Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How Do I Keep From Scratching the Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 AM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Default How Do I Keep From Scratching the Paint?

I've had my Monterey Red coupe for about a month, have washed it 3 times, and am already seeing fine scratches in the paint. The dealer applied a coat of sealant and I immediately added another coat of Rejex. I'm using new microfiber towels for both washing and drying and am careful what I wash first (horizontal surfaces, windows, etc.) and last (lower sides, back end, around wheel wells, etc).

Is there something I can do differently to reduce scratching? Woiuld a lambswool wash mit or other tools make a difference?

HELP!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 AM
bobdt173
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I would ditch the microfiber towels I have had problems with them scratching my 98 vette. These were quality MF towels to.
Bob
Old 01-16-2006, 01:26 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

It's good you were sharp enough to notice. A few things
  • 1. most definitely buy a sheepskin mitt.
  • rinse the mitt frequently
  • buy a "Grit Guard", sold at THE GEEK, or in the combo deal I got. It helps OR...
  • Use two buckets - one to rinse out the mitt with plain water, the other to soak your mitt and refill it with soapy water
  • use only 100% cotton to apply your wax/sealant, and to remove same

Many will disagree with me, but I really think that the synthetic microfiber is a big problem if you're using it to detail. Use 100% cotton. Also, using synthetic sponges and chamois cloths can be a problem as well. GEt that mitt, and of course don't use it on the wheel wells or wheels etc - keep it clean to use only on the body panels.

And it's a good time to think about getting a PC7424 so you can remove those scratches when the time comes that they start to bother you.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:44 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

click on pic.
I got this thing last year, and I really like it. I actually switched to this and just stopped carrying two buckets - just rinse the mitt with the hose once in a while and use this with the grit guard.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Kevin V
Pro

It is a reason why I only use the DFTowels on my car. Develop a soft touch too, there is no reason to ever rub hard on the surface.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:09 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

All great advice above...

I would also recommend using a Leaf Blower to dry your car. I have a 220 mph Electric Toro Leaf Blower and it works great. If you car is freshly Zaino'd it will practically blow it perfectly dry. I then follow up with a pakshak waffle weave drying towel to get they few remaining spots of water. The less you touch it the less chance of scratching it.

I also second using the Sheep Skin mitt but have to say that I used a sponge for washing for years and never had a problem. I think it is more in your method. Use 2 BIG buckets, 1 for the wheels, one for the body. Work top down (roof first, then hood, trunk, top of side, bottom of side etc), rub top down so the grit falls. I try to never rub up the side it is always top to bottom, top to bottom and occasionally go horizonal if needed but never reverse direction. Rinsing sponge/mitt frequently.

Store your MF's in plastic bags so they do not get grit in them while sitting on shelf. I would also do the CD test to make sure you have good quality MF. I really like DFTowels for removing my LSP, although I think they suck for drying.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:36 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

another thing to do if your crazy like me is buy a gilmour foam gun. foam gun It is meant to fopam chemical cleaners but does a great job of producing a lot of soap foam. More soap foam better lubricting and floats the dirt off. Less wash scratches. I agree with bugman, The porta cable is great for polishing
Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by dashotgun
another thing to do if your crazy like me is buy a gilmour foam gun. foam gun It is meant to fopam chemical cleaners but does a great job of producing a lot of soap foam. More soap foam better lubricting and floats the dirt off. Less wash scratches. I agree with bugman, The porta cable is great for polishing
Where did you find (purchase) your foam gun?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:39 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

I got lucky and bought it off of ebay. or go here:

http://www.automagic.biz/accessories/miscorder.htm

Last edited by dashotgun; 01-16-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:01 PM
all4fun
Instructor

Just a side note, that bucket is great if you have a bad back, I use it to sit on when detailing. You can just roll around the car.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by agentf1
All great advice above...

I would also recommend using a Leaf Blower to dry your car. I have a 220 mph Electric Toro Leaf Blower and it works great. If you car is freshly Zaino'd it will practically blow it perfectly dry. I then follow up with a pakshak waffle weave drying towel to get they few remaining spots of water. The less you touch it the less chance of scratching it.
This is really handy, and I would add that if you already have a leaf blower that you also use to vacuum the yard, get a dedicated one that you only use to blow the car. Also, if you get a gas one make sure it doesn't vent it's exhuast as part of the airflow.

Rob
Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM
4GTABODT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Mississauga, Ontario Corvettes were built to be driven...not trailered
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

I use the McGuires soft brush. I know it sounds crazy but it works. When you put it the pail you shake all the fine grimy stuff off while its submerged. Go the the mcguire website for more details
Old 01-17-2006, 09:55 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Good Point About The Maguire's Brush!

I got one for my girlfriend to use on the higher parts of her new SUV and it not only works great but never leaves any scratches on her paint. Very soft material and only cost about $10.00!

Get notified of new replies

To How Do I Keep From Scratching the Paint?

Quick Reply: How Do I Keep From Scratching the Paint?