Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino review from nonbeliever - Thanks AgentF1 !

Old 07-23-2005, 03:28 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Zaino review from nonbeliever - Thanks AgentF1 !

Well, I'm a die-hard Meguiar's fan as some here may know. Have had fantastic results from the Meguiar's system for about 15 years and I'm not ready to throw it all away. But a couple quick points and questions after my first partial Zaino experience.

First Thanks AgentF1 ! -- out of nowhere he just decided to send me a bottle of Z5 . Super cool ! So, where I would have never tried it otherwise, hell if it was for free, I gave it a go today:
  • dawn wash
  • clay
  • wash again
  • dry
  • one coat of Z5 - that's it.

Nothing fancy, no all day process. Took no more, no less effort than using NXT, which I happen to think is excellent also.The results were very very good -- even though this is only one coat, even though I did not use their Z1 polish lock - or whatever the hell it is. Even though I didn't use their fancy schmancy paint cleaner or any of the other confusing crap.

Here are my thoughts:
  • Shine is great, but so is that of NXT - my wife can't tell the difference. My opinion: it's too close to call. Both are truly excellent in my opinion.
  • Zaino smells bad - at least the Z5. That may have been agentF1 putting bird poop into the stuff he gave me - who knows. But Meguiar's always smells nice.
  • VERY easy to apply - just wipe on, wipe off. It dried in about 15 minutes on this hot day in July, in my garage. NXT usually takes longer to dry.
  • I think Zaino Z5 came off with less hassle, with no debris at all -- pretty much one wipe. This is easier than taking NXT off in general.
  • Zaino has a disadvantage that you need to wait 24 hrs before applying a second coat. That's a shame because I'd REALLY like to see this after about 3 coats total -- it probably would be fantastic.

So I'm excited about my first Zaino experience -- was not difficult at all. At their website, you'll see that to get some basic stuff, you really don't have to spend a lot of $$$.

here's a minimal kit I thought I could use:
  • Zfx to help me do layers faster
  • Z2 - I have the impression this is the standard clear polish I should use routinely
  • Z5 - agentF1 already sent me that so I don't have to buy it. For scratches and swirls, apparently
  • maybe some Z6 spray - though I would doubt it is much different than the Meguiar's quick detailer I already have
That whole kit would cost about $60 - about double what I'd pay for Meguiar's NXT, some #26, and some quick detailer.

Here are my questions for you Zaino zealots out there:
1. what do you think? is that regimen above a good Zaino plan?
2. Should I just keep doing more coats of Z5 or after using one coat of Z5 should additional coats just be Z2 ?
3. have you tried putting a carnauba wax over top of Zaino ? like Souveran or Meguiars #26 -- I'm very tempted to do that after the Zaino cures.
4. Anyone apply coats of Z5 without waiting 24 hours in between? That 24 hour wait really is a disadvantage of Zaino

Now some pics:
NXT:

Zaino:

Check out the landscape reflections on the doors. There's no way a photo can show a difference between the two products. My own impression? They're both fantastic. I'll probably give Zaino a try for a while, then continue to use both lines of products, as well as Wolfgang sealant and Pinnacle Souveran which I also like. My wife thinks I'm crazy - she can't tell the difference between any of the products. "Your car is always shiny, I've never seen a spec of dirt on it - what's all the fuss about?" Maybe that's the bottom line when you're trying to compare 3 or 4 lines of products, all of which are excellent.

I welcome your comments, or answers to my questions above.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:01 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Just think how good it looks now and you even haven't used all of the other products

like the Z-3, Z-6, Z-8 so it can only get better right?
Old 07-23-2005, 05:03 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default There is no need to wait 24 hours if you use the ZFX forumula. You can do up to 3

coats in 24 hours.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:13 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are some pic attachments to give better resolution.
Attached Images    
Old 07-23-2005, 12:29 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

bugman - glad you're happy so far. I think you would be surprised by Z6 and Z8. They are both much better than Mist & Wipe, IMO; more gloss and slickness.

When I use Zaino, I apply 1-3 coats and no more...I think 3 is perfect. From there, I just maintain with the wash and QD.

I've tried topping Zaino before with very minimal results.

In all actuality, you are supposed to wait 12-24 hrs. before applying another coat of any brand of product (curing time).
Old 07-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Kevin V
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the temps are above 70* you only need to wait 6 hours to cure. When it is in the 90's you can add the next coat in less time. With the ZFX, 3 back to back coats.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:56 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks ! I put the second coat on yesterday, will do the third today -- only takes about 10 minutes to put on, 5 to take off. It's really great stuff !

I went and ordered the "kit" from the Zaino web site - I think it was like $85, so that I'll have plenty of Z2, Z5, and their spray to choose from. And the ZFx to make things quicker next time.

A bit expensive, but I think I'm getting results that are just as good as using
  • 3M imperial hand glaze]
  • then NXT
so in that sense this has actually been much easier.

And if it is durable, then this may be the better choice. Great stuff
Old 07-24-2005, 11:26 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

well, I've got 3 coats on now. And yes, I'm really thinking this is the best shine I've ever seen . What makes it the best is that it is TOTALLY even, no blotches, no streakes, The surface looks totally flawless -- except for a few scratches that were not covered by the Z5 . I guess they were just a little too deep.

My thought - The hype in here, and the Zaino web site all make Zaino SEEM FAR too complicated, time-consuming, and expensive. None of those three are true.

