Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino and Chemistry Degree?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino and Chemistry Degree?

I have been reading the back and forth between Zaino and Rejex, and am still confused (a normal state of mind for me). If I am looking for the easy way out, that is, buy the product, apply the product, and wipe it off, it seems that Zaino is somewhat complicated. From Zaino's website it says,

"Please note that if this is your first time using the Zaino system, ZFX or minimally Z-1 is mandatory for use with Z-2 PRO, Z-3, or Z-5."

I then looked at the application procedures describing vials, drops and mixtures, and am concluding that I cant simply buy the Z-2 Pro, wipe it on, wipe it off, let it cure and be done with it. As I understand Rejex, that is exactly what I can do.

I'm not a fanactic about this stuff. I guess I am just looking for a reasonably quick easy to apply product. Apparently Z-2 Pro is not the "out of the bottle" type of product that Rejex is.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:33 AM
C5Longhorn
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been using Zaino for about 7 years now and think its really easy to use. I wouldn't be intimidated by the steps involved.

The first application requires using a product prior to going to the straight Z2, but after that its smooth sailing. Mix some ZFX with Z2 and apply. It doesn't take long. Otherwise, apply a coat of Z1 and then immediately add a coat of Z2. You don't have to wait until it dries.

I'm haven't used Rejex so I can't comment.

In the end, polish really is a personal preference. Alot of folks on the forum will have an opinion on which one they like better.

You probably can't go wrong either way.

Rick
Old 12-28-2005, 06:48 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Wingrider,

I had the same misconceptions about Zaino myself until I talked with several people (including Sal Zaino himself).

Just a few quick tips -

ZFX is an accelerator. It reduces the wait time between coats of the "Z" product you're using. With Rejex you have to wait 12 hours between coats 1 and 2. With Zaino, you wait until it's dry, wipe it off and then you can apply another coat right away. Saves a lot of time.

As for which "Z" product to use, it depends on your vehicle. Does it have minor scratches or swirlmarks ? If it does, use the Z5 first, this will help hide them. If your finish is brand new and doesn't have these imperfections, then all you need is Z2pro.

As for the mixing in the vials. Since you're using ZFX to speed the bonding time, you just add maybe an ounce of your Z2pro to a smaller bottle (which is included with the ZFX) and a few drops of the ZFX, shake for a minute or so and you're ready to go. This extra step takes a total of 2 minutes at best. With Rejex you have to keep the car out of the elements and wait 12 hours between the first and second coat and an additional 6 hours between the second and third coats.

Regardless of which product you use, prep work is KEY to a great looking finish.

If I just bought a brand new vehicle I would do something along the lines of this routine.

Wash with Dawn dish soap
Claybar
Wash the vehicle again
Inspect the paint for scratches or swirlmarks
Apply the product of your choice.

If you do a search you can find my comparison between Rejex and Zaino which I'm still in the process of conducting.

One of the key selling points to me with Zaino is that they have an entire line of car care products that were made to be compatible with each other so it takes the guess work out of "what might harm or remove the finish I just applied"

Hope this information helps and if you have any further questions, please feel free to PM or email me.

Mike
Old 12-28-2005, 07:52 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a link to the thread I mentioned earlier.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...0&page=1&pp=20
Old 12-28-2005, 08:17 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

The benefits far out wieght the additional 2 minutes it takes to pour 1/2 oz of Zaino into a bottle and add a few drops and shake. After this is done IT IS wipe on and wipe off with the results surpassing all of the competition. You also do not have to worry about getting it on your trim and can layer it (up to 3 coats at once).
Old 12-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

Mrosa65-Thank you so much for your insights and research. I am a new Vette owner (650 miles so far), and I admit, I am becomming a bit obsessive regarding car care. I don't want to go nuts with this, at least I don't think I do, but again, your remarks and research were outstanding and very helpful. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:19 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Wingrider
Mrosa65-Thank you so much for your insights and research. I am a new Vette owner (650 miles so far), and I admit, I am becomming a bit obsessive regarding car care. I don't want to go nuts with this, at least I don't think I do, but again, your remarks and research were outstanding and very helpful. Thanks again.
Don't worry, this is normal for a new vette owner. There is nothing wrong with wanting the best for your baby and keeping her looking great. You are doing the right thing.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:59 AM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Wingrider

Glad I could be of some help. It's totally normal to be a bit obsessive when it comes to a new car, especially one as a nice as a corvette.

I just wished the previous owner was as obsessive as the rest of us when it came to car care. He did an ok job but I spent a lot of time getting the paint to where it should be before applying any sort of polish to it. Thank heaven for my Porter Cable buffer.

And let's face it, we all want to drive around in a vehicle that looks great. Besides, when it comes time to sell it for another corvette, if the finish looks awesome it will sell that much easier and we'll get more money for it.

If you haven't done so, read some of the threads about proper car care and different methods used. They have proved to be a valuable source of information as well as all the great posters in this forum.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:50 AM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

First you should know that ZFX is NOT just an accelerator for drying time so that you can "slap" more layers on your paint.

Think of the crosslinking that Zaino puts down as a chain-link fence. Z-1/ZFX tightens the links bonding the polish to your paint. The bonding is protection and adds durability. You'll also get another degree of gloss that the polish alone can not achieve.

Trust me, if Sal can achieve the same level of everything I mentioned above without having to mix two products together, he would do it in a second. THE TECHNOLOGY ISN'T THERE YET.

I respect those that choose another product because they made their decision based on some criteria. I'm assuming they did their homework and research. If they think mixing takes too much time, it makes me wonder if they really want the best product for their car OR are they looking for "the easy way out" in an unpleasant task. Either way, there is no panacea.

