Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

For those of you using CRSpotless

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default For those of you using CRSpotless

Thanks guys for introducing me to this! I've decided to put yet another dent into my wallet and get this system, but do not know which one to get? Is the 300 gallon system overkill? I own two SUV's and wash them every few weeks or so, so this will get used with them and on the vette... I just don't know how much water one actually uses to rinse their car, 1 gallon, 3 gallons?? Thanks again!
Old 02-07-2006, 12:09 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I would probably go with the 300 gallon unit.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:35 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

I picked up a DL100 in July and I'm still on the original filters, I put it away for winter in Nov. (2 washes a week average) You do inset a restrictor to limit the flow to 1.5 or 2 gpm. I do not "waste" water like I used to. I ran a bypass so I can switch nozzles and hit a button bypass and run "straight" water thru the hose it to save running to thru the filter.
I added a (www.lonn.net) water saver model L to help "sheet" the water. I do not use a regular spray nozzle with the restricted flow.

Later,
JU
Old 02-08-2006, 01:55 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I want one of these, but haven't gotten around to picking one up yet. However I just got a black DD and my wife wants a black car so it should be on my "to get" list real soon.

When I was researching getting one I came across this article. I would suggest trying it before buying a new filter. If memory serves me correctly from talking to a few CR Spotless owners, the filters are the resin type right? Anyway...worth a try before spending the chunk of change on a new filter (for me anyway):

Filter "recharge"

At any rate, I can't wait to get one. The water here is pretty bad. I hooked up a pressure washer to spray the driveway (brand new one). When I came back to use it again for the second time the outlet was white from buildup after one use.

Rob

Rob
Old 02-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Robbo
Drifting

John,

So when you say you ran a bypass... does that put water through the hose on the output side of the filter? Meaning after you switch back to filtered water is it coming through the same hose? If so, are your cars COMPLETELY spot free? I just ask because after seeing the pressure washer hose mentioned above being caked with calcium after one use I thought perhaps when I got the CR that I should buy a new hose dedicated soley for that purpose. I've wondered if using the same hose is a big enough deal to worry about....

Rob
Old 02-08-2006, 09:12 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Rob,

You have some "wild" water if you have buildup after one use!!!
You might want to have a water company check it out so you know what you're dealing with. I'm sure you have a water softener now for the house.
Yes, I use one hose with a bypass set up to avoid the filter. I have a shutoff on the filter end to make sure I turn it off so It does not end up on the wife's flowers!
With 2 black vehicles you'll need something to keep from going crazy trying to prevent spotting.
JU
Old 02-09-2006, 05:41 AM
gasboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 300 g.system is supposed to be here tomorrow.can't wait to try it out.of course it's going to be in the 30's with snow flurries so i guess i'll have to wait.i hate winter.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:29 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

I would get the 300 gallon unit, we were sent the 100 gallon unit for testing, it works great, I will buy the 300 gallon unit after we finish our testing.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:01 AM
gasboy
Racer

well,300g unit arrived yesterday.now we are supposed to get 8-14" of snow today.some flurry! i hate winter more than anybody.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Robbo
Drifting

THAT'S THE WORST! New toy and can't play. I ordered a plasma TV, mount and accessories. Was told it would arrive Wed-Fri. UPS man came yesterday as promised... with the mount and accessories. Called up and it looks like the TV hasn't even shipped yet Had to call my buddies all set to come over today and say "Sorry...no go...".

Hope you enjoy it once the weather warms up. We sold my wife's car yesterday and are shopping for a replacement today. She wants black which will make 2 black cars for us (6 months ago if you had asked me I would've said that I'll NEVER own a black car).... so needless to say I'm picking one of these up (probably a 300 gal)... if I'm going to have to wash both cars more than weekly I want one of these things.

