Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Longest lasting wax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:43 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Longest lasting wax?

For my daily driver, Trailblazer Ext.

What wax last the longest?

Nufinish - Claims 1 year
turtle wax - claims 6 months

Any others, The truck is way to large for bi-monthly waxing like the vette and uses way to much Zaino and detail spray.

It is the family vehicle and I plan on keeping it for 6 more years.

Thanks for your thoughs and opinions
Old 07-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Silver2002
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I use Zaino on my truck(full size pickup) and enclosed snowmobile trailer, and get at least 6 months of durability.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:00 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Zaino is the longest lasting product I have used.

Collonite advertises as being a very long lasting wax and was initially developed for use on electrical insulators or something. I think it is 845IW you want. I never tried it so I am going by word of mouth. I can tell you what wax you definetly don't want, NXT.

You can find Collinite products at www.pakshak.com.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 402 Likes on 283 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I also have a TrailBlazer. Was a Gold Class fan until I started using RejeX. The RejeX seems to last longer and gives off a better shine IMO. Living in Tennessee it gets pretty hot. It's been several months since I last applied RejeX and the water is still beading up.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:52 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,769 Likes on 970 Posts

Synthetic "waxes" like Zaino will outlast most carnauba waxes 5 to 1 in durability. I Zaino my Escalade 2 times a year, I can apply two coats with 1 oz of Z-2 with ZFX, that is doing the whole truck.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:11 PM
91C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-13-2005, 08:18 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Zaino is going to be the longest lasting (in my experience).
Old 07-13-2005, 09:15 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Ok, so I will stick to what I am doing

Thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 10:55 PM
lumberdog
Instructor

In my experience there is a product I tried for the first time "Vette Shield". I used it first on my daily driver Tahoe. First I used the deox cleaner which removed all of the oxidation and water spots. Then put on the shield with the teflon sealant. I put in on in early April. It had a great shine. I drove the truck through rain and even salty roads. To this day the water beads unbelieveably well and still has the great shine. I have used Zaino and NXT and they do not last nearly as long. So I put it on my vette and it is awesome. After a long trip with alot of bugs plastered on the nose I have never had them wash off soo easily. The shield is the best I have ever used and you don't have to do it nearly as much as the other products on the market. Here is the link to the product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Old 07-14-2005, 12:24 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lumberdog
In my experience there is a product I tried for the first time "Vette Shield". I used it first on my daily driver Tahoe. First I used the deox cleaner which removed all of the oxidation and water spots. Then put on the shield with the teflon sealant. I put in on in early April. It had a great shine. I drove the truck through rain and even salty roads. To this day the water beads unbelieveably well and still has the great shine. I have used Zaino and NXT and they do not last nearly as long. So I put it on my vette and it is awesome. After a long trip with alot of bugs plastered on the nose I have never had them wash off soo easily. The shield is the best I have ever used and you don't have to do it nearly as much as the other products on the market. Here is the link to the product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Sounds like an infomercial...

I've had 3 coats of Zaino last for more than 9 months.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:29 AM
VETFVER
Burning Brakes

Some will disagree with me but there are various versions Carnauba waxes that boil off the car just about as fast as you can put it on. The Polymer waxes do a great job and last a lot longer than Carnauba wax. They leave no film or yellow like Carnauba’s. Lastly, there are Acrylics, which last longer than Polymer’s. I have nothing but good things to say about Griot’s Garage Paint Sealant. They claim it can last a good 9 months. Nufinish has been around a very long time. I have not tested it but you may want to give it a try. If the shine is not to your liking you might try a second coat or put a Polymer over the top.

I feel exactly the same way about my wife’s car. I want the longest lasing thing I can find. I’ve told her a thousand times to not park under tree where birds rest and take a dump. She runs over everything on the road but we’ll save all those stories for another time. Right now we are just searching for a long lasting wax for a daily driver.

Good Luck!

VETFVER
Old 07-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Kevin V
Pro

Zaino here too, in 35 years and dozens of products I never found anything that is as durable.

Oh, and teflon does nothing for a car wax, it is simply a marketing ploy.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:45 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

If you are looking for durability than go with Zanio but like everything else in life there is trade offs for the durability. The finish has very little depth and wetness and replace warmth of Carnauba’s with sterile or plastic look. With the newer release of Zanio (Z2pro and Z8) they have tried to capture some of the qualities of a Carnauba’s but have still fell short.

Carnauba’s are not as reflective and shinny but that leads to the depth, wetness and warmth of Carnauba’s. Carnauba’s require more care and typically last 3 to 6 weeks on daily drivers and on my garage queens they will last a full summer with very little care. Most modern Carnauba’s have been infused with polymers as a bonding agent which is the same as Zanio uses.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:49 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 58Vette65
like everything else in life there is trade offs for the durability. The finish has very little depth and wetness and replace warmth of Carnauba’s with sterile or plastic look. With the newer release of Zanio (Z2pro and Z8) they have tried to capture some of the qualities of a Carnauba’s but have still fell short.
That is purely your opinion...as we found on the other board, most people (even you) have trouble determining differences.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:18 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 58Vette65
If you are looking for durability than go with Zanio but like everything else in life there is trade offs for the durability. The finish has very little depth and wetness and replace warmth of Carnauba’s with sterile or plastic look. With the newer release of Zanio (Z2pro and Z8) they have tried to capture some of the qualities of a Carnauba’s but have still fell short.

I respectfully disagree. I think they nailed it dead on. I did half my vette with Pinnacle Souveran and half with Z2p/Z8 and my wife and I could not pick out which was which, even in the sun. My opinion may have been biased but my wife did not see me do it and she has a pretty good eye, she usually gets it right when I ask her questions like that. But with that being said I never had a problem with the way the old stuff looked, I always liked that just pulled out of the spray booth look.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:57 AM
91C4
Instructor

Default Teflon in Wax!

Is just marketing. Teflon has to be heated to something like 400 degrees before it bonds with anything.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:11 AM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZaneO
That is purely your opinion...as we found on the other board, most people (even you) have trouble determining differences.
Here is the thread Zane is talking about http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59100

I have a silver blue (light blue) 1958 Vette that is by far my favorite car and the one I work on the most. To my disappointment I cannot tell the difference between waxes or sealants on this car and I have tried Zanio, DP Spray Shield, Wofgang, NXT, and Souveran. Last week I tried Zanio without much difference but last night I topped it with Souveran and still didn’t see much of a difference if any. So I think color plays important role in telling the difference between products. I will probably continue with Souveran not for the looks/durability but because I can spend some quality time with the car…

Now dark color cars I can see a difference between Waxes and Sealants but comparing sealant to sealants or waxes to waxes I don’t seem much of a difference.

Yes, it is purely my opinion...

Get notified of new replies

To Longest lasting wax?

Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 AM
RDVT4ME
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZaneO

Isn't that what he is asking for......people's opinion?

btw, 58vette......that is my favorite car. I have a (Clayworth) painting of that car sitting on the beach hanging in my office. Beautiful car!

Last edited by RDVT4ME; 07-14-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:43 AM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RDVT4ME
Isn't that what he is asking for......people's opinion?
Yes, he was asking for opinions on durability.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:52 AM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Teflon in a wax base would be as worthless as the wax itself. And a pure Teflon would require about 400 degrees to adhere. But when Teflon Particals are suspended in a Polymer base, that does form the bonding. I too have tested MANY products through the years and have found that a Teflon/Polymer combination will far outlast any other products.

Quick Reply: Longest lasting wax?