Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Question with cleaning the rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Question with cleaning the rotors

Hey guys, I've had my 2 pc. Bear Eradispeeds for about 6 months now and have about 2k miles on them. I pulled my wheels off last night to lower the car and do some other work and noticed that the slots and holes have brakedust buildup in them. I tried to wipe it out with a rag to no avail. I'm entering my car in a fun show on saturday and would really like them to sparkle without removing them from the car, sanding them, and painting them with either silver or clear piant... Any suggestions are appreciated!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 PM
mhaber
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggest Q-tips with mineral spirits.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:27 AM
black bart
Drifting

You need to be careful about anything that has oil in it as it will soak into the pads and then you will have to replace them.
I think I would try using a aerosol can of brake cleaner put the straw at the holes and spray the brake clean will not harm the brake pads
Cover any nearby painted surface to avoid getting any cleaner on painted surface if you do flush with water
Old 10-13-2005, 07:34 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

In the Duplicolor Caliper Painting kit, there is a can of brake cleaner, which dissolves the rust right off. I've not seen it sold separately, but you might try asking at Autozone, or do a search on the web. It's good stuff.

You might also try GUNK brake cleaner. It's good for oil removal, but I haven't tried it myself for rust removal. clicky clicky
Old 10-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Dr. Dan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Any kind of brake cleaner will remove whatever Zinc plating that you have still on there. That will result in rust in the holes and slots. Been there, done that. ReZinc plating...$25 each.

Get notified of new replies

To Question with cleaning the rotors

Quick Reply: Question with cleaning the rotors