Rob
Old 02-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Rob,

You have some "wild" water if you have buildup after one use!!!
You might want to have a water company check it out so you know what you're dealing with. I'm sure you have a water softener now for the house.
Yes, I use one hose with a bypass set up to avoid the filter. I have a shutoff on the filter end to make sure I turn it off so It does not end up on the wife's flowers!
With 2 black vehicles you'll need something to keep from going crazy trying to prevent spotting.
JU
Thanks for the clarification. I agree on the going crazy part! The day I picked up my DD I drove home from the dealership (about 30 miles) and when arriving home I realized there were dirt marks thrown up from the tires... I knew then that I'd be cleaning this thing a lot... then the wife says "I want a black car too" and I started doing this --> Oh well, I think with a CR Spotless it won't be as big of a deal. Trying to dry the car and then having to go back 3 times to get the water trails from stuff out of the trim,body moulding, mirrors etc. was the worst part of washing. Even when I used the "sheeting method" and a leaf blower it would always come out of those parts...

Rob
Old 02-11-2006, 11:41 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Robbo
Trying to dry the car and then having to go back 3 times to get the water trails from stuff out of the trim,body moulding, mirrors etc. was the worst part of washing. Even when I used the "sheeting method" and a leaf blower it would always come out of those parts...
That's the beauty of deionized water drips...they dry clear! Unfiltered water drips would dry white on my black DD(mini van). Even blowing out the water hiding areas you still get drips a couple of hours later!

Later,
JU
Old 02-23-2006, 01:29 AM
Sir Sel
Pro

Just ordered the system yesterday. Sure hope it works as advertised. I've got too many vehicles to wait for ideal times of the day for washing.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:15 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html

We recently started to carry some in-line water filters also. But I do not pretend to understand the technology (guess the water in Fl is ok). Are these units the same as the spotless units, or simply water softners and mineral removers ?? Seems like they all really do the same thing, reduce the minerals and calcium in water that otherwise burn onto the finish when water dries.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Robbo
Drifting

I just saw those on your website and came to ask if anyone had used them. They look a lot like the CR spotless system.

Will be interested to hear if someone has some experiences with these. Looks like the CR Spotless is a lot bigger....

Maybe I should be the "guinnea pig".

Rob
Old 02-24-2006, 04:56 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbo
I just saw those on your website and came to ask if anyone had used them. They look a lot like the CR spotless system.

Will be interested to hear if someone has some experiences with these. Looks like the CR Spotless is a lot bigger....

Maybe I should be the "guinnea pig".

Rob
I will be testing and reviewing both systems. My CRSpotless came in today.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:54 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Zano,
I'd like to hear how a foam gun (did I read you have one?) works with a CR.
Since you need to slow down the water flow (to let the water travel thru the filters to do it's job) I was wondering how the output thru a gun flowed...no doubt slower, but worth it?
Love my CR.
Thanks,
JU

Get notified of new replies

To For those of you using CRSpotless

Old 02-24-2006, 10:37 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a foam gun yet.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:38 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Zano,
I'd like to hear how a foam gun (did I read you have one?) works with a CR.
Since you need to slow down the water flow (to let the water travel thru the filters to do it's job) I was wondering how the output thru a gun flowed...no doubt slower, but worth it?
Love my CR.
Thanks,
JU

Don't know if a foam gun differs at all (they just attach to a pressure washer right?)...but they show a customer using the CR with a pressure washer on the CR site. seems to have enough flow for that. (he's using the 300 gal model).

CR with pressure washer

Rob
Old 02-27-2006, 05:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I asked Jason to give me a little more info on the difference between Deionizer and In-Line Filters. Heres the deal as far as we can tell:

A deionizer removes all positively and negatively charged ions, exchanging them for hydrogen and hydroxide ions. Whatever is in the water will be removed. It will remove calcium and magnesium just like a water softener, but it will also remove sodium, silica, carbon, and all other dissolved ions.

Deionizers are usually reserved for drinking water because a lot of what they remove isn’t bad for a car. Hospitals and laboratories typically need deionized water, sometimes called “medical grade water”. Deionized water certainly won’t hurt a car but it doesn’t offer any real benefits to a car. Water softeners are more cost effective if you’re just going to use it for your car.

A water softener removes calcium and magnesium from the water to “soften” it. Soft water prevents water spots. Some people are concerned that the water softener puts sodium into the water and that this will cause their vehicles to rust. It won’t happen. The amount of sodium is minimal. It’s about 8 mg/liter for each grain of hardness per gallon of water hardness. Basically, a gallon of milk has more sodium than a gallon of softened water.

Quick Reply: For those of you using CRSpotless