Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:19 PM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Default Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Call Autogeek.net and got a bottle of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Anyone have any experiences with this product?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:13 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

see my PM for comments. Several on board use it exclusively. Let me suggest using the wash and Spritz to complement it and keep it protecting on average for 4 months per application. You can layer it, and use a carnuba topper (like Pinnacle Souveran) as wanted. It has a warmer appearance than most paint sealants on the market that is pleasing to carnuba lovers that need longer protection.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:12 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 873 Likes on 436 Posts

experience? yes, I've used it...
Impressions?? without saying "the best",,, how about this:

clear, crisp clean shine, slick, deep glossy appearance...

ONLY if your paint/clearcoat is properly prepped & clean....

Perfect after your car has been clayed...

Pure, optically clear, precise........

10 out of 10... BUT, your car's finish MUST BE 100% PURE before using!
Old 01-15-2006, 12:19 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

It has great initial slickness and appearance and is really easy to use. After the oils wash off, those attributes fade quickly.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:40 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

have used it - and very impressed also with it's deep gloss.
I had some trouble, though, when I would apply it in poor lighting conditions, then notice the next day a few places I missed -- if you let it on your paint and make a mistake like that and let the sun bake it in a bit, it's pretty tough to get off. So don't be a numbskull like me -- use REALLY good lighting and make sure you get it all off the first time.

It's good stuff. I think Killrwheels and ZaneO are both correct. Durability somewhere between a carnauba and a sealant like Zaino. It would be good to have a spray topper to liven up the shine after a few weeks -- I don't know which product goes best with it (?)

killrwheels?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:41 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ZaneO
It has great initial slickness and appearance and is really easy to use. After the oils wash off, those attributes fade quickly.

I also call what some people call a warm look as a milky look, atleast on black. I have to disagree with Yo-El about its optical clarity. Dude, everything/anything looks good on pewter, get a black car.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:36 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bugman
It would be good to have a spray topper to liven up the shine after a few weeks -- I don't know which product goes best with it (?)

killrwheels?

The Wolfgang Spray Sealant has been improved (anyone that had the intial test kit will remember where the cologne smell counter-reacted with the gloss agents and needed to be immediately updated) once again and now contains over twice the original polymers. It truly helps keep durability on track with other sealants. Like Z8 and other newer spray sealants, you will see a marked difference after curing time. I have used Clearkote, Sonus (acrylic), Four Starr, and Crystal Mist (carnuba) over Wolfgang with nice success.

As for milky, never seen that. But when it comes to a black car, I too prefer a more reflective look. Thus I prefer Four Star UPP on a black car specifically, and Wolfgang on metallics and lighter colors. We had two cars (red and black) at Detailfest that looked absolutely gorgeous after Wolfgang so to each their own.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:44 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
The Wolfgang Spray Sealant has been improved (anyone that had the intial test kit will remember where the cologne smell counter-reacted with the gloss agents and needed to be immediately updated) once again and now contains over twice the original polymers. It truly helps keep durability on track with other sealants. Like Z8 and other newer spray sealants, you will see a marked difference after curing time. I have used Clearkote, Sonus (acrylic), Four Starr, and Crystal Mist (carnuba) over Wolfgang with nice success.

As for milky, never seen that. But when it comes to a black car, I too prefer a more reflective look. Thus I prefer Four Star UPP on a black car specifically, and Wolfgang on metallics and lighter colors. We had two cars (red and black) at Detailfest that looked absolutely gorgeous after Wolfgang so to each their own.
Oh my god, we actually agree on something.

I have always said, if you want to see if you are doing something right try it on a black car, it will let you know right away if your process is right or wrong.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:11 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Scott

Maybe I'm being thick, but, are you suggesting that Four Star UPP (whatever that is) would be better on my black C6? I was all set to have my detailer use the Wolfgang product from Autogeek.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2006, 10:23 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by schilitj
I was all set to have my detailer use the Wolfgang product from Autogeek.
What happened to Souveran or Zaino? Wolfgang will be a compromise in either direction, IMO.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:32 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ZaneO
What happened to Souveran or Zaino? Wolfgang will be a compromise in either direction, IMO.

From what little I gleened from all of this is that Pinnacle Souveran will lose its luster after 4-5 weeks and that Zaino gives off a very plastic look on black cars.

I've owned vettes since 93 and have usually waxed them myself using Maguires, going to show my C6 (1st time ever event for me) and I'm trying to get the best advice that will make my C6 stand out from the others.

