Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How Do You Get Rid of Spider Web Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 07:45 PM
wolfmd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Do You Get Rid of Spider Web Scratches

Have a Torch Red with spider web scratches. What's the best way to get rid of them? Polish and wax? Claybar? Buffer? Help!!
Old 11-20-2005, 08:54 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Use a quality SSR like Zaino Fusion or 3m 39009 if you need to purchase locally and a PC buffer. I recomend using a foam polishing pad with your speed set @ 4.5 to 5.5. If you do not have a PC it can be done by hand but it is alot more work. I follow up with Zaino Z2p/Z8 for an unbelievable shine that cannot be beat. Do a search on Zaino, there is plenty to read on here about it.

www.zainostore.com
Old 11-20-2005, 09:43 PM
wolfmd
Pro

What is a "PC" buffer?
Old 11-20-2005, 10:34 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wolfmd
What is a "PC" buffer?
It's a Porter Cable Random Orbit buffer. You can purchase them online or locally, I found mine at Lowe's. It's Porter Cable 7336SP 6" Random Orbit Sander/Polisher Kit.

It cost me 109. It makes the job so much easier.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:57 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just in case any confusion.

SSR - scratch and swirlmark remover.
Zaino PC Fusion = Zaino brand scratch/swirl remover
3M: two products available commonly used
  • [*]
PC = Porter Cable random orbital buffer. Virtually all detailers use model #7424. The 7336 as stated above is really the same machine except a different counterweight.
Z2p = Zaino Z2 Pro. See the link agentf1 gave for more info on the Zaino product line.
foam pads: check properautocare and autogeek for some good information. You'll need orange pads for the real scratch removal, and white pads to polish the paint to its full gloss afterward.

Agentf1's post says it all. Wash with dawn , or wipe the car with alcohol first to remove old wax. Use a clay bar to remove paint contaminants. GREAT how to video here. Then compound out the scratches, polish to gloss, then seal up the paint with your favorite sealant. Zaino is my preference, along with many other guys here . I also like Wolfgang sealant and Meguiar's NXT - also popular here.

As stated above, DON'T EVEN THINK about doing this without a Porter Cable, or other brand, of buffer.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:12 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thank you for elaborating Bugman. Sorry for the brief post but it was getting late and I wanted to give a good answer but not type a book.

First I would evaluate if your car needs to be clayed. To do this put your hand in a baggie and rub it across the clean surface of your paint. If your paint needs to be clayed the baggie will amplify the grit in/on your paint and alow you to feel it better. If it feels as smooth as a babies butt move to the next step, polishing. You can use Z7 and water as your lube.

Polishing will remove any scratches and swirls in your paint. This is best done with a Porter Cable Random Orbital buffer. Like the Bugman said you can pick it up at Lowes for under 100 bucks and then you will need to get a good velcro backing plate and some good foam pads. Bugman posted some good links for that stuff too. I prefer Lake Country or Meguiars pads. Proper Auto Care is my favorite site for them since they seem to be the first ones to get the new pads when they come out and right now are the only ones that carry the Constant Pressure pads which are great for beginners. You want to keep the pad as flat as possible on your paint when buffing and the CP pads have an extra layer of soft foam that helps you do this. You also want to keep your buffer speed between 4.5 and 5.5.

After you are finished polishing you can move on to the LSP. If you used Zaino Fusion (ZPC) as your scratch remover there is no need to wash with Dawn first or do a 50/50 wipe but if you used one of the other good swirl removers like Menzerna IP and FPII or 3M you will need to do the 50/50 Alchohol and water wipe first so your Zaino bonds properly giving you the best results. Don't worry, even if you screw up and don't do things properly it will still be more durable and look better than most of the competition.

I like Zaino's applicators to apply my polish but I am sure a piece of 100% cotton towel folded into a pad would also work. First I mist my applicator with Z6, this helps it spread easier and go farther. I put a line of polish about 3" long across the pad and this will usually do an entire panel or like 1/2 the hood atleast. Rub in straight lines (go with the wind). The Zaino site reccomends doing the sides in up and down motions, I have done both ways, up and down and with the wind and have not seen a big difference so I usually go with the wind or horizonally since it is easier (for me). Wipe it off with a 100% cotton or my favorite DFTowels. My good friend Carl also offers great deals on these towels.

This is all it takes, one coat, you have blown away all the competition. Your car now looks better than anything on the street. But wait, why settle for the best when it can keep getting better. Give it a mist of Z8 and wipe off with a 100% cotton towel and it gets even deeper and wetter. You can also keep applying additional coats if you like. This will improve both the looks and durability. I know, you are going to look at it and say "how can this get any better". Believe me, it does. You will also notice a continuing improvement over the next 24 hours after you Z8 while the Z8 crosslinks.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Last edited by agentf1; 11-21-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:29 PM
wolfmd
Pro

This is all GREAT information guys. I appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. Sounds like I need to get some supplies and then block out a day to do it all.

You all have a good Thanksgiving, and again thanks for all the information.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:32 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

This is all GREAT information guys. I appreciate you taking the time to help me with this. Sounds like I need to get some supplies and then block out a day to do it all.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

I think you will find this link valuable for every specific area of your automobile. Please share it with others as needed.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:12 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

yes -- it's not really difficult, but it is surprising how the hours will pass by when you're doing this. So really start at 10 am, and have the entire afternoon free in case you run into little troubles along the way. And it's nice to have the option of keeping the car in the garage overnight so you can continue the next day, like if you want to add another layer of sealant.

After the first time, your paint will be perfect - then it will be so easy just to wash, rinse, dry, spay on a mist of z8 and you're done.

BTW --- just put a nice scratch on my hood last weekend from my $%%$# watch band. Don't be a numbskull like me -- make sure to remember to always take off wedding band and watch before you start. I can NEVER remember to do that. So I'll be out with the PC7424 this coming weekend for sure.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:27 AM
DanS711
Racer

Just a little different angle, mine is also Torch Red and I hit it with 2-3 coats of Z-5 after the SSR, then went to Z-2P and Z-8. Spider scratches are gone and it looks fantastic.
Dan

Get notified of new replies

To How Do You Get Rid of Spider Web Scratches

Quick Reply: How Do You Get Rid of Spider Web Scratches