Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Poorboys Natty Blue (carnuba)-- Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:15 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Poorboys Natty Blue (carnuba)-- Review

http://www.autogeek.net/nattys-blue.html

I snagged a free container of this wax at Detailfest, and have been watching it for more than a month and wanting to try it. The bubblegum smell is intoxicating itself , but onto the wax. I will be the first to tell you that I did NOT like the original Natty's all that well. Never thought it matched the look of Pinnacles Paste Wax (its closest competitor), or P21S personally. Certainly nowhere near Souveran as the the king of carnubas or the Sig Series replacement for Paste Glaz.

I have seen many on the detailing forums say that the new Natty Blue is a serious competitor for Souveran, so no choice but to use it on the Black Vette for a true comparision. I gotta say I am impressed, not that it provides as close comparision to Souveran as some suggest, but this is a darn impressive little tub of carnuba at its current price point (its currently under 20.00). Souveran is clearly worth its price point ($40-60) and I would say that Poorboys could seriously play in the ($25-30 area). Essentially this is the impressive little Kia (Nattys Blue) that challenges Toyota (P21S)based on similar looks, options, but costing much less. Not that either would compete with Corvette (Souveran) directly for instance.

Poorboys claims it has some filling ability, and probably why it slightly muted compared to Souveran, but beneficial to most car care buffs that have some minor swirls or marring that cannot receive immediate polishing attention. My finish is almost perfect prior to application, so I did not really train my eyes of its filling ability. I personally still prefer to polish versus fill, as temporary solutions only mean its necessary to readdress the issue.

I would easily use it over Mothers pure carnuba, Megs 26, and P21S and over any store bought wax. It does not have the intial depth of Souveran or the wetness, though it surely does look carnuba wet at least initially and has a nice glow and 3D appearance. Wipe on and off is Poorboys standard with ease of use and very little streaking. (slightly damp towel will remove it quickly). Very little dust, and no real staining on any rubber surrounds that I can tell currently.

After a week in the Florida winter sun (only 78-80's ) it appears to have held up well. I will wash it with DP's wash and probably provide a coat of Crystal Mist as needed. (I found the Poorboys Gloss Spray to be streak bad on black, although told I should/could dilute it from Poorboys directly). Probably still switch back to Souveran Paste shortly but this is clearly a very good carnuba based product. At its price point this is one little tub that should be on everyones short list to try, at least from a carnuba standpoint.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 01-15-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:33 PM
okies93
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor 06

Interesting!
Old 01-21-2006, 10:34 PM
exile
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you know of any dealer giving Pinnacle Souveran up for less than $60. presently? I've got to try it on my red Z. I've been using NB and love it, but if PS is that much better, then I have to spring for it soon. I saw it for $39. before Christmas and should have gone for it then. When will they lighten up on the price again? Does this stuff come and go in cycles? I have seen something about limited supply.........Tom
Old 01-22-2006, 10:29 AM
footba4672
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by exile
Do you know of any dealer giving Pinnacle Souveran up for less than $60. presently? I've got to try it on my red Z. I've been using NB and love it, but if PS is that much better, then I have to spring for it soon. I saw it for $39. before Christmas and should have gone for it then. When will they lighten up on the price again? Does this stuff come and go in cycles? I have seen something about limited supply.........Tom

try wolfgang paint sealant and then top with Pinnacle....it really shines the paint sealent gives long lasting protection
Old 01-22-2006, 11:41 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by exile

The Souveran Paste is not currently on sale at any of our sites, although www.pinnaclewax.com offers free shipping currently and forum discount applies (use couponcode). I have forwarded your request to the home office, and we will see if it can be included in the near future.

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souvinkit.html
This is a darn good offer also. 50.00 off the kit (if you need addtl items) and with couponcode saves another 9.95 and free shipping. Might be worth considering
Old 01-22-2006, 03:03 PM
exile
Racer

When it comes to detailing products, sometime I can't help myself. Thanks to you, I ordered the kit. Thanks for the link. I needed some Crystal Mist anyway. Pretty fair price all things considered..........Tom
Old 01-30-2006, 01:38 PM
all4fun
Instructor

Originally Posted by footba4672
try wolfgang paint sealant and then top with Pinnacle....it really shines the paint sealent gives long lasting protection
This is also my personal favorite!

Get notified of new replies

To Poorboys Natty Blue (carnuba)-- Review

Quick Reply: Poorboys Natty Blue (carnuba)-- Review