I've done the research over and over and over..... Zaino has a complete product line (protection, wash, leather care, glass, plastic, rubber). It can overwhelm some novices. Don't let "the volume" stop you from getting the best product on the market today for your car. Zaino is a mature product. It's taken Sal Zaino years to come up with the current formula and he continues to improve his products.

The time you gain with a "wipe-on/wipe-off" product quickly goes to zero if you have to apply it twice, three-times, etc. as you would Zaino.

Using Zaino may look complicated on the surface. After you've used it once, it's a no-brainer. You need a minimum of 4 products:
- an accelerator (Z-1 or ZFX)
- polish (Z-2Pro or Z-5)
- Z-6 or Z-8
- applicator

Once you have your initial application with Z-1/ZFX, YOU CAN USE ZAINO RIGHT OUT OF THE BOTTLE. You MUST use an accelerator:
- once every 10 polish applications
- once every 6 months on a daily driver
- once a year on a show car

I hope that simplifies the instructions for you.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:40 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

JJU,

Thanks for the excellent detailed description of how ZFX works with the other Zaino products. I was just trying to keep it simple but your explanation of how ZFX flash cures the polymers was right on the money.

I see many people post "there are so many products to buy when using Zaino" and I have to admit, I once had the same thinking until I looked at it logically.

I was already buying the following before using Zaino

Car wash soap
Quick detailing spray
leather cleaner and conditioner
Tire treatment
clay bars
Paint polish or wax
Scratch remover for the paint

So it made sense to me to purchase the products from one company that are made specifically to work together.

I'm sure glad I decided to test Zaino for myself. My car now looks terrific and I get a lot of compliments on it. My dad was over last week for a visit and he commented on how good the car looked (it was a bit dirty at the time), my response was "it's actually dirty right now so if you think it looks good, wait to you see it after I wash it".

Gotta love that Zaino shine.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:26 PM
JJU
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by mrosa65
"it's actually dirty right now so if you think it looks good, wait to you see it after I wash it".

Gotta love that Zaino shine.
You hit the nail on the head.

Excluding the nasty winter road grime that clings to every car here in Nebraska right now, I can't tell you how many people are convinced that Zaino is the way to go by looking at my daily driver ('96 Blazer) even when I consider it as being "dirty". That's something I never expected considering I only planned to use it on the 2001 C5 back in the year 2000.

The last three years have been tough on cars in the Nebraska winter. It still amazes me how well Zaino takes such a beating by the winter salt, sand, ash, muck, etc. and still beads like crazy. That's something you will probably never see being that you live in Florida. I don't recommend you come here and find that out personnally. It's good to know it's there working for you in the worst of conditions.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:28 PM
C5corvetteman
Safety Car

Prep work is the key, but it is a little time consuming for the first application of Zanio's but the results thereafter,,,the compliments are neverending.

It is not as complicated as you would think.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

The FACTS about all these Zaino steps that you all talk about. Compare apples to apples..

Zaino...mix ZFX with Z-2, apply, let dry, remove, YOUR DONE.

NXT....apply, let dry, remove

You don't need to mix ZFX again for six months. If a week later, a month later, a day later you want to put on another coat of Z-2, Z-5, or Z-2 PRO go ahead, you don't need to mix ZFX. You will have to mix ZFX to apply multiple coats in a one 24 hour period. ZFX gives the Z-2 instant cure time to allow you to do this. Another 30 seconds out of your life.

So the truth is that there is only ONE extra step every SIX MONTHS with Zaino and that step will tie you up for about 30 SECONDS of your life.

If you want to take the extra time and effort to enhance your paint even more then you can use the additional Zaino products. But Zaino is not unique in these products. Meguiars, mothers, etc., all have them.

Zaino..Z-5 Swirl Mark Filler
Meguiars..ScratchX

Zaino..Z-6 Gloss enhancer
Meguiars..Quik Detailer

Zaino....Z-18 Clay Bar
Meguiars...CLay Bar

The other statement I hear all the time...Zaino has so many products I don't know which to use. Has anyone ever counted the number of products Meguiars has. If not let me do you a favor and suggest you get a calculator to help you out when you decide to count them.

Bottom line is that the only extra step is mixing ZFX the first time and then every six months after that. And for that 30 seconds of you life you get a superior shine that outlasts anything on the market.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:27 PM
Wingrider
Burning Brakes

OK guys. I'm convinced. I ordered the Z-2 Pro, the Accelerator, and the F6 this afternoon.

Once again, thanks to all of you who took the time to advise me in this matter. Especially those who even sent me a pm regarding Zaino. It is really a credit to this group that guys would take the time out and help a newbie whom you have never met and in all likelihood never will. The CF is the greatest. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:49 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Just remember as with applying any product, good prep work is key and with Zaino, less is better than more.
Old 01-01-2006, 01:28 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

my zaino tip:
when done washing, do the "nozzle off the hose rinse trick". this will take about 95% of the water off the car, so drying is almost unnecessary.

Then spray z6 on the car as you dry it with a quality waffle weave towel. So as you're drying, you're wiping off the z6, rather than drying first, then spraying z6 on, then drying off agin. This will remove any early water spotting, and will cut your time in half .

Then go ahead and put your z2 on.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:29 AM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
my zaino tip:
when done washing, do the "nozzle off the hose rinse trick". this will take about 95% of the water off the car
Lonn makes a "Water Saver Nozzle" that does this! Bend the end and the water flows, drop it and it stops.
www.lonn.net

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino and Chemistry Degree?

Quick Reply: Zaino and Chemistry Degree?