Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Towel preferences...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Towel preferences...

So I'm in need of some new towels for my black C6.

My fiancee got me some microfiber towels fro Autozon, but I was looking at the tag and they are 80% polyester, 20% polyamide (or something like that)...

I know a lot of people seem to love microfiber...but I thought 100% cotton was better...

Do you guys use cotton microfiber towels or regular 100% cotton towels?

I know Zaino doesn't recommend the microfibers, but it seems a majority of people here use them anyways...

I'm thinking of going to Target and picking up some regular 100%, USA made bath towels...
Old 02-02-2006, 12:22 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB
I know Zaino doesn't recommend the microfibers,
... that's because Sal knows it will scratch the hell out of your finish, and make his product look bad.

I'm thinking of going to Target and picking up some regular 100%, USA made bath towels...
.. Yup --- that's what you need to do.

Some of the pros in here really like HIGH QUALITY microfiber. But I'm not a pro and in my hands any synthetic fiber just causes spider webbing and scratches. Stick with the cotton -- Sal Zaino knows -- listen to what he tells you.

Technically the DF towels are sold as "microfiber", but they are 100% cotton. Other than that, all the "microfibers" you'll buy are going to be polyester and polyamide -- made out of dead dinosaurs. Don't gamble - stay with USA cotton.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:55 AM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Thanks Bug...somehow I knew you'd be the first to reply!

And ya...I've been using microfiber for a couple weeks, and starting to notice more webbing so I think I'm going to toss them and get 100% cotton USA bath towels and stick with those.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:44 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Microfiber check out adamspolishes.com

look I too used zaino 100% cotton towels that I trimmed the edges on ( I was very faithful) .For four years this was my choice.

When I sold my vet ( Quick Silver Vert ) and got a black mini cooperS and black SSr I tried my friends micro fiber and then a Zaino distributors micro towel and then adams stuff..Look I am a fanatic.

I clay bar my vehicles I wash ,dawn etc.

I use to california blade till I got scratches from an unclean blade ( very hard to detect in a light color like silver), but black

So now I use big I mean large micro towels and adams detail spray while the car is still wet!! The less times you have to come in contact with the surface the better it will look good ( Logical not scientific) Then I blow dry with torco vac and micro fiber towel to pickup excess with a little adams detail spray on the micro fiber.

And when I dust with the california duster (this one is a virgin) . Only touched the Z, no sharing with other cars.

One
I mean just 1 small rock will cause alot of hurt. be extremly diligent in not letting your tools get contaminated.

Oh and one last thing , no more dust is created in my garage by USA cotton towels. try it both ways and u decide. But if you are gonna get the best cotton towels then u must get the best microfiber too. Not sure if target has those.

And as an added bonus appling polish and waxes with the porter cable can be of loads of fun and you will accomplish more faster! (Must have stereo on load to fully enjoy)

Once you go micro on Black you won't go back

above vehicles done in microfiber with adams polishes , below vehicles were done with 100% cotton towels and Zaino

Let us know what you choose., and have fun while your at it
Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its scratch resistance has a lot to do with the way the fibres are processed and spun, there are too many factors to be able to say conclusively that natural fibres will not cause scratches and artificial fibres will. In my opinion, however, natural fibres are far less likely to scratch, flannel or cotton flannel is a very tight weave and it could scratch as it mats down easily, always try to stay with a terrycloth weave. (DF Alpine™ http://www.dftowel.com) is exceptionally soft, super absorbent terrycloth. The fabric is woven from a blend of micro fibre cotton and Pima Cotton; no artificial fibres of any kind are used in the weaving or sewing of this product.

For more information on cotton-http://www.supima.com/faq/index.htm)
Old 02-02-2006, 07:17 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Good quality microfibers should NOT add any scratches or marring to a finish. You need to treat them differently than standard towels, in that there must be washed seperately, they must never see fabric softner, and they must never be dried with high heat. Holding a quality microfiber against a standard store bought unit will clearly show the difference. Also keeping them away from dust, dirt, and environmental issues while not in use is a must, as they attract and capture these items which could lead to scratching.

As for Target, and the 100% cotton towels. Forget it. They are NOT 100% cotton, as the ribbing and the decorative edging and patterns are made with a combo of its including polyester. You will do more damage to black paint with these than anything else. Its very hard to find any totally true 100% Supima cotton towels any longer.

