thing for paint/metal on the earth. Its best to remove it as often as possible.
Rube66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
agentf1
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
 
agentf1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2000
Location: The King of Bling
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube66
I wash it the same as I do during the rest of the year and use a high quality car wash like Zaino, plus I do the following;

1) I do it more frequently.
2) I really make a point of hosing off the wheel wells and undercarriage as best as possible.



Hose the #$%^ out of it before you start washing.

3 bucket method, 1 for soap and water, 1 for rinsing your mitt and 1 for wheels.

Rinse mitt frequently.

Plenty of Z7 for lubricity.

Keep it well Zaino'd.

Plan on polishing any scratches and swirls left by grit in the spring with something like Fusion (ZPC).

Maybe try one of those foam guns, I am sure they will help.
agentf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:03 PM   #7
John Ulrich
CF Senior Member
 
John Ulrich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Location: Eagan, MN USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rube66
In answer to your salt/damage question; Salt is pretty much the worst thing for paint/metal on the earth. Its best to remove it as often as possible.
You don't drive'em in the winter if you love'em!!!!!

That's what "beaters" are for. Kinda nice when you are younger, not having to worry if your $500 beater is going to rust worse than it already is.
As you get older and have daily drivers or company cars you end up trying to keep them clean and rust free.
From the rust belt,
JU
John Ulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Rube66
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: The North Shore IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ulrich
You don't drive'em in the winter if you love'em!!!!!

That's what "beaters" are for. Kinda nice when you are younger, not having to worry if your $500 beater is going to rust worse than it already is.
As you get older and have daily drivers or company cars you end up trying to keep them clean and rust free.
From the rust belt,
JU
I'm lucky. My Daily Driver is an 04 M3, but I just got the C6 in December and there is now way I'm going to let her sit in the garage on a nice sunny day. I have a 60 mile round trip communte and its a blast to drive, not that the M3 isn't an awesome car, but the vette is new and I want to play.

I make sure she is always clean!
Rube66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
skipperhead
CF Member
 
skipperhead's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Default

I just had a hot/cold faucet installed with garage access...lots of water and frequent hose offs...I drive it thru all Boston winters...lost only 3 days last year with snow on the road
skipperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
RocketDawg
CF Senior Member
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: Madison (Huntsville) Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to RocketDawg
Default

I would think that a Corvette would suffer fewer adverse effects from salt (meaning rust, not scratches) than other cars since it has a 'plastic' body and most of the stuff underneath is aluminum.
RocketDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 PM   #11
John Ulrich
CF Senior Member
 
John Ulrich's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Location: Eagan, MN USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg
I would think that a Corvette would suffer fewer adverse effects from salt (meaning rust, not scratches) than other cars since it has a 'plastic' body and most of the stuff underneath is aluminum.
My first vette was 10 years old (1970 model) when I bought it and the underside was welded shut by rust. Forget alignments, changing shocks required the rears to be cut off with a torch and new bolts welded on!!! The windshield leaked thru the rust holes behind the glass.
I love the old ones but they have be salt free!!!

Later,
JU
John Ulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:23 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > General Corvette Topics > Car Care Discussion
Reload this Page How to clean road salt off your car?
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
body, c5, california, car, cars, clean, cleaning, corvette, damage, neutralizer, remove, road, roads, salt, saltoff


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2