I think all Meguiars fans should just buy the Z5 and ZFX as a sample - unfortunately this costs $37 total. But you can just use this like you would any wax or sealant. Wipe on, allow to haze, wipe off. Just fantastic results. You don't have to use 20 steps to get fantastic results, even if the pure Zaino Zealots promote it that way. And you don't have to worry about your trim, nor having to scrape it out of cracks and crevices - it doesn't happen. It's really got many advantages, I JUST DON"T LIKE THE SMELL.

ok so now I realize I'm just talking to myself here, but that's ok -- same as I do in real life.

I love Meguiars, but agentF1 may have made me a true Zaino convert for now. When I get my kit in the mail, going to put about 20 more coats on.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bugman
What makes it the best is that it is TOTALLY even, no blotches, no streakes
Just wondering, but do you normally get blotches and streaks with other products?

Zaino is definitely not that hard to use. About the only part that is more time-consuming is that if you follow their directions, you generally have to wash your car twice. The stuff wipes on and off with ease.

If you really wanted to get in cheap to try it, you could probably just buy Z5 or Z2 and that's it, which would cut about $20 out of that $37 you mentioned.

I hope you follow up with some longer-term impressions as you have more experience with it.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:16 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Ahhh, another convert...

Bugman, glad you liked it. I think you will like the new Z2 Pro with ZFX like it is supposed to be used even better. I figured even without the ZFX it would be enough for you to get the idea. You will also really appreciate it alot more months later when it is still going strong and the NXT would have been long gone and your vette is still washing up real easy. The Z2 does have a better smell than the Z5 but I actually like the smell of both.

[Edit] Not sure what the kits contain but I hope you went for the Z8. The Z8 is one of my favorite Zaino products and really takes your finish to the next level in depth, the wet look and slickness.

Last edited by agentf1; 07-24-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:09 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

can't remember which , but yes, I've used some things before- probably carnauba waxes, that could give a steaky look if you weren't careful to apply LOTS to make sure there was thick coverage everywhere. With the Zaino, you use so little, it made me nervous that it could end up streaking -- but not at all.

Hmmm -- Z8 eh?
nope, the kit I got doesn't have Z8 -- the spray they give is Z6. I'll give that a try. Should I spray this stuff on after I put a coat of Z2 on?

And, Agent - you were right - the stuff you gave me - a few ounces or whatever, covered my C6 3 times just like you said -- have a few drops left, so that was just right to give me a try and get me hooked.

[I looked up your profession in your profile and it says "Drug pusher"]
Old 07-24-2005, 06:36 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Hmmm -- Z8 eh?
nope, the kit I got doesn't have Z8 -- the spray they give is Z6. I'll give that a try. Should I spray this stuff on after I put a coat of Z2 on?

And, Agent - you were right - the stuff you gave me - a few ounces or whatever, covered my C6 3 times just like you said -- have a few drops left, so that was just right to give me a try and get me hooked.

[I looked up your profession in your profile and it says "Drug pusher"]
Yes, now that you drank the Kool Aid you are done. After you are done a coat spray it with Z6 or Z8 and it will really make it pop. I like the Z8 better for this and it will actually add some protection and give you a wetter, deeper look. The Z6 is excellent too but it is more of a quick detailer and great for prepping the surface before you Zaino and misting your pad etc etc. I also really like their Leather products, they smell and work great too, I even use it on my leather couch. I am glad you liked it. I have yet to find a Zaino product I did not like.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I really owe you big time, Agent -
You know, they've got lots of free beer down here at the beach -- let me know if you're down this way on a cruise. The Hooters girls aren't as good as in PA, but they'll do.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

I really owe you big time, Agent -
You know, they've got lots of free beer down here at the beach -- let me know if you're down this way on a cruise. The Hooters girls aren't as good as in PA, but they'll do.
Beer and HOOTERS, I'm there.

Do you do the fall show in OC Md? Not sure if I will make it this year but will definetly try, the parade on the boardwalk is unbelievable.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:14 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

yep -- great plan !
I'll look forward to it.
I'll remember to drop you a note a few weeks ahead of time--
Old 07-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Rob4092xx
Drifting

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

I have an Expedition that has one coat of Finish First on it already.

I would love to switch to Zaino Z5 since it has cleaning agents in it also (???)

Can I simply use Z5 and nothing else instead of Finish First as I had been using? i.e.: No precleaners, no Z1, no claybar, not Z2, etc.?

I am not looking for the "POP" on my Expedition. I am looking for a product that cleans and protects for six months at a time.

Will I get similar results using Z5 only as I have with Finish First?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2005, 02:10 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
I have an Expedition that has one coat of Finish First on it already.

I would love to switch to Zaino Z5 since it has cleaning agents in it also (???)

Can I simply use Z5 and nothing else instead of Finish First as I had been using? i.e.: No precleaners, no Z1, no claybar, not Z2, etc.?

I am not looking for the "POP" on my Expedition. I am looking for a product that cleans and protects for six months at a time.

Will I get similar results using Z5 only as I have with Finish First?

Thanks!

Z-5 has no cleaners or abrasives in it. If you want great durability from Zaino use ZFX, or Z-1, wash your truck real good with Dawn and apply Zaino.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino review from nonbeliever - Thanks AgentF1 !

Old 07-26-2005, 02:13 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx
I am looking for a product that cleans and protects for six months at a time.
To my knowledge, there is no such product.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:40 PM
brzman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see zaino on alot of black or red cars, can someone
tell me what it would do on metallic finish's ?

thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 04:30 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,765 Likes on 968 Posts

It looks ok on blue too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Zaino review from nonbeliever - Thanks AgentF1 !