So use quality micros, follow the directions and use the specific ones for the job intended (ex. drying towel = waffle weave), and care for them properly and you should have no problems.

Here are a couple I could NOT do without:

http://www.autogeek.net/waffle-weave-drying-towel.html (drying)
http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-microfiber-towel.html (wax/polish removal : six pack avail)
Old 02-02-2006, 12:01 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Killr, I took your advice and ordered the 6pack and that drying towel as well. I'll give them a shot and post the results upon their arrival.

Thanks!

For now I'll continue to have nightmares about the swirls...
Old 02-02-2006, 12:44 PM
all4fun
Instructor

I am with Killerwheels.... The Cobra Super Plush Microfiber Towel is hands down the best towel I have put my hands on. Not to mention it is very reasonable when you buy the 6 pack!
Old 02-02-2006, 01:37 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Is the Guzzler like a chamois? Or is it more like a towel?

I mean, when it's wet do you just ring it out like a chamois and keep using or does it just get wet like a towel that you then have to dry...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:06 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Killr, I took your advice and ordered the 6pack and that drying towel as well. I'll give them a shot and post the results upon their arrival.

Thanks!

For now I'll continue to have nightmares about the swirls...
My little hint, after washing them and drying them (remember low, low heat) put them in a zip lock. Or buy a small cabinet (with doors) and use it as storage only for your micro's. Puppies are always ready for use, and no dirt or dust on them. DONT EVER ONCE, DRY THEM WITH ANY OTHER LAUNDRY.

The grey cabinet on the far right is ONLY used for microfiber or "car towels". Nothing else is allowed to enter it, and wife was once replaced when she neglected to move towels from dryer (after careful folding) into the cabinet IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 02-02-2006 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:08 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Is the Guzzler like a chamois? Or is it more like a towel?

I mean, when it's wet do you just ring it out like a chamois and keep using or does it just get wet like a towel that you then have to dry...
Guzzler is nothing like a chamois. It is a microfiber with a cross-braided pattern to pull water (not wax, not dirt, not polish) away from the surface and trap it. If you got the large one (link I provided above) you will NOT need to wring it out while doing a Vette. I did Bob's (owner of Autogeek) daughters little Volvo -40 with it, and the darn towel didnt even seem damp.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:13 PM
jrzyvet
Keeping Cool
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We only use microfiber towels at my car wash. They do not add to the spider webbing in the paint. You get spider webs in your paint from many things in our daily lives. Spider webs are stress marks caused by heat. If you wash your car while it is hot and then dry it, you will add to the stress in the paint. We have never scratched a cars finish or added to its spider webs with the microfibers.
** note ** you should not wash your car with dish washing soap. You should always use a soap that is less aggressive. I have been washing and detailing cars for over 15 years and the micro fiber towel was the best thing invented.

Remember the best time to wash your car is when the sun is not out or when you have access to shade.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:15 PM
jrzyvet
Keeping Cool
Support Corvetteforum!

Default One More thing

You should never wash your towels with home detergent either. There are products that are added to them and they will streak your car and cause paint problems. If you can not get your hands on car wash towel soap then just use hot water and amonia. The amonia will pull all the wax, grease and dirt out of your towels.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:22 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jrzyvet
I have been washing and detailing cars for over 15 years and the micro fiber towel was the best thing invented
In good fun I would challenge this, and state for the record that I think that "clay" is the single greatest achievement in detailing. But top ten, micro's place very well. Who ever actually thought to wax a car originally, did he know what he was going to start
Old 02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
jrzyvet
Keeping Cool
Support Corvetteforum!

I agree. Clay has taken detailing to another level. Thank Japan for this product. In the old days it was kerosene and then a high speed wheel with wool. All we really did was burn the fallout into the paint. No we get to remove it first and preserve the finish.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:18 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

holy crap !
TicketBait -- your cars look astounding !!
takes a pro to keep black like that!
maybe my next vette will be black
Old 02-02-2006, 09:31 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bugman
holy crap !
TicketBait -- your cars look astounding !!
takes a pro to keep black like that!
maybe my next vette will be black
Yes, it does not get any better than a black C6 Z06. Very sinister looking.

Get notified of new replies

To Towel preferences...

Quick Reply: Towel preferences...