I'm not knocking any wax/sealant, just trying to figure out which would be best for me.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:36 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Scott

Maybe I'm being thick, but, are you suggesting that Four Star UPP (whatever that is) would be better on my black C6? I was all set to have my detailer use the Wolfgang product from Autogeek.

Jeff
If you like the warmer look of a carnuba, then the Wolfgang is the choice if you prefer a sealant. (we were originally discussing Pinnacle Souveran which is a carnuba). If you prefer the look of sealant (very reflective mirror) then UPP is the way to go. Didnt Bob actually offer Wolfgang as I thought you and I specifically discussed Souveran at least at first??

UPP competes with Z very well in looks(nobody locally could tell the difference with our blind tests on finish and reflectivity, only that UPP feels much slicker originally) but Z will outpace it in durability two-fold. UPP's ease of use (no need to add a curing agent) and the difference in durability is non-existant to us personally as we all detail regularly anyways. In Florida's summer a sealant is a very good choice to deal with the elements. All are great choices ... each with strengths and weaknesses.

But please remember, its your car and the look "you" want to achieve that will be most beneficial to you. Personally there is no better than Souveran currently. (that is considering you properly prep the finish first) The weakness is you will need to use it more often, the benefit is your car will win shows !!

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 01-15-2006 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:44 AM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

If you like the warmer look of a carnuba, then the Wolfgang is the choice if you prefer a sealant. (we were originally discussing Pinnacle Souveran which is a carnuba). If you prefer the look of sealant (very reflective mirror) then UPP is the way to go. Didnt Bob actually offer Wolfgang as I thought you and I specifically discussed Souveran at least at first??

Scott

You are correct, we did start of with Souveran, then Bob brought Wolfgang into the discussion. The difference, if I remember correctly, is durability: Souveran - 4-6 weeks, Wolfgang - 4-6 months.

I think I'll go with the Wolfgang. Worst that can happen is I don't like the finish.

Jeff
Old 01-15-2006, 10:50 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Scott

You are correct, we did start of with Souveran, then Bob brought Wolfgang into the discussion. The difference, if I remember correctly, is durability: Souveran - 4-6 weeks, Wolfgang - 4-6 months.

I think I'll go with the Wolfgang. Worst that can happen is I don't like the finish.

Jeff
we are clearly local (Im in Coral Springs/Margate) so worst is, you stop and pickup a tub of Souveran on the way to the show (I have two or three on hand). You can top Wolfgang and UPP with Souveran, just not the otherway. If you are talking about Reflections in Glass on the 4th ... I'll see you there and can always show early to help "prep" the car. (im just visiting versus competing, but more than willing to help)

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 01-15-2006 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:58 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Originally Posted by agentf1

Dude, everything/anything looks good on pewter, get a black car.
HAD one, why do you think I have a Pewter one now???
Old 01-15-2006, 02:33 PM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

we are clearly local (Im in Coral Springs/Margate) so worst is, you stop and pickup a tub of Souveran on the way to the show (I have two or three on hand). You can top Wolfgang and UPP with Souveran, just not the otherway. If you are talking about Reflections in Glass on the 4th ... I'll see you there and can always show early to help "prep" the car. (im just visiting versus competing, but more than willing to help)
Just might take you up on the offer. Planning on have the vette detailed on 4/3 (Friday) and then driving directly to Mission Bay. Should I have the car detailed earlier in the week to let it "cure"?
Old 01-15-2006, 03:11 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Zaino gives off a very plastic look on black cars
I bet I could tell you who told you that...

Get notified of new replies

To Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant

Old 01-15-2006, 04:04 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

From what little I gleened from all of this is that Pinnacle Souveran will lose its luster after 4-5 weeks and that Zaino gives off a very plastic look on black cars.

Zaino had a plastic look maybe in the 90's. It has come a long way and IMHO even looks better than Souveran and is also one of the most durable products on the market. Z2Pro/Z8 is an unbeatable combination IMHO. Actually Z2Pro alone is unbeatable.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:24 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Originally Posted by agentf1
Z2Pro/Z8 is an unbeatable combination IMHO. Actually Z2Pro alone is unbeatable.
I think Z2 Pro w/ Z6 is better..
Old 01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
schilitj
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Folks, thanks for all the info, as usual, too many options offered, I am going with the Wolfgang and will see what happens. Worst that can happen is that I use it as a base and put a carnuba on top of it.

Again, thanks.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant